Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineworowa
Professor
 User Gallery
How to simulate storm water?
    #9925296 - 03/06/09 08:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

G'day,
Lightning somehow enables atmospheric Nitrogen to become soluble in water-I think it's to do with negative electrical charge.
Plants always look amazing after a thunderstorm, and shrooms appear to benefit as well.
Does anybody know of simple ways to electrically charge water?
I'm thinking of misting or spraying with negatively charged water, in order to catch the atmospheric Nitrogen.
Alternatively, maybe I could negatively charge the atmosphere in my GH prior to misting/spraying?
Cheers

--------------------
We are all in this together.
Visit my site, forestfungi.com.au, let me know what you think.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSeroind
Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: worowa]
    #9925412 - 03/06/09 08:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Can you provide links to information regarding this?  The mechanism behind it must be known before we can try to artificially produce it.

InvisibleMoniker_Mike
Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: Seroind]
    #9928403 - 03/07/09 01:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking about what the effects of electricity could be in regards to mushroom growth just the other day. I have a $2000 medical grade muscle stimulator that I want to experiment with. I have no knowledge in regards to electricity and organic lifeforms though.

Anyone have knowledge of this subject?

--------------------
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours. - HST

MONIKER COLLECTIVE SHIRTS AVAILABLE VIA MYSOTI.COM

OfflineJonat
Stranger
    #9930512 - 03/07/09 08:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I'm thinking of misting or spraying with negatively charged water, in order to catch the atmospheric Nitrogen.

Probably doesn't quite work that way. Atmospheric nitrogen (N2) is incredibly stable, and it takes a lot of energy to pull it apart. Lightning will split it.  The Haber industrial process uses high temperature, high pressure, and a catalyst to split nitrogen, then it is converted to ammonia or some other nitrogenous compound for fertilizer. I know that air ionizers can split O2 into singlet oxygen, which forms ozone (that can be good and bad, depending on whether or not you breathe it). But I don't think the average ionizer is going to split much nitrogen.

Offlineworowa
Professor
 User Gallery
Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: Jonat]
    #9942005 - 03/09/09 08:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry Seronoid, I don't have links, just stuff I've heard and thought about.

Jonat, does the Nitrogen have to be split to become soluble? I was hoping that the negative charge on the water molecules might somehow "attract" Nitrogen molecules, bringing them down as they fall.

Has anyone noticed improved growth in atmospheres that are negatively charged, such as a GH with a negative ioniser?

--------------------

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
    #9943005 - 03/09/09 10:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Nitrogen is always soluble in water, but not bio-available, that is except to Nitrogen fixing Bacteria.  Perhaps you are suggesting that lighting creates nitrates or nitrites out of nitrogen and oxygen. These compounds are both water soluble and bioavailable.  Also you can dissolve a lot more nitrogen in water in the nitrate or nitrite form, and plants can certainly absorb this through their leaves, and use it as a nutrient. Fungi can use it too.

Mono-atomic (split or N1) nitrogen would likely be damaging to any living thing it encountered.

Water is a polar molecule.  That means it has a positive end and a negative end.  It might attract any charged molecule, POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.

You mention a greenhouse. Are we talking about plants ?

It would seem unlikely that these experiments would benefit plants as much, say, as leaf feeding (misting) with a dilute fertilizer solution.

Perhaps if you said what it was you are trying to accomplish, we could all be of more help.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Invisiblearago
Mr. Wind Up Bird
Male

Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: Jef]
    #9945858 - 03/10/09 01:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I had a friend who worked in a sign shop.  They made neon signs.  Anyway, I'd stop by after work to roust him out to go surfing, and sometimes he had his ozone machine running.  I think he built it just for kicks.  Basically he had these two units with a large arc of what looked like molten electricity leaping across from one to the other across a 12 inch gap. 

Whenever he had it running, it smelled like a thundershower was going to happen.

Probably not much help, but it always improved my mood.
The guy was (and still is) quite an inventor.

OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: arago]
    #9947001 - 03/10/09 05:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

plants dont use N2 they use NO3- the lightning splits the N2 and it reacts with the other trace elements present in the air.  The NO3- is changed by nitrogen fixing bacteria into NO3- which the plant can use.

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

LOOKING FOR EDIBLE CULTURES OR PRINTS ANYTHING GOURMET!!
also, Omphalotus olearius AKA Jack o'Lantern mushroom
PM ME

Offlineworowa
Professor
 User Gallery
Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: Herbie5075]
    #9948082 - 03/10/09 08:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Herbie5075 said:
plants dont use N2 they use NO3- the lightning splits the N2 and it reacts with the other trace elements present in the air.  The NO3- is changed by nitrogen fixing bacteria into NO3- which the plant can use.

Perhaps you're right, but from my observations, plants go a darker, more vibrant green, almost immediately during a thunder storm. It seems as though they're taking in nutrients through their leaves. I might be wrong, maybe it is the bacteria that fertillize the plants with the storm water.

Jef-I'm talking about fungi and plants...it's just that I've noticed the effects in plants almost immediately. I'm speculating that fungi may also benefit.

I'm hoping to improve the growth of my plants and fungi-but I'm not sure if it's practical.

Thanks for the input

--------------------

InvisibleSeroind
Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9948375 - 03/10/09 08:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Via, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/12/991207072741.htm, ozone causes stomata on the leaves to be unable to open.  With a higher number of closed pores the leaves may appear greener? Just throwing that out there. As arago pointed out, ozone is the smell you smell as a storm approaches.

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: Seroind]
    #9956000 - 03/12/09 12:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Cool link in this good quality thread.

Did you notice the gal studying the plants was a doctor and his first name was Gro?

Dr. Gro.  How lucky can you get.

Offlineworowa
Professor
 User Gallery
Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: Jef]
    #9958990 - 03/12/09 03:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, interesting link. However, they mention low humidity and high solar radiation being related to high ozone levels in their experiments.

In a storm, you have high humidity and low solar radiation. The ozone is highly reactive, so it probably reacts with other moleculues in the atmosphere before it hits the plants.

--------------------

Offlineubernoob
i <3 various things.
Male

#9959490 - 03/12/09 05:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've been reading here for some time but for what ever reason never posted any way....

has any one tried using a rain collection system?

--------------------
Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

OfflineLazy Genius
Mister

Re: How to simulate storm water? [Re: arago]
    #9960913 - 03/12/09 08:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Someone should tell your friend that ozone is really toxic if you breath it. It's a free radical and will oxidize living tissue (i.e. your lungs).

--------------------
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually who are we not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

- Marianne Williamson

InvisibleSeroind
Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9961117 - 03/12/09 08:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

worowa said:
In a storm, you have high humidity and low solar radiation. The ozone is highly reactive, so it probably reacts with other moleculues in the atmosphere before it hits the plants.

There is enough free ozone in the air before a storm for me to smell it.  That implies that there is at least some ozone to react with the plants guardian cells.  Whether or not this is enough ozone to produce the observed color shift is a question that must be answered through experimentation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract