Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Warm Weather Gourmets
    #9869083 - 02/26/09 11:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So I might be helping a school in Africa to build a small mushroom farm some time in the future. I was thinking about what would be the best species for them to grow and decided it would probably be a warm weather species because its quite warm there. Are there any species all of you would recommend for warm weather climates?

Right now I am thinking:  Pleurotus citrinopileatus, Pleurotus tuberregium and possibly Volvariella volvacea

If necessary we could probably dig into a hill to create a cool root cellar type of area... but really its all in the beginning stages and I don't know the layout or what kind of resources they have work with.

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #9869368 - 02/26/09 12:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I can't help at all..but I wanted to say, wow. That's fantastic to hear, really great to hear of things like this. Definitely keep posted in the developments with this.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

OfflineJonat
Stranger
    #9869442 - 02/26/09 12:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Species can be important, but so is strain or cultivar. There are warm-weather strains of many species that "can't" be grown in warm weather.

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9869443 - 02/26/09 12:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Lion's manes, pink oysters, other oysters too I'm sure, Agaricus'

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: Jonat]
    #9869522 - 02/26/09 01:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jonat said:
Species can be important, but so is strain or cultivar. There are warm-weather strains of many species that "can't" be grown in warm weather.

Good to know! I didn't even think about this... do any of you that frequent the GMM forum have any warm weather strains?

--------------------

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9869784 - 02/26/09 01:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You should talk to Jeremy Davis.  I've been looking into this myself, living on the Gulf Coast.

Other good options:

Pleurotus djamor
Stropharia rugoso-annulata
Agaricus blazei

I'm attempting to get cultures of two other warm weather species, Leninula boryana and Calocybe indica.  The latter is a very good choice and is now widely cultivated in India.  They grow on a wide variety of substrates like oysters, and have a shelf life of up to five days without refrigeration.  You can find some info on C. indica here.

I've found contacts here for both, but I think it will be a while before I get anything, if at all.

Oh yeah, one other thing!  This is probably a long shot here, but there are "desert truffle" species (Terfezia and Tirmania spp.) that grow in very arid conditions in the Mediterranean and north Africa.  Like other truffles, these are mycorrhizal, so the host plants themselves would have to be cultivated.  The good news, however, is that dried truffles store and ship easily, and can fetch a high price in gourmet and ethnic markets all over the world.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9869805 - 02/26/09 01:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Those pics of Calocybe indica look incredible! If you get cultures of either of those species please let me know!

--------------------

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#9870271 - 02/26/09 03:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think the paddy straw mushroom likes the heat.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #9870805 - 02/26/09 04:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
Those pics of Calocybe indica look incredible! If you get cultures of either of those species please let me know!

Coincidentally, I just got an email about the C. indica culture.  The gist of it was, 'something will happen, but it will take quite a while.'

Oh well, at least I'm making some progress.  I've been trying to get this for months now, and this is the best lead I've had.

Incidentally, do you keep cereal in your pocket?

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9870996 - 02/26/09 05:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
Incidentally, do you keep cereal in your pocket?

Hahaha... why yes I do, its great for when I'm on dates and the ladies get hungry. :wink:

--------------------

Edited by PitcherCrab (02/26/09 06:40 PM)

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #9871846 - 02/26/09 06:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

PitcherCrab, i would try and find out what mushrooms grow locally and are consumed by the people in that area. Anything that grows there naturally will be much easier to cultivate using simple methods.

--------------------

OfflineDrunk Monkey
Stranger
Male

Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: waixingren]
    #9872706 - 02/26/09 08:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

how about reishi, I hear they like heat. You could get a whole medicinal system going.

Edited by Drunk Monkey (02/27/09 02:11 PM)

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: Drunk Monkey]
    #9916126 - 03/05/09 11:48 AM (15 years, 26 days ago)

Hey Pitcher where in Africa are you going?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Warm Weather Gourmets [Re: solumvita]
    #9916190 - 03/05/09 12:01 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

If it happens it will be in Kenya in the Busia District of the Western Provence.

--------------------

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #9920317 - 03/05/09 10:48 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

I just read a college theses paper that was all about using otherwise worthless african grasses to grow mushrooms on.

This isn't the exact paper, as it isn't posted online I don't think, but here is something similiar.

http://www.fungifun.org/mushworld/Oyster-Mushroom-Cultivation/mushroom-growers-handbook-1-mushworld-com-chapter-10-3.pdf

Also look out for breweries in the areas near to where this farm might be, as you can use their waste as well.

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate