Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleeasyskunkin

buffer for coir as bulk substrate ?
    #9967838 - 03/13/09 11:51 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

I want to try coco coir as a bulk substrate because it's available here how much calcium carbonate do i need to use per volume to bring it to the right ph ? Can't get horticultural hydrated lime here. Or can I use it straight, without buffering ? I should pasteurize it in any case, right ?

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.
Voltaire ; Remarques sur les pensées de Pascal (1728)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: buffer for coir as bulk substrate ? [Re: easyskunkin]
    #9967855 - 03/13/09 11:55 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

You don't need to buffer it, so no lime.  Add gypsum at five to ten percent by volume to the amount of coir.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: buffer for coir as bulk substrate ? [Re: easyskunkin]
    #9967859 - 03/13/09 11:56 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

Follow the link in my signature called large doses coir tek..

Also I use 100% coir and add about 1 pint of coffee grounds to a brick of coir and that is it, ph is not that big of a problem.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: buffer for coir as bulk substrate ? [Re: Damion5050]
    #9968887 - 03/14/09 06:42 AM (15 years, 17 days ago)

I have never added other than coffee & verm to my coir substrates and they have worked out fine. I'll be adding some gypsum next time, to see if it improves the results.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Re: buffer for coir as bulk substrate ? [Re: dead]
    #9980413 - 03/16/09 06:12 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

dead said:
I have never added other than coffee & verm to my coir substrates and they have worked out fine. I'll be adding some gypsum next time, to see if it improves the results.

The wee fella is interested to know what ratio of coir/coffee/verm you used without a buffer.  The wee fella is having trouble finding a buffer around here.  Seems everywhere has stopped stocking it due to low demand.

Edited by Duggstar (03/22/09 08:46 AM)

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: buffer for coir as bulk substrate ? [Re: Duggstar]
    #9980420 - 03/16/09 06:14 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

I'm interested to know what ratio of coir/coffee/verm you used without a buffer.  I am having trouble finding a buffer around here.  Seems everywhere has stopped stocking it due to low demand.

Check my journal.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: buffer for coir as bulk substrate ? [Re: Duggstar]
    #9980520 - 03/16/09 07:18 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Duggstar said:
Quote:

dead said:

I'm interested to know what ratio of coir/coffee/verm you used without a buffer.  I am having trouble finding a buffer around here.  Seems everywhere has stopped stocking it due to low demand.

These are additives with which you don't have to be super exact. I add about 10% of each by volume, maybe a little more vermiculite. But I've also grown with straight coir before and it worked as well. Nowadays I normally use coir and straw in equal parts and add either spent coffee grounds or worm castings, plus gypsum and verm. Cubes aren't finicky. They won't say "Hey, this stuff only has 7% verm! Im not growing on THAT!".

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds