Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSteakNMushVroom
Learner
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Wild bird seed problem
    #9853412 - 02/23/09 10:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well i followed the WBS tek i rinse, soak , simmer, pc etc, then i do a grain transfer from another fully colonized jar. The problem i have is that when i leave the jars to incu then look about 3 days later. The seeds look kinda mushy and have kind of a slimy look to them, I ve done WBS before and had beautiful lookin jars, but now it seems that im just having bad luck with it, i been thinkin maybe its my simmering and drying part that i mess up on, or since i have 1 hole in the lid maybe that could be it, just some how my jars are lookin bad and smellin sour or lookin slimy, does anyone think i should leave it in the strainer to dry out more? or should i not even simmer?:( i need some help please

--------------------
"I like my mycelium stirred not Shaken"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKupo
Kupop!

Re: Wild bird seed problem [Re: SteakNMushVroom]
    #9853496 - 02/23/09 10:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You are cooking your seed to long on the stove, reduce the amount of time your are simmering and possibly reduce the heat.

The grains are producing excess starch due to the overcooking.

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: Wild bird seed problem [Re: Kupo]
    #9853516 - 02/23/09 11:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mrspirit2 said:
You are cooking your seed to long on the stove, reduce the amount of time your are simmering and possibly reduce the heat.

The grains are producing excess starch due to the overcooking.

simmering isnt needed at all. Just soak for 24 hours.. let the bacteria germinate. dump out n rinse. Then PC for 1 hour at 15 PSI. sometimes I do 45 minutes..

--------------------

OfflineSteakNMushVroom
Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Wild bird seed problem [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9853605 - 02/23/09 11:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ahh i see thank you i will try both methods since i have the time, and this is my hobby :smile: i was wondering whats been going on hopefully this works !! ill post my results :smile:

--------------------

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#9853622 - 02/23/09 11:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No, no, you want to follow RR's grain tek.  Soak for a few hours or overnight with gypsum, bring to just starting to boil, drain into strainers, mix with a spoon every 5 min in front of a fan for the next 20-25 min until outside of grain has a dry look to it, then load into jars and pc.  That way you will have no exploded grains and the grain will break apart easy enough just by smacking against your palm.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zion Highlands
    #9853656 - 02/23/09 11:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have been working with wbs quiet a bite lately. And when I first started using I would just soak it then pc. Not till I tried steeping it I noticed the difference. Before it was making my jars a little to dry and the would not colonize all the way. What I would suggest doing is soaking for 12hrs then steeping. You will know when you are done steeping when you take out a couple of the red millet and squeeze and it squishes but not really soft squishy but kind of firm, and the white millet should be kind of soft. After you steep I would strain and what I do to be on the safe side is I drain my birdseed than I would put it in a shallow tub or pan and mix it up every few minutes. This will cause the moisture on the outside of the wbs to dissapate, leaving you nicely hydrated wbs that you would not be to wet. Just becareful not to leave it out to long cause it will start to dry out completly, Remember you want hydrated wbs not water and wbs.

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

Re: Wild bird seed problem [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #9853657 - 02/23/09 11:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Buckeye Oysters said:
No, no, you want to follow RR's grain tek.  Soak for a few hours or overnight with gypsum, bring to just starting to boil, drain into strainers, mix with a spoon every 5 min in front of a fan for the next 20-25 min until outside of grain has a dry look to it, then load into jars and pc.  That way you will have no exploded grains and the grain will break apart easy enough just by smacking against your palm.

I do every part of this up until the straining where I let it sit for thirty minutes and then load it, but I haven't tried a fan yet. I used to not simmer, and even with a 24 hour soak, my WBS would dry before colonized. Now I have been simmering and when the brew starts to boil, I quickly shut that shit off and rinse and strain it. Great results since I started this. Get that magical inbetween greatness. Until you figure it out, just follow Buckeye's advice.

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

OfflineSteakNMushVroom
Learner
 User Gallery

#9853669 - 02/23/09 11:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

will i still be rinsing the seed after the boil?

--------------------

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Wild bird seed problem [Re: chobumms]
    #9853677 - 02/23/09 11:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you dont mix and fan the steam off the hot grain it will not dry sufficiently.  Better to be on the dry side than wet.  Rarely can you make it too dry where mycellium stalls.  If stalling more likely holes drilled to big or temps to high.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

#9853685 - 02/23/09 11:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes what I do it I take the wbs from the back and soak then I drain it and rinse it till it runs clear then steep it and rinse it again till the water runs clear then strain, let dry the outsides then load and pc. I usually go for 60-75 mins.

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

Re: Wild bird seed problem [Re: JMR]
    #9853693 - 02/23/09 11:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This isn't a problem with your wetness but you said that you use only one whole on the top of your jars a better way that I have found better is to put two wholes in to the lid of the jar and on both sides of one whole put silicone and on the other whole put micropore tape works wonders for me.

OfflineSteakNMushVroom
Learner
 User Gallery

#9853700 - 02/23/09 11:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm okay, hopefully i can get this seed right !! this mositure content is such a bitch lol

--------------------

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

#9853710 - 02/23/09 11:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah but once you you get it down it is so worth it. And after that it will be a walk in the park. Keep up the G2G they are awsome.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#9853714 - 02/23/09 11:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

JMR said:
Yes what I do it I take the wbs from the back and soak then I drain it and rinse it till it runs clear then steep it and rinse it again till the water runs clear then strain, let dry the outsides then load and pc. I usually go for 60-75 mins.

Steaming will do a better job at keeping moisture inside the grain and removing it off the outside.  You only need to rinse it at the start before soaking.

--------------------

OfflineSteakNMushVroom
Learner
 User Gallery

#9853721 - 02/23/09 11:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Steaming?? what do you mean by that?

--------------------

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#9853728 - 02/23/09 11:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Bringing to just a boil then immediately draining into strainers in front of fan as steam steams off.

--------------------

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

#9853731 - 02/23/09 11:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I rinse it in between just cause there is so much nasty water that comes out I just think that it is better to be safe than sorry. This one time I was doing wbs and I did 15jars and then inoculated them and they all went south of the border. I was pissed but it tought me a lesson.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#9853748 - 02/23/09 11:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If they went south it was because you had a contamed inoculant, poor filters, or grain too wet,.. not because of rinsing.  Rinsing is done to make the grain break up easier after colonization.

--------------------

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

#9853764 - 02/23/09 11:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't say it was cause of the rinsing I was just saying its better to be safe then sorry. I think it was because the jars were not clean enough. What I am kind of saying is that rinsing it again would not do any harm to it.

OfflineICdeadPeople
Fungi Fun Guy

Loc: sometimes MARS...
    #9853818 - 02/23/09 11:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

4 me (usually do rye) but wbs was my last grain.  i follow RR's tek with the rye but with wbs, i rinse after i simmer because if i dont the wbs is all slimy and shit.  so i rinse with cold water but then drying it is a pain in the ass.  i dont know how much wbs im going to be doing due to this but RR's grain tek with RYE is great.  i dont know bout wbs

--------------------
I'm ready to go on a GREAT adventure... Sitting here on the couch, eating my favorite snack :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds