Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Coconut flour... is this why mycelium likes coir?
    #9858491 - 02/24/09 07:33 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

I was browsing through some sites, checking out some stuff in regards to the supercake formula eatyualive mentioned... and I came across this page describing the benefits of coconut flour.

Now, I don't know enough about how coconut coir is processed or if the same nutrition is found in coir or not.  But either way I found this interesting:

Quote:

Coconut flour is uniquely different from all other wheat alternatives.  It is naturally low in digestible carbohydrates and contains no gluten. It has less carbohydrates than soy or nut flours while high in fiber and a good source of protein.  Coconut flour is 4 times higher in fiber than oat bran, 2 times higher in fiber than wheat bran, and 3 times higher in fiber than ground flaxseed.  Unlike other fibers, coconut flour/fiber can be used as a flour to make delicious bakery products and main dishes that are much tastier than other wheat alternatives.  Coconut flour also contains more protein than white or rye flour and cornmeal.  It has about as much protein as you find in buckwheat and whole wheat flours. Breads made with coconut flour are light and soft and have a wonderful taste and texture.

Coconut Flour vs. other Wheat Alternatives
Wheat alternatives are commonly flours made from rice, soy and potatoes.  Even though these products do not contain gluten, most substitutes for wheat are still high in carbohydrates.  Unfortunately, the taste and texture of products made with wheat alternatives are not nearly as appetizing as the products they replace.  In addition, these products are often loaded with flavor enhancers and sweeteners to help make them more palatable.  Normally, products made with wheat alternatives are “enjoyed” only by those who are forced to do without wheat and have no choice.

Taken from here: http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/coconut_flour.htm?gclid=CKqW87rP9pgCFRIcawodsRqHmg

Would anyone like to pop in and explain to me if this has any relation to how coir performs?

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1