Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineg1zzl3
Tripster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bristol, UK
Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses
    #9818674 - 02/18/09 07:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My mycobag is nearly done colonizing, got lots of fluffy white mycellium clumps.
Now to the point, if i were to make a few PF jars and get them sterilized would it be possible to use a pair of sterilized tweezers to grab a small bit of the myc from the bag & transfer it into the PF jars? Would this cloning technique work? & would the piece of myc begin to colonize the new substrate?

--------------------
Our Mushroom Philosophy: There is no time, date or age there is only one whole! :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses [Re: g1zzl3]
    #9818694 - 02/18/09 08:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You would be better off spawning all but a small portion of the bag to bulk, then fill the bag (not completely just some) with sterilized distilled water, shake, and draw up the solution into a large gauge (14) syringe and use that to inoculate the cakes. This way your cakes could be steam sterilized/pc'ed properly before hand reducing your chances of contamination. Also it would give you the ability to have multiple injection sites that would be below the dry verm contam barrier.

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9818697 - 02/18/09 08:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

it wouldnt be cloning. That would be a transfer. I dont think it would work to well. Having to open the jars after they have been sterilized isnt the best way to keep contams out. And then once you did open the jars, you would have to work the myc piece down through the dry verm and into the BRF mix. Seems very likely to contaminate. But by all means, go for it if you think you can pull it off. I just think there are better ways of doing it. You should prepare some grain and do a transfer to that.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses [Re: iskinbash]
    #9818754 - 02/18/09 08:26 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The only time you should ever touch mycelium with a tool is with a red-hot scalpel cooled in the untouched agar next to a sector. You're only going to introduce contaminants in the transfer otherwise.

You could probably do something similar to a grain-to-grain transfer in a glove box, but if you're going from bag-to-jar, you'll likely end up with a pound of mycelium on the bottom of your box.

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

Re: Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses [Re: Brennus]
    #9818971 - 02/18/09 09:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Brennus said:
The only time you should ever touch mycelium with a tool is with a red-hot scalpel cooled in the untouched agar next to a sector. You're only going to introduce contaminants in the transfer otherwise.

You could probably do something similar to a grain-to-grain transfer in a glove box, but if you're going from bag-to-jar, you'll likely end up with a pound of mycelium on the bottom of your box.

That sounds more right.

Offlineg1zzl3
Tripster
Male User Gallery

Re: Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses [Re: Breakfast Crew]
    #9818999 - 02/18/09 09:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

aah who knows, i think im just gonna grow them out of the bag coz its my first time lol any ideas about  spawning it to bulk? as this would be a better option of getting a higher yield wouldnt it? if so how would i go about doing this & what should i do it in? a tray? or a bucket or something?

--------------------
Our Mushroom Philosophy: There is no time, date or age there is only one whole! :smirk:

Offlineiskinbash
Male

#9819016 - 02/18/09 09:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

There are plenty of postings and teks in the FAQ for spawning to a bulk substrate. read up and search posts. it would increase your yield dramatically if you do it properly. Mix your spawn with pasteurized sub (there are a few different options) let it colonize, case or not case, and fruit. Obviously they go into much more detail in the FAQ.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses [Re: iskinbash]
    #9819029 - 02/18/09 09:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Define mycobag.  We use filter patch bags to grow in, but that does nothing to describe the contents.  If it's a prepared grow bag with grains and manure or compost, you're supposed to fruit it as is after full colonization.  Don't try to spread it farther.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineg1zzl3
Tripster
Male User Gallery

Re: Cloning via mycellium into PF Jars/Glasses [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9819061 - 02/18/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeh its in a mycobag with air patch & sealed injection site, the substrate is rye seed with vermiculite i think.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate