Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd
    #9925447 - 03/06/09 08:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor.

If one believes Homer, Sisyphus was the wisest and most prudent of mortals. According to another tradition, however, he was disposed to practice the profession of highwayman. I see no contradiction in this. Opinions differ as to the reasons why he became the futile laborer of the underworld. To begin with, he is accused of a certain levity in regard to the gods. He stole their secrets. Egina, the daughter of Esopus, was carried off by Jupiter. The father was shocked by that disappearance and complained to Sisyphus. He, who knew of the abduction, offered to tell about it on condition that Esopus would give water to the citadel of Corinth. To the celestial thunderbolts he preferred the benediction of water. He was punished for this in the underworld. Homer tells us also that Sisyphus had put Death in chains. Pluto could not endure the sight of his deserted, silent empire. He dispatched the god of war, who liberated Death from the hands of her conqueror.

It is said that Sisyphus, being near to death, rashly wanted to test his wife's love. He ordered her to cast his unburied body into the middle of the public square. Sisyphus woke up in the underworld. And there, annoyed by an obedience so contrary to human love, he obtained from Pluto permission to return to earth in order to chastise his wife. But when he had seen again the face of this world, enjoyed water and sun, warm stones and the sea, he no longer wanted to go back to the infernal darkness. Recalls, signs of anger, warnings were of no avail. Many years more he lived facing the curve of the gulf, the sparkling sea, and the smiles of earth. A decree of the gods was necessary. Mercury came and seized the impudent man by the collar and, snatching him from his joys, lead him forcibly back to the underworld, where his rock was ready for him.

You have already grasped that Sisyphus is the absurd hero. He is, as much through his passions as through his torture. His scorn of the gods, his hatred of death, and his passion for life won him that unspeakable penalty in which the whole being is exerted toward accomplishing nothing. This is the price that must be paid for the passions of this earth. Nothing is told us about Sisyphus in the underworld. Myths are made for the imagination to breathe life into them. As for this myth, one sees merely the whole effort of a body straining to raise the huge stone, to roll it, and push it up a slope a hundred times over; one sees the face screwed up, the cheek tight against the stone, the shoulder bracing the clay-covered mass, the foot wedging it, the fresh start with arms outstretched, the wholly human security of two earth-clotted hands. At the very end of his long effort measured by skyless space and time without depth, the purpose is achieved. Then Sisyphus watches the stone rush down in a few moments toward that lower world whence he will have to push it up again toward the summit. He goes back down to the plain.

It is during that return, that pause, that Sisyphus interests me. A face that toils so close to stones is already stone itself! I see that man going back down with a heavy yet measured step toward the torment of which he will never know the end. That hour like a breathing-space which returns as surely as his suffering, that is the hour of consciousness. At each of those moments when he leaves the heights and gradually sinks toward the lairs of the gods, he is superior to his fate. He is stronger than his rock.

If this myth is tragic, that is because its hero is conscious. Where would his torture be, indeed, if at every step the hope of succeeding upheld him? The workman of today works everyday in his life at the same tasks, and his fate is no less absurd. But it is tragic only at the rare moments when it becomes conscious. Sisyphus, proletarian of the gods, powerless and rebellious, knows the whole extent of his wretched condition: it is what he thinks of during his descent. The lucidity that was to constitute his torture at the same time crowns his victory. There is no fate that can not be surmounted by scorn.

If the descent is thus sometimes performed in sorrow, it can also take place in joy. This word is not too much. Again I fancy Sisyphus returning toward his rock, and the sorrow was in the beginning. When the images of earth cling too tightly to memory, when the call of happiness becomes too insistent, it happens that melancholy arises in man's heart: this is the rock's victory, this is the rock itself. The boundless grief is too heavy to bear. These are our nights of Gethsemane. But crushing truths perish from being acknowledged. Thus, Edipus at the outset obeys fate without knowing it. But from the moment he knows, his tragedy begins. Yet at the same moment, blind and desperate, he realizes that the only bond linking him to the world is the cool hand of a girl. Then a tremendous remark rings out: "Despite so many ordeals, my advanced age and the nobility of my soul make me conclude that all is well." Sophocles' Edipus, like Dostoevsky's Kirilov, thus gives the recipe for the absurd victory. Ancient wisdom confirms modern heroism.

One does not discover the absurd without being tempted to write a manual of happiness. "What!---by such narrow ways--?" There is but one world, however. Happiness and the absurd are two sons of the same earth. They are inseparable. It would be a mistake to say that happiness necessarily springs from the absurd. discovery. It happens as well that the felling of the absurd springs from happiness. "I conclude that all is well," says Edipus, and that remark is sacred. It echoes in the wild and limited universe of man. It teaches that all is not, has not been, exhausted. It drives out of this world a god who had come into it with dissatisfaction and a preference for futile suffering. It makes of fate a human matter, which must be settled among men.

All Sisyphus' silent joy is contained therein. His fate belongs to him. His rock is a thing Likewise, the absurd man, when he contemplates his torment, silences all the idols. In the universe suddenly restored to its silence, the myriad wondering little voices of the earth rise up. Unconscious, secret calls, invitations from all the faces, they are the necessary reverse and price of victory. There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night. The absurd man says yes and his efforts will henceforth be unceasing. If there is a personal fate, there is no higher destiny, or at least there is, but one which he concludes is inevitable and despicable. For the rest, he knows himself to be the master of his days. At that subtle moment when man glances backward over his life, Sisyphus returning toward his rock, in that slight pivoting he contemplates that series of unrelated actions which become his fate, created by him, combined under his memory's eye and soon sealed by his death. Thus, convinced of the wholly human origin of all that is human, a blind man eager to see who knows that the night has no end, he is still on the go. The rock is still rolling.

I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain! One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night filled mountain, in itself forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

---Albert Camus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: daytripper23]
    #9926550 - 03/07/09 12:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I always enjoy that story. What an ending: "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." I love Camus' Absurd Reasoning.

Nice little Albert Camus quote:
"To two men living the same number of years, the world always provides the same sum of experiences. It is up to us to be conscious of them."

Good post fo sho.:thumbup:

--------------------
A human race with more highly developed spiritual capacities, with expanded consciousness of the depth and the incomprehensible wonder of being, would also have greater understanding of and better consideration for the biological and material foundation of life on this earth, Above all, for Western people with their hypertrophied rationality, the development and expansion of a direct, emotional experience of reality, unobstructed by words and concepts, would be of evolutionary significance.

Beginning to think is beginning to be undermined.

To fall in hell or soar angelic,
You need a pinch of psychedelic.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
    #9926611 - 03/07/09 01:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

closely related to our own lives, wouldn't you say?

Sisyphus was stuck rolling the damned rock up that hill every, single, day.
Routine.

I go to work and class on a tight schedule, every, single, day.
Routine.

If life is, by chance, an absurd happening... and this is my only shot at it...
I'm already damned to the same hell as Sisyphus.

And does that then make :suicide: (the greatest philosophical question in the words of Camus) alright?

Absurdism(proper name?) is always fun to think about... unless you think about it too much... then I might just take myself out.

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Edited by igwna (03/07/09 01:09 AM)

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: igwna]
    #9926777 - 03/07/09 02:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No, no man. Its not the absurd that leads to your demise. What Camus says is that once you realize that life is absurd then it would be giving into the absurd to kill yourself. So instead he urges to find 'meaning' in acknowledging the absurd and refusing to give in. Hence: Absurd Reasoning. I am sure Albert would smack me in the face for summing up his whole philosophy in such elementary terms but I am admittedly not that well read on the subject yet. That's just my understanding of it as of yet. After I'm done with Nietzsche and Sartre then I am going to start on some Camus. Genius man in my opinion.

And I actively try to not live my life by any strict schedule. I try to look at the clock as little as possible each day, I don't know its just something absurd that I do.;)

--------------------
A human race with more highly developed spiritual capacities, with expanded consciousness of the depth and the incomprehensible wonder of being, would also have greater understanding of and better consideration for the biological and material foundation of life on this earth, Above all, for Western people with their hypertrophied rationality, the development and expansion of a direct, emotional experience of reality, unobstructed by words and concepts, would be of evolutionary significance.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Moonraker]
    #9926808 - 03/07/09 02:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ooh, i don't know much of camus. read up on him a few times but never got really in depth.

i think i may thought the same you just said at one point (sounds familiar)

but that streetlight manifesto songs rings in my ears sometimes

How did Camus really die that night?
Were they right, when he died was it really his time?
or was it suicide?

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: igwna]
    #9927615 - 03/07/09 10:51 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was recently having a discussion on the terms used to describe the psychedelic experience (entheogens, psychedelics, or hallucinogens), and this is what really inspired me to make the post. I was once again reading through Camus' essay last night, and it struck me how closely the description of "the absurd" reflects my own thoughts on hallucinations.

Most people in our circle do not use the term hallucinogen/hallucination though, as I think it was typically a derogatory term used to deprecate the experience. Why would anyone want to hallucinate besides deluding themselves, and better yet, why should anyone be allowed to hallucinate?

Well I can't think of a better word for this experience, and will use it even when it only makes me seem insane. I think any sweetening of this description will only distract from the basic significance. Sure there are many "psychedelic" descriptions that are true to the experience; for instance you may tell someone to just listen to this album if you want to illustrate the experience, but when the discussion concerns using these substances as shamanic or existential tools, a description of a hallucinatory reality is something I do not think can be in any way avoided.

If this is what I am seeking to describe, I don't think there is any way around this, and so must be either said simply or not said at all. Of course I am going to consider to whom I reveal myself, and I will be tentative to this, but as to the description itself, I can't in any way sugarcoat the hallucinatory reality. In my mind, this is what is going on, and it should be stated simply and clearly.

It is the secular contrast between hallucination and reality: While there certainly seems to be a mystifying, wispy "illusion" to this, one can consider these hallucinations as somewhere in between being and nothingness, rather than relying on notions of reality outside of this being; a metaphysical transcendence. 

So "Hallucinogen" is basically a paradox in this way, because it is described in somewhat transcendental terms. It is at least a conflict, because it appeals to both an inner and outer perspective at once. For instance, a sole person cannot really hallucinate, because he can only experience what he perceives as reality. The idea of "hallucination" arises from a conflict with an outer reality. I will perhaps stress this most; the within and without, and will nonetheless consider it in the immanent terms of self because this is indeed the reality we all face, however paradoxical it might be. A hallucinatory reality for the individual, or an inquiry of sanity in mere regard to oneself, in our case the recognition of a hallucinatory reality; this is what Camus describes in a reality undermined, or the immanently absurd. 

So sure, a hallucinatory reality is a paradox, but so isn't the absurd? How is it that man is endowed with reason, but with no world to actually make sense of? Whereas existentialism might conduct an inquiry in terms of reality, a hallucination reflects the same question towards illusion. Hallucination and existentialism are two sides of the same coin.

Edited by daytripper23 (03/07/09 12:04 PM)

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#9927780 - 03/07/09 11:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I never understood why we must imagine Sisyphus happy.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #9928282 - 03/07/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

He's not really at all IMO but it's what he has to tell himself to stay somewhat comfortable in his cage.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Icelander]
    #9929334 - 03/07/09 04:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No Sisyphus is happy as can be, or at least as happy as you can imagine any human being. If you cannot realize why Sisyphus is happy then you don't truly know why you are happy (if you are happy that is).

--------------------

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9929355 - 03/07/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

An Absurd Reasoning
Absurdity and Suicide

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that
is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to
answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest—
whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind
has nine or twelve categories—comes afterwards. These are
games; one must first answer. And if it is true, as Nietzsche claims,
that a philosopher, to deserve our respect, must preach by example,
you can appreciate the importance of that reply, for it will precede
the definitive act. These are facts the heart can feel; yet they call
for careful study before they become clear to the intellect.
If I ask myself how to judge that this question is more urgent
than that, I reply that one judges by the actions it entails. I have
never seen anyone die for the ontologi-cal argument. Galileo, who
held a scientific truth of great importance, abjured it with the
greatest ease as soon as it endangered his life. In a certain sense, he
did right.[1] That truth was not worth the stake. Whether the earth
or the sun revolves around the other is a matter of profound
indifference. To tell the truth, it is a futile question. On the other
hand, I see many people die because they judge that life is not
worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas
or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a
reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore
conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions.
How to answer it? On all essential problems (I mean thereby those
that run the risk of leading to death or those that intensify the
passion of living) there are probably but two methods of thought:
the method of La Palisse and the method of Don Quixote. Solely
the balance between evidence and lyricism can allow us to achieve
simultaneously emotion and lucidity. In a subject at once so
humble and so heavy with emotion, the learned and classical
dialectic must yield, one can see, to a more modest attitude of mind
deriving at one and the same time from common sense and
understanding.
Suicide has never been dealt with except as a social
phenomenon. On the contrary, we are concerned here, at the outset,
with the relationship between individual thought and suicide. An
act like this is prepared within the silence of the heart, as is a great
work of art. The man himself is ignorant of it. One evening he
pulls the trigger or jumps. Of an apartment-building manager who
had killed himself I was told that he had lost his daughter five
years before, that be bad changed greatly since, and that that
experience had “undermined” him. A more exact word cannot be
imagined. Beginning to think is beginning to be undermined.
Society has but little connection with such beginnings. The worm
is in man’s heart. That is where it must be sought. One must follow
and understand this fatal game that leads from lucidity in the face
of existence to flight from light.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#9929456 - 03/07/09 05:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hey did you find that online? I was looking for an online version to quote from.

OfflineMoonraker
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9930748 - 03/07/09 09:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No I just happened across some .pdf files of Camus' work. Not necessarily online... I could probably send them to you if you want.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#9930995 - 03/07/09 09:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thats ok I was meaning to quote part of that passage anyways:

Quote:

Whether the earth
or the sun revolves around the other is a matter of profound
indifference.

(I love this line)

To tell the truth, it is a futile question. On the other
hand, I see many people die because they judge that life is not
worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas
or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a
reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore
conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions.
How to answer it? On all essential problems (I mean thereby those
that run the risk of leading to death or those that intensify the
passion of living) there are probably but two methods of thought:
the method of La Palisse and the method of Don Quixote. Solely
the balance between evidence and lyricism can allow us to achieve
simultaneously emotion and lucidity.

La Palisse's method is described as fighting what is worth fighting, which I suppose works if you can find this, but the method I have been trying to describe as "hallucinogenic" - well this is basically Don Quixote's. If youve ever read Don Quixote, you'll know that he is a pretty trippy guy.

I guess I'm just wondering who else thought that this essay was very trippy, because this is the sense I get.

I mean, this is exactly where I am in my trips recently, probably for the last year and a half. I am just waiting for the courage or stupidity to push me over this edge (by that i mean take a large enough dose) because its the only thing that makes sense anymore. To elaborate a bit, I mean that everything mundane/theoretical seems to make perfect sense, but it is all associative, arrows pointing at more arrows. Its always enjoyable to bask in this harmony for a few hours, to really see and feel this, and I feel enlightened in a certain sense. But while all of this is so sensible, it is completely undermined by a lack of true meaning: A conspiricy of meaning to wipe me out, or me to do it myself, this would make so much sense!! So much sense, that I am always waiting for it, until I can finally forget when I am sober.

Back to theory though, I tend to interpret Camus by eastern concepts; I always got a sense that he was describing suffering, samsara, and karma, just from a western lens. But there is no notion of Nirvana, or escape. Sisyphus is always at work, yet Camus claims we must assume he is happy. While Camus makes a whole lot of sense to me in many ways, I can't put my finger on this.

So why do you think he is happy?

Edited by daytripper23 (03/07/09 11:45 PM)

InvisibleLakefingers
    #9932344 - 03/08/09 06:23 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So the question, as Thoreau put it, is to live in wisdom or to live in desperation--

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Lakefingers]
    #9932959 - 03/08/09 11:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That reminds me, I really need to read Thoreau again. I read Walden 2 summers ago, but way too fast.

But yea I think he is presenting us with that sort of choice. "One must imagine Sisyphus happy" is certainly not something we  can attribute to his particular circumstances, nor by this way is it something we can really understand. Whether or not Sisyphus is actually optimistic is secondary to Camus' basic point:

Quote:

One does not discover the absurd without being tempted to write a manual of happiness. "What!---by such narrow ways--?" There is but one world, however. Happiness and the absurd are two sons of the same earth.

So I think "one must imagine Sisyphus is happy", is being presented as the only wise decision, simply by nihilation of any other possibility. Why live if life is not worth living? Perhaps by this he is only urging us to confront the absurd.

InvisibleLakefingers
    #9940107 - 03/09/09 02:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The prerogatives of the endangered intellect and body.

OfflineCult of veda
Galactic wave ryder

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Lakefingers]
    #9947456 - 03/10/09 06:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

cheers on the thread, good read guys.

--------------------
GROWIN IN NUMBERS...

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Cult of veda]
    #10554550 - 06/22/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The mind’s first step is to distinguish what is true from what is
false. However, as soon as thought reflects on itself, what it first
discovers is a contradiction. Useless to strive to be convincing in
this case. Over the centuries no one has furnished a clearer and
more elegant demonstration of the business than Aristotle: “The
often ridiculed consequence of these opinions is that they destroy
themselves. For by asserting that all is true we assert the truth of
the contrary assertion and consequently the falsity of our own
thesis (for the contrary assertion does not admit that it can be true).
And if one says that all is false, that assertion is itself false. If we
declare that solely the assertion opposed to ours is false or else that
solely ours is not false, we are nevertheless forced to admit an
infinite number of true or false judgments. For the one who
expresses a true assertion proclaims simultaneously that it is true,
and so on ad infinitum.”

This vicious circle is but the first of a series in which the mind
that studies itself gets lost in a giddy whirling. The very simplicity
of these paradoxes makes them irreducible. Whatever may be the
plays on words and the acrobatics of logic, to understand is, above
all, to unify. The mind’s deepest desire, even in its most elaborate
operations, parallels man’s unconscious feeling in the face of his
universe: it is an insistence upon familiarity, an appetite for clarity.
Understanding the world for a man is reducing it to the human,
stamping it with his seal. The cat’s universe is not the universe of
the anthill. The truism “All thought is anthropomorphic” has no
other meaning. Likewise, the mind that aims to understand reality
can consider itself satisfied only by reducing it to terms of thought.
If man realized that the universe like him can love and suffer, he
would be reconciled. If thought discovered in the shimmering
mirrors of phenomena eternal relations capable of summing them
up and summing themselves up in a single principle, then would be
seen an intellectual joy of which the myth of the blessed would be
but a ridiculous imitation. That nostalgia for unity, that appetite for
the absolute illustrates the essential impulse of the human drama.
But the fact of that nostalgia’s existence does not imply that it is to
be immediately satisfied. For if, bridging the gulf that separates
desire from conquest, we assert with Parmenides the reality of the
One (whatever it may be), we fall into the ridiculous contradiction
of a mind that asserts total unity and proves by its very assertion its
own difference and the diversity it claimed to resolve. This other
vicious circle is enough to stifle our hopes.

These are again truisms. I shall again repeat that they are not
interesting in themselves but in the consequences that can be
deduced from them. I know another truism: it tells me that man is
mortal. One can nevertheless count the minds that have deduced
the extreme conclusions from it. It is essential to consider as a
constant point of reference in this essay the regular hiatus between
what we fancy we know and what we really know, practical assent
and simulated ignorance which allows us to live with ideas which,
if we truly put them to the test, ought to upset our whole life. Faced
with this inextricable contradiction of the mind, we shall fully
grasp the divorce separating us from our own creations. So long as
the mind keeps silent in the motionless world of its hopes,
everything is reflected and arranged in the unity of its nostalgia.
But with its first move this world cracks and tumbles: an infinite
number of shimmering fragments is offered to the understanding.
We must despair of ever reconstructing the familiar, calm surface
which would give us peace of heart. After so many centuries of
inquiries, so many abdications among thinkers, we are well aware
that this is true for all our knowledge. With the exception of
professional rationalists, today people despair of true knowledge. If
the only significant history of human thought were to be written, it
would have to be the history of its successive regrets and its
impotences.

Of whom and of what indeed can I say: “I know that!” This
heart within me I can feel, and I judge that it exists. This world I
can touch, and I likewise judge that it exists. There ends all my
knowledge, and the rest is construction. For if I try to seize this self
of which I feel sure, if I try to define and to summarize it, it is
nothing but water slipping through my fingers. I can sketch one by
one all the aspects it is able to assume, all those likewise that have
been attributed to it, this upbringing, this origin, this ardor or these
silences, this nobility or this vileness. But aspects cannot be added
up. This very heart which is mine will forever remain indefinable
to me. Between the certainty I have of my existence and the
content I try to give to that assurance, the gap will never be filled.
Forever I shall be a stranger to myself. In psychology as in logic,
there are truths but no truth. Socrates’”Know thyself” has as much
value as the “Be virtuous” of our confessionals. They reveal a
nostalgia at the same time as an ignorance. They are sterile
exercises on great subjects. They are legitimate only in precisely so
far as they are approximate.

And here are trees and I know their gnarled surface, water and
I feel its taste. These scents of grass and stars at night, certain
evenings when the heart relaxes—how shall I negate this world
whose power and strength I feel? Yet all the knowledge on earth
will give me nothing to assure me that this world is mine. You
describe it to me and you teach me to classify it. You enumerate its
laws and in my thirst for knowledge I admit that they are true. You
take apart its mechanism and my hope increases. At the final stage
you teach me that this wondrous and multicolored universe can be
reduced to the atom and that the atom itself can be reduced to the
electron. All this is good and I wait for you to continue. But you
tell me of an invisible planetary system in which electrons
gravitate around a nucleus. You explain this world to me with an
image. I realize then that you have been reduced to poetry: I shall
never know. Have I the time to become indignant? You have
already changed theories. So that science that was to teach me
everything ends up in a hypothesis, that lucidity founders in
metaphor, that uncertainty is resolved in a work of art. What need
had I of so many efforts? The soft lines of these hills and the hand
of evening on this troubled heart teach me much more. I have
returned to my beginning. I realize that if through science I can
seize phenomena and enumerate them, I cannot, for all that,
apprehend the world. Were I to trace its entire relief with my
finger, I should not know any more. And you give me the choice
between a description that is sure but that teaches me nothing and
hypotheses that claim to teach me but that are not sure. A stranger
to myself and to the world, armed solely with a thought that
negates itself as soon as it asserts, what is this condition in which I
can have peace only by refusing to know and to live, in which the
appetite for conquest bumps into walls that defy its assaults? To
will is to stir up paradoxes. Everything is ordered in such a way as
to bring into being that poisoned peace produced by
thoughtlessness, lack of heart, or fatal renunciations.

Hence the intelligence, too, tells me in its way that this world is
absurd. Its contrary, blind reason, may well claim that all is clear; I
was waiting for proof and longing for it to be right. But despite so
many pretentious centuries and over the heads of so many eloquent
and persuasive men, I know that is false. On this plane, at least,
there is no happiness if I cannot know. That universal reason,
practical or ethical, that determinism, those categories that explain
everything are enough to make a decent man laugh. They have
nothing to do with the mind. They negate its profound truth, which
is to be enchained. In this unintelligible and limited universe,
man’s fate henceforth assumes its meaning. A horde of irrationals
has sprung up and surrounds him until his ultimate end. In his
recovered and now studied lucidity, the feeling of the absurd
becomes clear and definite. I said that the world is absurd, but I
was too hasty. This world in itself is not reasonable, that is all that
can be said. But what is absurd is the confrontation of this
irrational and the wild longing for clarity whose call echoes in the
human heart. The absurd depends as much on man as on the world.
For the moment it is all that links them together. It binds them one
to the other as only hatred can weld two creatures together. This is
all I can discern clearly in this measureless universe where my
adventure takes place. Let us pause here. If I hold to be true that
absurdity that determines my relationship with life, if I become
thoroughly imbued with that sentiment that seizes me in face of the
world’s scenes, with that lucidity imposed on me by the pursuit of
a science, I must sacrifice everything to these certainties and I must
see them squarely to be able to maintain them. Above all, I must
adapt my behavior to them and pursue them in all their
consequences. I am speaking here of decency. But I want to know
beforehand if thought can live in those deserts.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Edited by daytripper23 (06/22/09 11:12 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #10554589 - 06/22/09 04:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Very very interesting this is to me.

If this myth is tragic, that is because its hero is conscious. Where would his torture be, indeed, if at every step the hope of succeeding upheld him? The workman of today works everyday in his life at the same tasks, and his fate is no less absurd. But it is tragic only at the rare moments when it becomes conscious. Sisyphus, proletarian of the gods, powerless and rebellious, knows the whole extent of his wretched condition: it is what he thinks of during his descent.

This is the fate of Icelander. And I conclude there is nothing of importance. To continue on or to end it has the same meaning. The same meaning because it was always that way from the beginning and realizing that, in one's  later days, doesn't change anything at all. So each day is played out as if something were to come of it, as it was before this awareness. In the end it's all dust.

The hero's myth, the anxiety of non being, it's all good for a laugh if you can manage it.:satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: The Myth of Sisyphus; The Absurd [Re: Icelander]
    #10556490 - 06/22/09 09:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well said.

Absurdism is pretty close to my philosophy too.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals