Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerenfox
Bubba Alien
Male User Gallery

Loc: CA
How I got my shotgun FC to 100% humidity
    #9868635 - 02/26/09 10:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

these humidifiers do not work short term, but what i found was that if i take this tube and run it into the top on full blast for about 15 minutes, the mist condenses on everything in the smallest water droplets possible.  that kicks it into the 100% range for hours.  I have a ocillating fan that i fan it out with before i fog.  the shotgun FC seems to get around 80% rH if you don't have the walls misted.  I mist with a reptile spray bottle i got at the pet store (the kind you pump)  it works well to get the FC to 90-95% rH. 

The ionizing mister is no good for short or long durations though.  a little fyi  :smile:

--------------------
"There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity."
-Nathaniel Branden

"When you abandon reason as your standard, there is no peaceful way for people to settle their differences, and you open the door to every kind of evil, every kind of atrocity."  -Ayn Rand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How I got my shotgun FC to 100% humidity [Re: renfox]
    #9868733 - 02/26/09 10:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you saturate your cakes or other substrate with water, pinning performance will be poor at best.  The number 1 pinning trigger is fresh air exchange which causes a constant loss of moisture from the substrates.  You're doing the opposite of what your mushrooms require.  If you'll moisten that perlite, you'll have proper humidity without the humidifier saturating everything.

If your room air is extremely dry, run that humidifier in the room 24/7, but don't pipe it into the terrarium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: How I got my shotgun FC to 100% humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9868783 - 02/26/09 10:59 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

those are some fun shaped cakes you got there....lol.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Offlinerenfox
Bubba Alien
Male User Gallery

Re: How I got my shotgun FC to 100% humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9871402 - 02/26/09 05:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a million.  I'm still an ignoramous. :smile:  Thanks for the guidance.  I just bought the your DVD & should get it today! 

I followed the online video and was worried that the humidity being 80-90 would be an issue.  the dry verm from the roll looks pretty dry.  I was looking for a Misting tek for cakes so I understand it better.  my hardest time with instructions is I tend to veer if i don't understand the reasoning behind the steps.    All the misting i could find in books was on casing type setups. 

should i mist? how often? on wals & cakes & perlite?(i ave been doing above so it falls down lightly) 

How often should I fan?  i have been doing it about 8 times a day so far.

--------------------
"There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity."
-Nathaniel Branden

"When you abandon reason as your standard, there is no peaceful way for people to settle their differences, and you open the door to every kind of evil, every kind of atrocity."  -Ayn Rand

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9871864 - 02/26/09 06:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Humidity being 80-90% is an issue. But i dont think your rh is that low.

Is your hygrometer calibrated, is it anologue??

The shotgun fruiting chamber when build right will give atleast 90%.

Check that you are getting a correct reading.

You will want to mist then fan 4-5 times daily. If the verm is dry, you will want to hydrate it. You can mist above your terrarium allowing a nice fine mist to fall inside. Dont mist the walls, which is useless the mostire must be in the air and the perlite. The walls will be slightly cooler, if you spray the walls, its just gonna stay on the walls.

doing it 8 times is fine, but be sure to mist before you fan. When you fan your terrarium you will dry out the air, misting helps replace this moisture.

I see holes in the sides, do you have holes in the bottom and the top?? very important that yuou hve holes in the bottom and topp aswell as the sides, you need air to be drawy up through the bottom, this helps with humidity.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Edited by veda_sticks (02/26/09 06:58 PM)

Offlinerenfox
Bubba Alien
Male User Gallery

Re: How I got my shotgun FC to 100% humidity [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9872611 - 02/26/09 08:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes I have holes on the top & bottom as well.  I do have an analogue humidity guage.  i'll calibrate it (didn't know you could until testerday)

Do you think having an occillating fan outside pointing at the FC would help or hinder?  I'm concerned about the whole pin setting thing.

--------------------
-Nathaniel Branden

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #9872678 - 02/26/09 08:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i wouldnt have the fan pointing directly at your FC
this will only help dry it out and bring your RH down
just have it running in the room to keep the air moving

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix