Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHeavenCanWait
Stranger
Noob.. more questions. (Uk)
    #9889098 - 03/01/09 09:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ive searched the forums for a few days, and still confused on a few things.
Read a lot on what jars to use and how its hard to get canning jars in the UK, but I also read that most jars will do, curry jars? beetroot? that sort of thing? so long as it has a rubber seal? I assume this is the seal on the top of the lid that you can see from underneath?

Rye grain/seed/berries, which exactly are they? Im guessing in the UK its rye grain, and in the US the same thing is called rye berries?
I cant find anywhere that sells this local, so ill probably be using bird seed, unless anyone knows of somewhere in the UK to buy it.

from what ive read most things besides BRF need a second hole with a filter to allow air in? The site im ordering my spores from sells parafilm is this ok?

I think I have the basics, just rather not screw up, thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineethicdrummer
Stranger
Male

Loc: USA, EARTH
Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: HeavenCanWait]
    #9889310 - 03/01/09 10:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

We'll being in the US I cant help you with the jar thing. But as far as rye: Yes berries and grains are the same thing. Rye grass seed is not ( but still usable). The extra hole is for gas exchange But as far as I remember not neccessary with brf. in fact just leave the inoc holes as they are, but dont forget to cover the jars in foil while boiling or pcing. then remove the foil for incubation.

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #9889316 - 03/01/09 10:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Use wild bird seed... follow this tek:

http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek

Read up on the process of cultivation before you start... the most essential tool to growing mushrooms is the human brain.

GOod luck, read up, follow the teks and you'll be walking through the magic forest in no time.

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

Offlineethicdrummer
Stranger
Male

Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: mozartvicious]
    #9889324 - 03/01/09 10:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry but wild bird seed is not as good as rye grains, which have more nutrients. Indeed wbs works well too if you cant find rye but if you can find rye then use it and follow this tek: http://www.mushroomvideos.com  on the chapter working with rye grains.

Offlineethicdrummer
Stranger
Male

Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: ethicdrummer]
    #9889332 - 03/01/09 10:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ethicdrummer said:
Sorry but wild bird seed is not as good as rye grains, which have more nutrients. Indeed wbs works well too if you cant find rye but if you can find rye then use it and follow this tek: http://www.mushroomvideos.comĀ ; on the chapter working with rye grains.

ooops bad link here: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

OfflineHeavenCanWait
Stranger
Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: ethicdrummer]
    #9889424 - 03/01/09 11:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think the WBS way is what i'll be doing, being new to this I don't think the difference in how many grams i'll end up with (I assume wild bird seed is fairly similar to rye in terms of output) so if its easier to get WBS that's the way i'll go.
I've seen the mushroom video's and I understand that 90% of it is just removing any possible way of it getting contaminated.
There's a lot of talk about tyvek and such, are there any alternatives? or does anyone know of a site that sells it for a reasonable price to the UK? The only thing I can find is 'parafilm' which is used to protect petri dishes, I understand they're not going to say 'perfect for your salsa jar too!' but is it the right stuff?
Thanks everyone.

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#9889467 - 03/01/09 11:10 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I just use winter wheat. cheap easy, and very available

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #9889597 - 03/01/09 11:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HeavenCanWait said:
I think the WBS way is what i'll be doing, being new to this I don't think the difference in how many grams i'll end up with (I assume wild bird seed is fairly similar to rye in terms of output) so if its easier to get WBS that's the way i'll go.
I've seen the mushroom video's and I understand that 90% of it is just removing any possible way of it getting contaminated.
There's a lot of talk about tyvek and such, are there any alternatives? or does anyone know of a site that sells it for a reasonable price to the UK? The only thing I can find is 'parafilm' which is used to protect petri dishes, I understand they're not going to say 'perfect for your salsa jar too!' but is it the right stuff?
Thanks everyone.

I never use Tyvek.  All you need is Polyfil (Polyester Pillow stuffing.)

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

Offlineozzysmygod
Late Night PC'ing Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: mozartvicious]
    #9892416 - 03/01/09 07:30 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

I grow in the UK. For Jars I use pickled onion jars from somerfield which are only 33p each and come with free onions :wink: Ive not found any where better yet for jars.

OfflineHeavenCanWait
Stranger
Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: ozzysmygod]
    #9922468 - 03/06/09 11:56 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Alright I went for a little shop earlier.
I have (pics)
Verm
Perlite
spores on the way (syringe)
WBS
Pressure Cooker
What else do I need? I know I need to drill some holes and get something to cover them, polyester pillow stuffing? is that just anti allergy pillows?
As far as jars are concerned, will these do?
http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0004lbz.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0005p.jpg

Offlineproud_republican
goin nowhere fast
Male

Loc: good question...
    #9922553 - 03/06/09 12:13 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

im not sure about the jars, but the poly. fiber should work just fine, and i know its in my pillows, and mine arent anything special (anti-allergenic, etc...)

ive seen jars with self-healing silicone injection ports and tvyek filters, but i dont know if you can buy those or if you have to make them, but it cant be that hard to do.

since youve got WBS, i think you should do a monotub to spawned to coir/h-poo if you can get it.

if youre going to put it in trays to fruit, youll need some type of FC. id reccomend the shotgun FC

--------------------
When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.
And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see, there will be an answer. let it be.
Let it be, let it be, .....

OfflineHeavenCanWait
Stranger
Re: Noob.. more questions. (Uk) [Re: proud_republican]
    #9933137 - 03/08/09 12:10 PM (15 years, 24 days ago)

Bought some brown rice flour earlier so I'll have a go at both teks
Looked a lot of places for coco coir too, cant find it anywhere, but I'll get some coffee grounds from starbucks in the next few days.

Still really confused with jars, what is it that makes the canning jars so special? what does it have that these dont?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract