Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineproud_republican
goin nowhere fast
Male

Loc: good question...
PF tek substrate question
    #9970100 - 03/14/09 12:22 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Sooooo... ive done two pf tek grows, and I want to move on to the bulk production. The only problem is, I REALLY overbought when I started, and ive still got like five pounds of BRF, and I dont want to waste it, as I paid for it.

My question for all of you is, how can I make a mini-monotub using the PF tek substrate and coir? I was thinking maybe some kind of home-made grow bag with PF tek substrate. Ive searched the site, and havent found much on this particular subject.

I was thinking about just making a big batch of PF tek substrate, putting it into a bag, and PCing it. Then I would follow monotub S.O.P. and go from there with some coir/verm/coffee for a bulk substrate. Im assuming that a standard ziplock bag will melt at the 250 degrees fahrenheit inside the pressure cooker, so what should I use?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and 5 shrooms for anyone who helps me out.

--------------------
When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.
And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see, there will be an answer. let it be.
Let it be, let it be, .....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
Re: PF tek substrate question [Re: proud_republican]
    #9970129 - 03/14/09 12:27 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

you could try doing it in a bag, i've never heard of anyone doing that though.

or you could just continue to do the pf jars, and then breaking that up into your bulk sub then casing. alot of people do that. keeps things pretty simple.

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

InvisibleSebastien
Don't look!
Male

#9970136 - 03/14/09 12:27 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

About the bag, why not get some oven bags? I've heard those work great!
I don't see much other way of using it all up other than how you suggested, so I'd say go for it! And also, seems that since you have so much left over, doesn't matter TOO much if you mess up some. Good luck!

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

#9970142 - 03/14/09 12:28 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

trying to do a large batch of pf substrate in a bag would take forever to colonize i would think. that material just isn't that conducive to quick colonizing times.

--------------------

OfflineMister Green
Stranger
Male

Re: PF tek substrate question [Re: grymmtymm]
    #9970144 - 03/14/09 12:29 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Get some boil-a-bags.

--------------------
:tripping2::jah:
We are all but recent leaves on the same old tree of life and if this life has adapted itself to new functions and conditions, it uses the same old basic principles over and over again.  There is no real difference between the grass and the man who mows it.  ~Albert Szent-Györgyi

The fish trap exists because of the fish.  Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap.  The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit.  Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare.  Words exist because of meaning.  Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words.  Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?  ~Chuang Tzu

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Re: PF tek substrate question [Re: Sebastien]
    #9970150 - 03/14/09 12:30 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

oven bags do work, i've used them before, they just don't contain the air exchange filters like the bags that are made for this type of stuff.

--------------------

Offlineproud_republican
goin nowhere fast
Male

Loc: good question...
    #9970157 - 03/14/09 12:31 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

I want to do a GT tub, but I only have about 4ml of GT inoculate left. Otherwise, I would just do jars and mix them in like you said.

I didnt think about the oven-bags, though. Good idea!

Could I make some custom oven-bags with the FAE patches, and if so, how?

--------------------
When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.
And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see, there will be an answer. let it be.
Let it be, let it be, .....

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

#9970207 - 03/14/09 12:41 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

im not sure how you could attach a filter to a bag and make it survive the pc'ing, but i believe you can find reusable bag filters like this http://www.shroomery.org/images/28017/171386788-Bag_Neck__Filters.jpg

--------------------

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9970380 - 03/14/09 01:13 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

4 ml is enough for 4 half pints if all or even e survive to 100% spawn that to bulk in a 6 qt sweater box... then when ya get fruit make prints... those small bulks are awesome to start with I've got 4 goin now and a lil 1 qt as well

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PF tek substrate question [Re: madwire3]
    #9970430 - 03/14/09 01:22 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

If you want to move onto bulk production you should just cook up a ton of 1 pint brf jars so you can use all your substrate up, then just spawn to coir or hpoo in a monotub and case, or fruit it uncased. You'll get great results and its just about the same as spawning grains to bulk, except your using brf. Here's a small expierament i did a while back spawning 7 1/2 pint brf cakes to half a brick of coir:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: PF tek substrate question [Re: large_dose]
    #9970737 - 03/14/09 02:27 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

The brf tek needs to be done in 1/2 pint jars for best results.  After full colonization, simply break up the birthed cakes and use them to inoculate pasteurized manure or coir, etc.  Oven bags suck.  Use filter patch bags that are made for the purpose and at least three times the thickness of oven bags.  They're available from nearly all our sponsors.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck