Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetsimehc
freak
My Styrofoam Cooler w/ Pics
    #987783 - 10/23/02 08:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well.. this is my stryrofoam cooler.... i designed it so that there will be a layer where the heat will be trapped and so that the bodies of the bottles i use will be in that layer and when the lid is open that there will be minimum heat loss... i used a styrofoam cooler (kmart), styrofoam boards (home depot), digital dual display thermometer (kmart), glass jars (dunno where to get these), aquarium water heater (petland), yeah.. that should be it....

here is the styrofoam cooler...

hrmm.. lots and lots of foam.. but i used alot of it for something else...

jars im using... +150 ml i think.. dunno actual size...

all cut to meet my specification...

its a bit funny that i didnt need glue.. maybe some foam spacers and i used screws to keep them in place.. but of course i winged that part.. hehehe...

this is what it looks like after i modded the digital thermometer and other things... i think...

well.... the digital thermometer was modded so that i can read 2 different temps without the thermometer being inside the danm cooler... who wants to open the lid and let heat escape to check it.... i planned to put a small 12v fan in so there would be air flow.. but i didnt get ideal temp range to actually decide to do it... so basically.. the thermometer displays "in" and "out" temps... well.. you know why its in and out... so i made it so that the "in" reads the temp on the bottem where its enclosed... its about 80 - 82f... good.. but not what i wanted... the heater is whats lacking.... the top "out" reads 75 - 77f... not great.. but what can i do... i think if i filled the top area.. the efficiency of the heat will be better.. meaning that it will be warmer on top as well.... i plan to in the future to add styrofoam shelves so i can add petri dishes and jars.. but i need a break... ;]

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledigitalshaolin
Irish guy

Loc: hot, dry close to mexico
Re: My Styrofoam Cooler w/ Pics [Re: tsimehc]
    #987801 - 10/23/02 08:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

cool beans looks awsome.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #988191 - 10/23/02 11:07 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Props to you. You will really notice how beneficial this is.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: My Styrofoam Cooler w/ Pics [Re: Skikid16]
    #988288 - 10/23/02 11:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well... i modded my thermometer like this... ill do a thermometer post later....

note... you would need to know how to solder and desolder stuff on a pcb.... this part probly is dagerous if you dont know what your doing... molten lead is hot... really not.. .hence its molten.. and lead is dangerous itself... so... whatever... use common sense...

but with the thermometer i have here has a internal diode that measures heat... so hence wherever the display is.. it will be indoors temp... so what i did was cut the 10' cord because u dont need 10'... and i cut that in half.. one has the outdoor probe... so i unsoldered the wire from the out doors probe and resoldered the wire that has the outdoor probe (because when we cut wire in 1/2, the probe was on the cut part...)... so now we have outdoor probe back into its place with a shorter wire.. big deal.... the next part is that we have to unsolder the indoor diode and solder it onto the end of the wire we cut off... then solder that wire to the indoor thing that we unsoldered the diode from.. and there we go... some heatshrink tubes or electrical tape will do.. and there u can measure 2 separate temperatures without having to put thermometer inside....

oh yeah.. i need to mention that the whole thing has to be opened up.. u have to splice the wires to solder it.. and ect ect.. that i forgot to mention...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Edited by tsimehc (10/23/02 11:39 PM)

Offlinetsimehc
freak
    #989008 - 10/24/02 07:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

here is the inside of my cooler with the jars in place and probes taped with electrical tape onto cooler... i couldnt find any other tape... xP....

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Offlinetsimehc
freak
    #1001069 - 10/28/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well here we go.. i modded my thermometer so i can unplug it....

radioshack parts... bleh...

heat shrink.. soldering iron... stuff...

awww.. modified the thermometer....

front... i used a old cd case and cut it.. so that the jacks wont sink in when plugging in.... funny.. i should of glued it.. but i bolted it...

yep.. all bolted down....

finnished? yeah i think

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Edited by tsimehc (10/28/02 07:59 PM)

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1001218 - 10/28/02 08:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Your set up looks real good, I just hope newbies don't read this and get scared off by the complexities of your set up. All I'm saying is yours is like the civic model of incubators and all you really need is a Geo to get the job done. Anyways, nice work.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: My Styrofoam Cooler w/ Pics [Re: Skikid16]
    #1001237 - 10/28/02 08:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

thats is really true.... but even a styrofoam cooler.. or cheaper... cardboard? with a small jar or large one... with a heater will work.... when it comes down to doing the thing correctly... there are many ways to do things... just use your brain on what seems reasonable.... ;]

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1001278 - 10/28/02 09:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Post what parts you bought so that you could disconnect your digital thermometer and how much it costs if you would. I hate aaa batterries

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: My Styrofoam Cooler w/ Pics [Re: resin]
    #1001298 - 10/28/02 09:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well.. i used a mono phono jack.. u know the jacks for your headfones... but in mono... and i got the female plugs so the jacks can go into... too bad the thermometer doesnt have a off switch... im gonna add that to mine soon... but radio shack has both.. you can probly just get away with the on off switch if battery life is a concern

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom