Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMacGuyver
Stranger
Rye, Coir, Coffee... cased in terrarium or use filter patch bags?
    #9944115 - 03/10/09 04:52 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Hi, this is my first post so please, be gentle. :wink:

My friend started reading about shrooms just prior to Christmas, ordered his first syringe at the start of Jan & has 10 BRF PF cakes in a shotgun terrarium on perlite fruiting nicely thanks to RR's mushroom videos on Youtube (there were 16 cakes but 6 just didn't get inoculated properly - no contaminations, just no mycelium either).

He has his drying setup sorted & already has his first batch of mushroom powder filled gelatin capsules in storage.

He now has:
  • 7 pint mason jars (polyfill for gas exchange, silicon sealed hole for inoculation) of rye grain incubating (double tub with aquarium heater @ 27 degrees celsius).  They are all going nicely & will be done in a couple of days.
  • 4 bricks of coco coir
  • Coffee grounds
  • Vermiculite
  • Plastic trays
  • Filter patch bags * 10
  • Massive filter patch bags (with strips of filter accross whole length) * 5

My question is(and with so many different opinions it's different to find a clear answer on this with search), which is the best option out of these:

• Mix the rye with coco coir, verm & coffee to form bulk substrate, put in plastic trays, cover with foil for few days to let it colonise, sprinkle verm on top for casing layer & put in the terrarium on top of the perlite?
  • Case the rye with  coco coir, verm & coffee (copying MAGASH's 'rye bitches rye' tek & adding coffee) in plastic trays & put in the terrarium on top of the perlite?
  • Mix the rye with  coco coir, verm & coffee in the filter patch bags, seal & just leave in there to fruit (no need for terrarium)?
  • Something else?

Ideally my friend wants the least hassle approach as he's going away for a week in a couple of weeks & will have to leave everything in the hands of someone else.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Edited by MacGuyver (03/10/09 05:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Rye, Coir, Coffee... cased in terrarium or use filter patch bags? [Re: MacGuyver]
    #9944301 - 03/10/09 06:38 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Your first option would be the way to go in my opinion. Coco coir is used as a bulk sub because it is nutritious, not as a casing layer as thought in the past, and grains dont do as well on their own because they just dont hold that much moisture. As for the casing layer, straight verm isnt the best option. You would do better with a 50/50 mix of verm and peat, but like they say, a casing layer isnt totally necessary anyways.

And btw, with 7 pint jars youd only need to use probably less than 1 brick of coco coir.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Edited by iskinbash (03/10/09 06:39 AM)

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

Re: Rye, Coir, Coffee... cased in terrarium or use filter patch bags? [Re: iskinbash]
    #9944462 - 03/10/09 08:18 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Make monotubs, you can get two tubs out of 7 jars easy. And the yield will be awsome. Your friend will never look back.
Tek for easy pasturizing coir.

Tek for monotubs

OfflineMacGuyver
Stranger
Re: Rye, Coir, Coffee... cased in terrarium or use filter patch bags? [Re: mister]
    #9944756 - 03/10/09 09:51 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Thanks for your replies chaps.

Couple things:

• Verm & peat casing - why?  If the casing layer is non nutritious, why does it matter that you add peat?  (From what I've have read it's do do with PH levels, but would appreciate clarification?)
  • Monotub Tek & Coi pasteurisation tek - I can't access those links for some reason, it says 'access denied'?
  • No mention of the filter patch bags so far - is fruiting in the bag no good?  I thought this was the latest 'craze'!?

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Rye, Coir, Coffee... cased in terrarium or use filter patch bags? [Re: MacGuyver]
    #9944815 - 03/10/09 10:04 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

I think people fruit in a bag because they dont have room for tubs, or greenhouses. I myself would never do it because i have that space, and a bulk sub just gives off soo many fruits if done right. As for the peat/verm mixture, i believe the peat is able to hold much more moisture than verm alone. I dont know the exact science behind it, but i know that the mush gods have stated many times that verm alone isnt as good as peat.verm mix. There is a wonderful product out there, not sure where you are or the availability of it in your area, but its called Jiffy Mix. Its a premixed bag of 50/50 verm/peat with added lime for PH. Costs just a few bucks and you should be able to get it at any large home supply depot.

--------------------

OfflineMacGuyver
Stranger
Re: Rye, Coir, Coffee... cased in terrarium or use filter patch bags? [Re: iskinbash]
    #9945330 - 03/10/09 11:50 AM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Ok.. sounds like this is the way to go..  I'm in the UK, I'll have a look around for Jiffy Mix...

Do you know why can't I access those links for the monotub tek?

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9945373 - 03/10/09 12:00 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

It may be that because it is in grow logs and journals, it wont let you access till you have over 50 posts, but no worries, ill just copy and paste them for you.

--------------------

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9945375 - 03/10/09 12:00 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

large_dose said:
This is more about the container than the grow so i made the subcategory equipment.
They were done under the same conditions as usual but stacked ontop of eachother...
Saves hella space.

Drill holes so that the bottom of each hole is the depth you want your substrate at, you need to add some holes at the top too, however many will work.
With the clear tubs i used two black trashbag's to block light from the sides of the tub and act as a tray.

Your jars are fully colonized and its time to spawn.
Assuming your using my easy coir tek you already have the substrate measured out for each tub in each bucket your using...
dump it all in and even it out a little.

I like to use a fork to get the WBS out of the jars
dump all but a quart onto your substrate and mix it in well, then cut excess trashbag away.

Now use your last quart as a "frosting layer"
Spread it evenly then mix into the top inch or so of substrate.

Obviously nothing fancy, but a good tool the level.
I use it to scrape the top of the substrate and make it level as it can get.

I then pack the holes loosely with polyfil and put a blanket over them for colonization.
Here's a closeup of how the substrate looks before putting lid on, and the whole fineshed tub.

harvest pics.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask..
credit goes to all of you who's supplied good information to this board and especially ohm and mm who played a good role in this method of fruiting.
Some other great monotub links using clear bins, you might wanna refer to:

Eatyualives monotubs
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7780127/an/0/page/0
Fahsters monotubs
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7893964/an/0/page/0
Ohms monotubs
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5276282#5276282
Azurensces monotubs
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7946219/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

People tend to make life more complicated than it can be, we all have different size holes and air currents, all with great results.
Tweak it to your preforation and you'll end up with wonderful results like these, works great with any strain.

Peace :peace: :heart:

--------------------

Edited by iskinbash (03/10/09 12:04 PM)

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9945380 - 03/10/09 12:01 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Im quoting them. ill get the second one up in a sec

--------------------

Edited by iskinbash (03/10/09 12:04 PM)

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9945387 - 03/10/09 12:02 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

large_dose said:
Ingredients:

This thread is all about coir.

Your gonna need one brick coir, one quart spent coffee grounds, one quart vermiculite.
Check out the massive bags of spent coffee grounds starbucks will hook you up with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the exact steps i take:

1. Put pot on stove and pour in 1 gallon water.

2. Turn that baby on high, get the temp up to 170F
      A long stem thermometer is nice in this case

3. Throw in your coir, let it expand until its stir-able.

4. I like to mix all my additives up in a bowl, pour it all in.

5. Make sure you mix it all in really good, you want an even consistency.

6. Put lid on pot and let it sit for a minute or two
      Substrate will get into 200F range, this is fine

7. Pour substrate into bucket, cover, let cool.
      It will stay above 170F for an hour and cool overnight

Have your water ready if doing multiple bricks
Put pot right back on stove and pour in 1 gallon water.

Repeat steps 1-7 until you've made all the substrate your hands can work with :cool:
If your fast and you got it down you wont even have to turn your stove off the entire time.

All the buckets will cool in 6-8 hours, the next step is to build and spawn to a monotub:
The Ohmatic Monotub - A step by step pictorial

--------------------

Edited by iskinbash (03/10/09 12:05 PM)

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9945401 - 03/10/09 12:05 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

there ya go.

--------------------

OfflineMacGuyver
Stranger
    #9951143 - 03/11/09 11:31 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

iskinbash, you're a legend.  Thanks for these.

Do you think you could post the 'The Ohmatic Monotub - A step by step pictorial' up too? (linked in the coir instruction pictorial)

Would you recommend diving in to this monotub tek then rather than casing etc first?  I've read it can be prone to contamination, particularly for the noob?  I'm more than willing to give it a go though!

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9951168 - 03/11/09 11:36 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

The 'Ohmatic Monotub' tek seems to be the same link as the monotub tek i quoted at first. Hey man, if youre up to it, go for it! Just follow proper technique and dont cut corners and you should do well.

--------------------

Offlinethefinalhours
Student
 User Gallery

#9951198 - 03/11/09 11:41 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

MacGuyver said:
I've read it can be prone to contamination, particularly for the noob?  I'm more than willing to give it a go though!

it can be. My first was contaminated due to my lack of patience and following the guide to less than a perfect T. But I got it this time.

OfflineMacGuyver
Stranger
    #9951234 - 03/11/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Right, i'll go with that then seems best option for getting the most bang for my buck...

Do you know if Jiffy Mix is available in the UK?  Can find US suppliers, but nothing in the UK...

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9951272 - 03/11/09 11:54 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Not sure about that one. Im in the US and its pretty plentiful here. If you have any large home improvement stores with a garden center, they could have it there. If not, im sure they have peat/vermiculite and you could mix it yourself.

--------------------

OfflineMacGuyver
Stranger
    #10000388 - 03/19/09 11:25 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Ok, stage 1 complete..

I went with the monotub, spawned my rye to the coir, coffee & verm last night...

However I'm a bit concerned I made my holes too low (too close to the substrate).  They are basically level; the polyfill is touching the coir.

Does this mean I am prone to contams, or that the mycelium will attempt to colonise the polyfill causing all sorts of issues? 

When I did my PF cakes, the myclelium colonised the perlite where it came into contact with it - I think it wasted much of the cakes energies in doing so as as soon as I sorted that out they started fruiting...

Offlinebigtiger737
Stranger
    #13392191 - 10/26/10 08:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

post 1

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures