Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebloomersooner
Stranger
 User Gallery

wbs quality?
    #9926429 - 03/07/09 12:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

im starting my first grow, i bought "Hill Country Fare" WBS. im doing Fooman soak/simmer Tek atm. I poured the wbs in, and it seemed like an unusual amount of seed stayed at the top. i hadnt seen a pic or heard of this. So Im assuming this batch of wbs is crap?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: wbs quality? [Re: bloomersooner]
    #9926463 - 03/07/09 12:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

floaters are normal. if its like 50% floaters then what ya got sucks in quality but I read a few things from people who used th floaters and it did fine. not positive but maybe use all the floaters in a jar  and the rest just use the sinkers... see if the floaters do anything.. if they do fine then next time don't worry about seperating them ... good luck :smile:

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

OfflineTyphus
ALGUAALGUALGUALGUALGUALGUAL
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Minnesnota
    #9926501 - 03/07/09 12:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My fav wbs choice has about 20% floats off the bat. Look at the jars after you PC them, if at the bottom they turn to mush, then you know the wbs choice really sucks and not to buy that brand again. It may take some time trying out what you have in your area but most wbs brands I have tried work out fine in the end and it comes down to price.

--------------------
ARE YOU JENNA JAMESON BECAUSE I AM SERIOUSLY STIFF

Offlinebloomersooner
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: wbs quality? [Re: Typhus]
    #9926557 - 03/07/09 12:54 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ill just use whatever sank, if enough did. If its only half than I wont waste my time PCing. I dont want to potentially waste spores, trying floaters. Probably wiser to try LC.

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9926583 - 03/07/09 01:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

its a useful waste if u have extra spores. a cc in some floaters to see if 20% of what u have is garbage or not? depending on the size of the bag that could be enough spawn for a extra monotub worth the risk in my opinion. but if u don't have extra spores save em :smile: keep us posted

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

Offlinebloomersooner
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: wbs quality? [Re: madwire3]
    #9926697 - 03/07/09 01:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

madwire3 said:
its a useful waste if u have extra spores. a cc in some floaters to see if 20% of what u have is garbage or not? depending on the size of the bag that could be enough spawn for a extra monotub worth the risk in my opinion. but if u don't have extra spores save em :smile: keep us posted

you may have a point. But $6 20lbs wbs vs. 2 syringes($20) that took a week to arrive. Id rather lose the wbs.

I stirred the seed a little, and it doesn't look as bad as i expected.  Is there a way to store the soaked wbs, so i could put off PCing till tomorrow(otherwise itll take till 4am)?Can it Stay in the water?

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9926724 - 03/07/09 01:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeah wait to experiment when u have more spores... I'm not sure on the storage maybe just stick it in the fridge and pull it out an hour before ya wanna start?

--------------------
RR

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: wbs quality? [Re: madwire3]
    #9926762 - 03/07/09 01:53 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the whole "floaters are bad" thing is not true at all.

In fact I remember seeing a thread agar did where he did a jar of just floaters versus other WBS contents (such as just millet, just milo, etc) and the sunflower seeds(floaters) colonized faster than the other jars.

**EDIT** Here I found the link:  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3682337#3682337
This is similar but I also remember seeing another thread that did a full comparison...

Quote:

My fav wbs choice has about 20% floats off the bat. Look at the jars after you PC them, if at the bottom they turn to mush, then you know the wbs choice really sucks and not to buy that brand again. It may take some time trying out what you have in your area but most wbs brands I have tried work out fine in the end and it comes down to price.

The only time I've ever gotten mush at the bottom of jars is because I didn't fully rinse the WBS prior to and after the soak/simmer.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Edited by shroomzey (03/07/09 02:07 AM)

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: wbs quality? [Re: shroomzey]
    #9927126 - 03/07/09 06:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

In fact I remember seeing a thread agar did where he did a jar of just floaters versus other WBS contents (such as just millet, just milo, etc) and the sunflower seeds(floaters) colonized faster than the other jars.

Floaters are more than just sunflower seeds. Floaters refers to grain that floats. In my WBS it's mostly milo and sunflower seeds. I don't use the floaters, because the sunflower seeds are too large (I like small grain size) and the floating milo just seems suspicious. If it floats, it can't hold water very well.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: wbs quality? [Re: dead]
    #9927208 - 03/07/09 07:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have read a thread regarding use of the floaters. In fact, the poster did a side by side of straight sunflower "floaters" and the rest of the WBS. The sunflower only jar colonized much faster than the complete WBS, simply for the fact that the myc had more space to grow in. It's your decision in the end, but I would do a side by side. If your worried about wasting spores-Do a grain LC. I just did 2 on my first WBS grows and ended up with 400+cc (200cc off two different strains) off of two jars. Used the majority of grain in jars to spawn, then with ~1/5 of jar added sterilized distilled water, shake, withdraw. Bam-not only do you have a tray/tub of bulk but also quite a few LC syringes. The remaining seed can be left to recolonize and LC'ed again or even spawned to bulk as I did. Either way unless you really mess up, that should be the last time that you have to buy spores so I wouldn't sweat it too bad.

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: wbs quality? [Re: dead]
    #9927445 - 03/07/09 09:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dead said:
Quote:

Floaters are more than just sunflower seeds. Floaters refers to grain that floats. In my WBS it's mostly milo and sunflower seeds. I don't use the floaters, because the sunflower seeds are too large (I like small grain size) and the floating milo just seems suspicious. If it floats, it can't hold water very well.

that's been my logic as well. if it floats it's either too hard a shell and wont take on water or it's just a shell. i may try a jar of the floaters as an experiment next batch. i use the cheapest wbs i can find and only buy 4-10 lbs at a time. but then again i've been having trouble with too much moisture ( i believe ) lately and my colinization is sucking now.
do you guys have better luck with moisture content with simmer or 24hr soak?

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: wbs quality? [Re: shroomzey]
    #9927458 - 03/07/09 09:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shroomzey said:
the whole "floaters are bad" thing is not true at all.

**EDIT** Here I found the link:  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3682337#3682337
This is similar but I also remember seeing another thread that did a full comparison...

Quote:

The only time I've ever gotten mush at the bottom of jars is because I didn't fully rinse the WBS prior to and after the soak/simmer.

nice link, definately gonna try it now.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineNineInchNails
Stranger

Re: wbs quality? [Re: artizen]
    #9927527 - 03/07/09 10:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I see that a lot of guys are rinsing the WBS in a sink w/strainer. I tried that for about 30 seconds and was like "screw this"! I headed out into the back yard with a 5 gallon bucket and my garden hose. That made it a breeze. Swish it around, 100% of the sunflower seeds float to the top, and spill over the bucket. Any floaters got chucked. All the crud gets kicked up and easily dumped out for a quick water change. I filled the bucket up probably several times kicking up crud and just dumped it out until the water came up clear. This only took a few minutes too.

I let my WBS soak for 24 hrs and it seemed to swell up a little bit ... just a little so I began using the garden hose to flush the WBS again several times until it came out clear.

5 gal buckets are the shit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate