Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
College has got me down
    #9808792 - 02/16/09 03:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hey everyone. I'm not very well known around here though I've been registered for a long time. I don't know very many people here either, so this is a little strange to do.

I've been going to school for a LONG time, since I joined the shroomery actually. During that time I've gone part time for awhile then about 3 years ago started going full time at a community college. I was close to graduating with an associates before I realized that the degree I was going for was a technical degree, not science. Knowing that, I wouldn't be able to transfer into a four year school, since most credits didn't match up. It's a stupid, long explanation I don't want to get into. Anyways, I stayed at that community college and took a few "correct" courses before leaving for another school to pursue a degree in civil engineering. I am attending full time.

I made the dean's list a few times in community college and thought I was doing really well. But once I transferred to a science based degree and starting taking advanced courses, I have not done well. I work about 15-20 hours a week, can't drop below that due to bills. Last semester it really started getting to me. I am very well organized but when it comes to doing my coursework I have trouble understanding concepts. Its to the point this semester where I've fallen behind already and have a really hard time being motivated to do my work. It makes me depressed. My health has hit rock bottom and I dont care to attend the classes.

I don't know what to do anymore. I don't think I can handle the math. If I wanted to keep up I would have to be studying 24 hours a day, with tutors and seeing TA's all the time. I don't think anyone should have that hard of a time with school. I'm thinking of changing majors or dropping out to pursue an apprenticeship in carpentry. There is a school nearby that my community college credits would transfer to and I could complete my associates degree.

I'm married and my wife makes decent money. I will be letting her down if I decide to change paths in my life. I've got quite a bit of college debt that needs repaid, and I don't know that if I continue going to school if I'll be able to stick to it. Which of course means more debt. I have other interests but I'm not sure if I changed majors that I would stay interested in it. I just don't think I can handle math anymore.

Well now I'm rambling. I just need some guidance and ideas. I would really appreciate some input with my dilemma. This situation is killing me and I want my life back!

thanks for listening.
:peace:

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrasco
Stranger
Re: College has got me down [Re: meatman]
    #9809925 - 02/16/09 07:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It's hard for me to see where you're coming from when it comes to math because I've always been good at it.  I find mathematics easy because of how predictable it is.  As long as you follow the rules laid down for you then there is no way you can be wrong.  Whereas with the arts-type stuff everything is subjective.  :shrug:  Hence the D's and F's in my university English and art classes.  :lol:

As far as the whole college thing, if you're close to finishing then you might as well finish.  But, if you aren't and you are miserable in your field then you don't belong there.  If you hate it now imagine doing it for a living for the next forty years.

Don't get degrees from technical schools because they are scams.  Getting a degree in trade-type stuff from a local community college is better but not that useful either.  You're better off finding a contractor who will take you under his wing and teach you or better yet try to get into the local trade union apprenticeship programs.  That's where the money is and you will get the best training possible.

I feel for you man.  I hated college and that's why I quit.  I am currently a loser, but I'm content with that.  But, the fact that you have a wife means you can't be a loser because they crack the whip on you about shit like that.

InvisibleNeon
Stranger
Male
    #9815410 - 02/17/09 04:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you get yourself into great shape you will probably be more successful in school.  Eat healthy, exercise (aerobic, strength training, and flexibility), maybe look into meditation.  Nootropics may be another option.  I've found math to be a lot easier when my memory is in good shape.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #9817551 - 02/17/09 10:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm in a similar situation, OP.  Been going to community college part-time, off and on since 02'.  Changed from a tech major to engineering.  I thought engineering would be a cool job, then I got a job working with them all day.  Their job is alright, but they still have bosses who chew them out.  Their workload is high and they are expected to work long hours and answer their cell phone from home if there's any problem.

Now I'm back to not really knowing what the fuck I want to do :justdontknow: I'd rather change my major a couple times than get stuck in a career I'm going to hate for the next thirty years.

I can't really sympathize with the math problem because I've never had a major issue with it.  Writing papers is what kills me.  Let me tell you though, you likely won't be using the math much at all once you are working in the engineering field.  Don't take it as a sign that engineering isn't for you.  If you can struggle through it you'll be fine.  It's only what?  Five calculus classes?

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: College has got me down [Re: PowerTrip]
    #9821716 - 02/18/09 06:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you improve your physical and mental health through good diet and exercise, it will 100% improve your skills at school, but this requires time that is hard to find.  My Biochemistry is getting hard and it seems I just have so much memorizing and work, and labs at this point it gets overwhelming.  I find doing yoga and exercise helps keep me calm so I can focus, or else I can't get much less done.

Last week I had 3 midterms and 2 labs in 3 days and got sick the day before, still stuffed up now, and it just made it pretty bad, breathing in all the toxic fumes in the labs doesn't help either.  Once I get all the eating and exercising in order, I find school becomes much easier.

Meditating is great too.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
Re: College has got me down [Re: Cannashroom]
    #9826164 - 02/19/09 12:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks everyone for your advice, ideas and suggestions. I've thought about my problem and it seems that my best course of action is changing majors. I find that I can DO the work but I am not interested in completing it. I am scheduled to meet with a counselor that should be able to help me narrow down some choices regarding majors and possibly minors.

I am really interested in psychology and cognitive learning/research. I'm guessing it won't be easy, either, but better than solving tedious math problems. I actually would rather memorize stuff than try to understand a math concept. Maybe I have the wrong idea about this, I'm not sure.

I also plan on going to the gym 4 times a week and getting myself back into shape. I've always thought a healthy person has a healthy mind, so I gotta get started sooner rather than later.

Thanks again everyone.

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom