Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Pedantic Vs. Methodical discourse
    #9995759 - 03/18/09 03:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

How can you actually tell the difference, especially in writing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineflangenips
Batshitinsanse
 User Gallery

Loc: aotearoa Flag
Re: Pedantic Vs. Methodical discourse [Re: daytripper23]
    #9996244 - 03/18/09 04:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Good question.

It is hard to tell.

Surely one can get pretty pedantic in defending themself after initially being methodical. But then again, is there something necessarily wrong with this - if being pedantic exposes logical inconsistencies in rebuttals then wouldn't you feel like you are covering more ground to defend yourself?

I think being pedantic to the point that you end up exagerrating opposition points of view can be obvious though. That and being pedantic to the point that you are no longer applying something systematical and jumping all over the place without really getting to any point can be quite obvious. Go to your local Uni library in the philosophy section - they write books on shit that we try and express in a few paragraphs here - and it can be jumpy as hell. Though i'm not saying thats necessarily wrong either in terms of covering ground.

Often assumptions can be pedantic as is, and still its up to the opposition to defend themselves from this IMO. Thats just me though, i can certainly be very pedantic, especially if i'm arguing about a method.

--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Pedantic Vs. Methodical discourse [Re: daytripper23]
    #9996831 - 03/18/09 06:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Pedantic: Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules.

Discussing philosophy on an Internet forum has its drawbacks.  A key to overcome this is the ability to compress an idea into as few words as possible.  Some confuse wordiness with being pedantic or even methodical.  It is neither.  An emphasis on logical disputation by constantly referring to logical fallacies, etc, found in the forum's sticky could be considered pedantic.

Does this help?

By the way, I don't know if I indicated it or not, but I was looking forward to your comments in the last thread you started on language.  If you decline that is fine.  I just wanted you to know that.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder