Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
slight change in Shotgun FC
    #9864687 - 02/25/09 05:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was doing some research, and from what I read, Carbon Dioxide is more dense than Oxygen.
If there are 2 elements of oxygen and 1 element of carbon, which is more dense than oxygen, wouldn't this create a balancing act between the two gases causing the C02 to kinda linger in a terrarium?

Oxygen is 1.429 g/L at 0'c, if you have a more dense carbon  D (1.98 g/L) and a light Hydrogen (0.08988 g/L) in a shotgun terrarium, wouldn't this do more to deplete the relative humidity than to supersede the carbon D for oxygen?

I'm going to play around with this, because I like the idea of the shotgun terrarium, perhaps instead of putting holes all around do it this way.

66qt/62l Terrarium
Drill 266, less than 3mm, holes on the bottom of terrarium, to draw oxygen (air) into the terrarium.
Drill 2-6 1/2" holes on top, spaced out (to help pull the air from the bottom in)
Drill 57, less than 3mm, holes on each side of terrarium at the bottom, going only 3 rows up, to deplete excess  c02 build up.... air being drawn in from the bottom would push c02 out from lower holes, being as there are only lower holes, relative humidity would maintain slightly longer than with more holes.

I think this slight alteration of the original Shotgun FC might provide adequate depletion of c02, while not hindering stable relative humidity as much.

And of course, FAE is a definite must... either way you do the shotgun fc, you wont get rid of all of the c02.

Just a thought, don't regard this as any real science.

Cheers.

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: slight change in Shotgun FC [Re: mozartvicious]
    #9866157 - 02/25/09 09:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

CO2 doesnt sink to the bottom of the FC. If you take a closed jar of air, it doesn't separate into layers.

Think of mixing vodka with orange juice. The vodka is less dense than the orange juice, so it should technically float on top. If you layer the vodka, it will. However, when you get a screwdriver at a bar, you'd have to leave it perfectly still for a long time for the separation to happen. With gases it is even more extreme, because the molecules have more energy and are perpetually zipping around, so diffusion happens more rapidly.

EDIT: what RogerRabbit has to say about CO2 building up at the bottom...

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Edited by green_titan (02/26/09 08:20 AM)

OfflineTheBrewer
Yeast Beast

Re: slight change in Shotgun FC [Re: Green_T]
    #9866334 - 02/25/09 09:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

green_titan said:
CO2 doesnt sink to the bottom of the FC. If you take a closed jar of air, it doesn't separate into layers.

a jar of air is only about .015% by volume.  also its already homogeneously mixed. if you were leaking small amounts of C02 into the bottom of the jar it would tend to linger below the layer of fresh air above.

I believe if you used a c02 sensor in your fc you would find a greater c02 concentration down near your myc/fruits

Offlineshroomyjames3395
happie newbie
Male

Loc: The Land of Mormons
Re: slight change in Shotgun FC [Re: TheBrewer]
    #9866424 - 02/25/09 10:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I believe if you used a c02 sensor in your fc you would find a greater c02 concentration down near your myc/fruits

I would definitely agree. In addition, the air at the top of the fruiting chamber would be very oxygen rich.

--------------------
:cool:shroomyjames3395

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder