Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Incubation question
    #9867621 - 02/26/09 02:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My current incubator is this:

And the problem is this:

I bought a new water heater for the outer tub, and it didnt quit fit, so I plastered both sides of the hole with Automotive Goop water-proof sealant, yet the heat from the tank heater seems to be allowing it to leak. As I have jars just starting to incubate, and a 14 day deadline to get them done before I am out of town, I can't really wait 4-7 days for the smell of more plastering to fade away - so my question is this.

Lets say I just filled the tub that the jars are currently in up with enough water, that the jars could also sit in it with the water level rising just above the grains level, and put the heater in the tub to heat the water to around 80ish degrees - might this work?

Right now the incubator has lost enough water that the only water in it is directly on the bottom of the jars, just enough to keep them warm half way up the grain, and that sucks.

Any comments?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Incubation question [Re: c1dh3d]
    #9867640 - 02/26/09 02:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see any logical reason why it wouldn't work. Just have to make sure the jars don't float and get tipped over.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Incubation question [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9867695 - 02/26/09 02:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thats what I was thinking, seems like if all the jars were sitting up to their necks in water that was right at the necessary temperature, it'd work great - I am just wondering if one of the more knowledgable cultivators have something otherwise to say.

Never seen an idea like this before on here, interested in seeing what kind of thoughts I get on this :thumbup:

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9867716 - 02/26/09 03:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

why did u cut a hole for your heater? kinda dumb.. I don't see why heating the water to 79 wouldn't work but is ur place reallythat cold that u gotta use a incubator? hell if I line a box with towels stick the jars in with a thermometer probe wrap it up then close the box and wrap it again the inside of the box always sits 2 to 3 degrees warmer than the rest of the room depending on how many jars are in there...

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Incubation question [Re: madwire3]
    #9867751 - 02/26/09 03:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

madwire3 said:

why did u cut a hole for your heater? kinda dumb..

Because I have a hard time forcing a glass heating probe into a sterilite tub, without a hole being present.

Quote:

madwire3 said:

I don't see why heating the water to 79 wouldn't work but is ur place reallythat cold that u gotta use a incubator?

I live in Minnesota - Yes.

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9867762 - 02/26/09 03:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

is that heater not completely submersible? I haven't seen one that can't be completely under water in 15 years and that one looks newer than that.

when I was using the tit incubator I just dropped the heater into the water then sat the top tub in.. wallah done

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9867769 - 02/26/09 03:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It made no mention of it being completely submersible on the packaging, but even if it was completely submersible in water, I would still take the same approach. There may be an astronomical chance of a wire shielding ripping and exposing the electrical current to the water, but the same can be said about the powerball - and someone wins that every one to two weeks.

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9867779 - 02/26/09 04:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

my other obsession besides mushies is aquatic. marine tanks mostly I've had two heaters fuck up. both got water damage. one just shorted at the wire insert the other down by the heating element inside the tube. didn't even harm the tank inhabitants. just flipped the surge protector off... easy to avoid a disaster using ur brain. surge protector = no harm for what 5 bucks? not bad and u wouldn't be in the situation ur in now if that tub was never cut... try super glue... just towel dry it and drain it... put tons of super glueon there let it dry for like 10 minutes and refill... "I used to superglue corals to rocks and toss em directly into the tank still wet and it would instantly silidify the glue" so a lil moisture won't hurt but the dryer the better and its quick so like u said not having to wait for tht other stuff to dry

--------------------
RR

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9867785 - 02/26/09 04:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well thats the thing, I used something called 'Automotive Goop' to seal it, layered on there 3 different times, and it still leaks. I am sure it is the heat making the sealant expand, I am just throwing this suggesting out there on top of a different one I posted on my grow log. I am probably going with the one on my grow log, I just thought of this alternative and wanted to see what the community thought of it - pro's, con's, flames, all of it.

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9867795 - 02/26/09 04:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

gotcha... I'd get aquarium silicone.. remove all the goo u already put on and just do it up with the silicone give it a day to cure and then stick it back together... no? I just don't like the idea of jars sitting in the water personally even if ya add something to keep it clean ... eh whateva is cleva  keep us posted

--------------------
RR

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9867799 - 02/26/09 04:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That is the thing, when I think of sitting water, I think of bacteria. Maybe a small spot of bleach (like 1:50 ratio) to the water would keep it fairly clean?

I'd like to get a small variety of opinions, but I appreciate your input madwire :thumbup:

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

#9867865 - 02/26/09 05:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quote:
    madwire3 said:

why did u cut a hole for your heater? kinda dumb..

Because I have a hard time forcing a glass heating probe into a sterilite tub, without a hole being present.

That's classic.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

#9867871 - 02/26/09 05:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You could put a mixture of bleach, ketchup, mustard and blue food dye into the water probably. It won't matter because the heated water won't make any contact with the spawn/substrate inside your jars.

One quick question, are you using a dry verm layer for air filtration or some kind of polyfil/tyvek lid?

EDIT: Spelling mistake.

--------------------

Edited by johnny_poke (02/26/09 05:39 AM)

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
    #9867902 - 02/26/09 06:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You should have used marine 5200 for you're seal, west marine has it, I've also seen it in caulk tubes at Lowe's it's expensive but the stuff actually seals under-water I've used it on allot of boats in salt water and the stuff never leeks..e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Incubation question [Re: electrics]
    #9868230 - 02/26/09 08:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I can't stress this enough, the sealant I used is water-proof! The question is weather the material being used to seal it will expand as well with heat being applied to it.

My first idea that I came up with on my grow log, is to plaster a piece of cardboard in this Goop, and line the hole with it. The reason for that being that I believe papaer would make the best insulator for heat out of metal or plastic. If I covered it in water resistant goop, gooped it into the hole, and then insterted my hot probe (oh my), then the cardboard would make a tight enough seal / absorb enough heat that there would be very little room for a water pressure leak.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9868262 - 02/26/09 08:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

johnny_poke said:
You could put a mixture of bleach, ketchup, mustard and blue food dye into the water probably. It won't matter because the heated water won't make any contact with the spawn/substrate inside your jars.

But if we did let it get to the grain/spawn, we might come up with a new strain, and call it "Fully loaded blue hot dog surprise!" :laugh:

Quote:

johnny_poke said:

One quick question, are you using a dry verm layer for air filtration or some kind of polyfil/tyvek lid?

I have one inoculation point in my rye jars, about 3 times the size of an 18 gauge needle, covered with medical cloth tape.

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
    #9868327 - 02/26/09 08:53 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This has been said on this forum countless times.. jars will colonize fine at room temp if you're worried about times a little cooler just slows down the process not by much. Given you're inoculating rye it should colonize rather quickly.. And my post about the 5200 was for flexibility this stuff bonds to anything and will flex with you're tube the stuff is incredible......e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Incubation question [Re: electrics]
    #9868398 - 02/26/09 09:24 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

electrics said:
This has been said on this forum countless times.. jars will colonize fine at room temp if you're worried about times a little cooler just slows down the process not by much.

I am not some new comer posting a mindless question that has been answered 50 times in the last 24 hours, so save your condescending attitude that your obviously waiting to unload for the next poor newcomer unfortunate enough to cross your path, dick.

Quote:

electrics said:
And my post about the 5200 was for flexibility this stuff bonds to anything and will flex with you're tube the stuff is incredible......e

Now wasn't that much easier to say? Would be even more helpful with a link, as much as I like digging for people's posts.

I am trying to gather opinions on an idea I had that I have not seen before, please spare me the obvious, and either post something constructive or creative - or feel more than free not to post anything at all.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate