Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Transplanting loph seedlings
    #9951391 - 03/11/09 12:20 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

So I want to transplant my loph seedlings, which are presently growing in sphagnum peat. I'm afraid that as the peat decomposes, the soil will become to acidic and produce too much nitrogen for my seedlings.
I want to replant, but am afraid to do so because the seedlings are so small and the root systems are probably small as well.
Any tips or experience with this?

Here is the seedling

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGlasyalabolis
lost
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Transplanting loph seedlings [Re: satyr]
    #9951440 - 03/11/09 12:29 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

I was thinking about growing some seedlings in those as well.. I hadn't considered how I was going to replant them though :shrug:. I guess I figured I would just plant the whole thing whenever it got big enough.

You could try cutting away about half of it. I 'd say that seedligns root system isn't that far yet (maybe, I'm no expert). Then soak the rest in water and just wait untill it's nice and expanded and loose and hope most of it falls away.

I'd transplant what ever else remains attatched with it. It probably won't do any harm to the seedling, being so little an ammount.

That's what I'd do anyway lol.

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: Transplanting loph seedlings [Re: Glasyalabolis]
    #9951488 - 03/11/09 12:39 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

In my experience they work great. The seedlings grow and germinate rather quickly, and it gives me the opportunity to pick up each individual seedling and water as needed.
I also like them because they are consistent; Every night I water them by setting them in a small vessel of water, let them soak, and they stay completely moist until the next night. I allow them to remain dry for about 2 hours and then water again. This way there is no mold, algae or fungus, and I always know when my seedlings are moist or dry.

The only reason I want to transplant is as ive said, I'm afraid of the low pH coming back to haunt me, and the excess nitrogen of the composting peat.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #9951687 - 03/11/09 01:17 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

you are soon finding out why those things re not that great for loph seedlings :wink:  i would transplant when they are bigger personally....and taking them out of those is just going to take time and being careful :tongue:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #9967986 - 03/14/09 12:22 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

i would repot them all now while they have little root to damage during transplanting.
peat ain't good for cacti man, you could add lime i guess to counter act the pH drop as the peat decomposes and becomes more acidic.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds