Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecomrad
Heart Cooks Brain
Male

Loc: Northern California
ID Help, two new mushrooms
    #9903311 - 03/03/09 12:52 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Habitat:
I found this mushroom on the side of the freeway growing in the mulch. There was a small patch of about 15 mushrooms. There was some small tree that I could not identify growing by them. But not much other vegetation.

Gills:
The gills are a dark brownish color on the inside and a light brown color on the tips. Take a look at the pictures for a better description.

Stem:
The stem is about 3 inches, 1/4" in diameter, cream white color, and it is very hard. Not easy to break it in half.

Cap:
Range in size from 1-3 inches, yellow/brownish, the texture is really smooth and in some places it is a scaly texture.

Spore print color:
Brown/purple?

Bruising:
The bruising isnt very visible. But it you do bruise it, after a few minutes it gets pretty dark, a dark gray blueish color.

I tried to identify it using the internet and other resources, and I came close but still couldnt get a Genus that looked exactly like this one.

--------Second mushroom-------

Habitat:
This mushroom wasnt to far from the other ones but it was in a completely different patch. It too was in mulch dumped on the side of the road. I was driving back home from the first mushroom and noticed these huge things growing and decided to stop and take a look.

Gills:
The gills are a light cream color.

Stem:
The stem is about 2-3 inches, .5 inches in diameter, pretty soft, easy to break.

Cap:
Range in size from 1-6 inches. Some of them were convex and some were concave. As you can see in the pictures below. The younger ones are concave and the older ones are convex.

Spore print color:
N/A - sorry

Bruising:
No bruising.

As for this one, I tried to identify it and came up with "Gymnopus dryophilus" or "Russula pectinatoides". I dont know how correct it is.

--------------------
How do, how do you do. My name is you. Flies they all gather round me and you too. You can't see anything well. You ask me what size it is, not what I sell. The flies they all gather round me and you too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: ID Help, two new mushrooms [Re: comrad]
    #9903350 - 03/03/09 12:58 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

your first one looks like a agrocybe species

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/agrocybe.html

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: ID Help, two new mushrooms [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #9903380 - 03/03/09 01:03 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

were the caps on the younger specimens from your second batch of mushrooms a dark brown?

Offlinecomrad
Heart Cooks Brain
Male

#9903401 - 03/03/09 01:06 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Yep, they were dark brown.

Edit---

Not exactly dark brown, but a lighter brown. Sorry.

--------------------
How do, how do you do. My name is you. Flies they all gather round me and you too. You can't see anything well. You ask me what size it is, not what I sell. The flies they all gather round me and you too.

Edited by comrad (03/03/09 01:07 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Help, two new mushrooms [Re: comrad]
    #9905205 - 03/03/09 05:54 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

1) Leratiomyces percevalii (often called Stropharia riparia)
2) Volvariella gloiocephala

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: ID Help, two new mushrooms [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9905235 - 03/03/09 05:58 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

damn i thought stropharia when i first saw specimens #1, should have gone with my first instinct.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9905729 - 03/03/09 06:55 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

A. praecox looks almost identical but has slightly browner spores and smells like cucumber.

Offlinecomrad
Heart Cooks Brain
Male

Re: ID Help, two new mushrooms [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9909578 - 03/04/09 10:52 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

Thanks for the help guys.

This is an awesome community.

By the way, I just got my Audubon Mushroom Field Guide, awesome book!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies