Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!!
    #9889930 - 03/01/09 12:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ok today i got my first signs of Mycelium growth in my Jars!!!! This is my first grow and i wanted to thank you all so much for our help getting to this stage (Especiall RR your videos are the shit!). But my question is or rather problem is that i used cotton balls as a self healing injection site at the top of my jars and the Mycelium is growing onto the cotton. Can the Mycelium grow through the cotton out of the jar? If so what can ido to prevent this? Also when i birth the jars should i cut the the parts out with cotton on the Mycelium with a flame sterileized knife? Another question i have is i noticed when i flame sterilized the knife the flame leaves black residue on the knife. Can that be bad for the Mycelium  b/c i know people say you shouldent wipe the knife down with a alcohol soaked towel after flame sterilizeing. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and give feedback!
Thanks, Noobey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: Noobey]
    #9889937 - 03/01/09 12:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes it can. To prevent it DONT USE COTTON. You're supposed to use polyfil or tyvek. Polyfil looks like cotton but is polyester (manmade) and does not get consumed.

You should cut off the cotton at birth with a hot knife.

To eliminate black residue, use an alcohol lamp.

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #9889941 - 03/01/09 12:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What tek are you following?

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: mozartvicious]
    #9890010 - 03/01/09 12:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Right now im using the PF Tek i got 6 jars in the PC as we speak. But my First two cakes i used were mycojars from a crappy company (Noob mitake). They are zip lock bowls wih a hole drilled in the top with a cotton ball stuff in the top. I got screwed but wont make that mistake again.

So if the Mycelium can grow trough the cotton should i do something now to stop it b/c if its coming out of the top can't it get contaminated?

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #9890083 - 03/01/09 01:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I never heard of using cotton, especially with the PF Tek...that sounds unusual to me.  Typically the filter used in BRF/PF Tek is a layer of dry vermiculite.

Mycelium itself shouldn't get contaminated... I'd say follow the RR BRF cake videos and start over... leave the other jars you have alone and see what they do... even if mycelium is growing out of the top, it isn't going to go too far if it has nothing to eat and expand its colony with.

Just make up a new batch of jars.  2 cups of verm, 1 cup water, then add 1 cup brown rice flower.. mix, fill up jars almost to the top leaving room for a layer of dry vermiculite.  Cover with foil, cook at 15psi for an hour (if you don't have a PC, boil, then reduce heat to medium so it's boiling but not enough to boil your kettle dry...for 90 minutes)  let cool, remove foil, then follow sterile inoculation process.
Make sure you drill 4 holes in the tops of the jar for inoculation points.

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

Edited by mozartvicious (03/01/09 01:13 PM)

InvisibleMEEZIE
Incognito

Loc: USA Flag
Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: mozartvicious]
    #9890126 - 03/01/09 01:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i guess that makes sense that the mycelium would only be able to grow out so far because there is nothing for it to grow on

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: MEEZIE]
    #9890304 - 03/01/09 01:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

For the PF Tek (BRF Cakes), the dry vermiculite barrier is your filtered gas exchange.

You only need to use polyfil/tyvek/etc. for grain jars, which you need a pressure cooker to sterilize. You absolutely cannot use cotton - polyfil resembles cotton, but it's inorganic and competitor molds won't colonize it.

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: Brennus]
    #9890675 - 03/01/09 02:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Did you use a dry verm barrier? I have no idea why you used cotton, should have stuck to the tek you saw in the video exactly. I have no idea where you heard your not supposed to wipe it down after flaming. Your actually supposed to flame your needle then wipe down with alcohol directly prior to inoculating.

--------------------
If I had a shotgun, you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you.
Because the bars are always open, and the time is always right, and if God's good word goes unspoken the music goes all night.

OfflineNathanDH
Nate the Great
Male

Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: NYGiants420]
    #9890975 - 03/01/09 03:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NYGiants420 said:
Your actually supposed to flame your needle then wipe down with alcohol directly prior to inoculating.

The only problem with that is that the alcohol is not sterile. I believe RogerRabbit recommends flaming the needle and letting the first few drops of solution cool the needle.

--------------------
Everything above is for informational purposes only, any illicit or illegal picture is either fabricated or not from the NathanDH. Anything stated is completely hypothetical and does not represent anything that is actually being carried out or completed.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: NathanDH]
    #9891152 - 03/01/09 03:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NathanDH said:
The only problem with that is that the alcohol is not sterile. I believe RogerRabbit recommends flaming the needle and letting the first few drops of solution cool the needle.

I do too. Never had a jar contam from my inoculation. (Only jars I've ever had contam were from a bad LC)

I always flame the needle and alc wipe the injection spot. Double protection. Wiping the needle after flaming is like opening your jars a little after PC so they cool faster.

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

#9891552 - 03/01/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NathanDH said:
Quote:

NYGiants420 said:
Your actually supposed to flame your needle then wipe down with alcohol directly prior to inoculating.

The only problem with that is that the alcohol is not sterile.

Lmao, did you just read what you said?? You hear funny shit on here sometimes but I NEVER heard that one before. Alcohol kills all bacteria. Most of the people here don't even flame the needle they just wipe with alcohol. Personally, I flame once when I just open the needle, then just wipe between every jar, never had a contam to date.

--------------------
Because the bars are always open, and the time is always right, and if God's good word goes unspoken the music goes all night.

OfflineNathanDH
Nate the Great
Male

Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: NYGiants420]
    #9891713 - 03/01/09 05:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NYGiants420 said:
Quote:

NathanDH said:
Quote:

NYGiants420 said:

The only problem with that is that the alcohol is not sterile.

Lmao, did you just read what you said?? You hear funny shit on here sometimes but I NEVER heard that one before. Alcohol kills all bacteria. Most of the people here don't even flame the needle they just wipe with alcohol. Personally, I flame once when I just open the needle, then just wipe between every jar, never had a contam to date. 

I am not trying to get into an argument here, but alcohol does not kill all bacteria. Nor does it completely sterilize anything.
I didn't say that it was not an accepted technique, but I did say it was not sterile, which it is not.
Yeast creates alcohol from sugar therefore has a certain resistance to it, although the resistance to IPA is reduced. However I do work with sterile fields on a daily basis and I can assure you that I would never use alcohol to sterilize, nor even put alcohol as a sterile item on a sterile field. However, I was simply stating what I had read in regards to RR's advice on his posts as well as videos.
By wiping the outside of the needle rather than flaming the needle the bore of the needle is completely neglected.
Alcohol does not kill B.clostridium, yeast, or mold spores well.

Anyway, as I said not trying to get into an argument, but alcohol is not sterile.

Thanks,
Nathan

PS Not saying that you will get a contam if you wipe with alcohol, just defending my statement.

--------------------
Everything above is for informational purposes only, any illicit or illegal picture is either fabricated or not from the NathanDH. Anything stated is completely hypothetical and does not represent anything that is actually being carried out or completed.

Edited by NathanDH (03/01/09 05:33 PM)

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

#9891739 - 03/01/09 05:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Haha ok man except that I or anyone for that matter can use ONLY alcohol to wipe my needle and not get a contam..but if its not completely sterile then how does that happen? Would you care to explain that one? Remember, if ANY germ spores get in there it WILL grow mold. SO how does that happen if its not sterile?

--------------------

Offlinethatswhatshesaid
Stranger
Female

#10714379 - 07/21/09 10:40 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

"Cotton filters work and have been used since the 1930’s, but synthetic pillow stuffing is better."- RR
but maybe you could avoid having the mycelium grow through the cotton by using some other type of filter material for the injection sites.

--------------------
“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”

~James Dean

Offlinesnesgamer
baby rapist

Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: thatswhatshesaid]
    #10714598 - 07/21/09 11:27 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

its pretty exciting when you see some myc for the first time, congrats

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: snesgamer]
    #10715135 - 07/21/09 01:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

4 month old thread, was that necessary?

OfflineNightontheSun
Musician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Above Mexico Flag
    #20906924 - 11/30/14 01:48 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I haven't seen his videos but I can assure you he's probably using an alcohol lamp! Not a bic that will leave soot behind. You push out water to cool off the needle. All this information is out there. It's best to read more if you have more than one question a week while growing cause chances are your not taking the time to read the correct material. I'm sure you've finished this grow bit this is for anyone who may see this who is just starting out.

--------------------

"Without music life would be a mistake."
-Frederick Nietzsche
"Girls" with scorpion tattoos d ;

Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: First Signs Of Mycelium Growth!!! [Re: NightontheSun]
    #20906937 - 11/30/14 02:00 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

5 year old thread, was that necessary?

--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

And I am mentally unstable.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds