Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomer17
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Drying coir in a dehydrator?
    #9795665 - 02/14/09 01:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I can only find coir in very large bricks.  Much larger than I would want to use at any one time.  Currently I have to use a knife to pry off chunks of the coir brick, visually estimating how much coir I will need, and then hydrate it.  I would ideally like to hydrate it all at once, then dry it and store it for easy use.  Would it be safe to put coir in a dehydrator?  I'm afraid that once it gets too dry, the air movement would lift the dryest coir into the air and it would get all in the fan and motor or whatever.  Worst case scenario maybe cause a fire.  Does that sound possible to you guys?  What do you think?  Any other suggestions as to how I could dry coir (keep in mind it must be done inside, its the middle of winter here).  Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: shroomer17]
    #9795722 - 02/14/09 01:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I would definitely not do that. Lay it out and let it dry on its own in a shoebox or something. Cardboard box. It shouldn't get moldy if you lay it out thin and let it dry itself out. Maybe set it in sunlight. Oven or something.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Edited by Stimpy913 (02/14/09 01:32 PM)

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9796360 - 02/14/09 03:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

1 brick makes appox. 8 qts. when i only need a bit i mark it on the plastic in 4 equal parts and cut it with a circular saw ( 2 qts. per piece ) it's not nearly as messy as it would seem, very little waste. if you don't have a circular saw i suppose you could use a hand saw.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisiblearchivist
5-HT
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: artizen]
    #9796419 - 02/14/09 03:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I was going to post a few pictures of what I do to break coir without using any cutting tools, but I didn't think it was going to be all that useful since most people use a whole brick at once.

Coir is compressed in layers which means that you can take a flathead screwdriver and jam it into one end to separate the layers.  Stand the block of coir on its end and hit the end of the screwdriver with a hammer.  I usually split the brick in half that way to create two thinner bricks of coir.  From there, it's easy to use your hands and snap those into half or thirds.  Hydrate what you're going to use, and save the rest.

--------------------

Proud supporter of the canning jar industry.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #9796428 - 02/14/09 03:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

artizen said:
1 brick makes appox. 8 qts. when i only need a bit i mark it on the plastic in 4 equal parts and cut it with a circular saw ( 2 qts. per piece ) it's not nearly as messy as it would seem, very little waste. if you don't have a circular saw i suppose you could use a hand saw.

That makes me laugh. When I first bought some coir and i wanted to cut it I busted out the skill saw. I suppose one could take a hammer and hit it a few times

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: tahoe]
    #9796483 - 02/14/09 04:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
Quote:

artizen said:

That makes me laugh. When I first bought some coir and i wanted to cut it I busted out the skill saw. I suppose one could take a hammer and hit it a few times

lol

we got a tim the tool man

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineshroomer17
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9796670 - 02/14/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not talking about the standard size coir bricks.. the bricks I get would be about 4-6 times the volume of the standard ones.  I've used about a third of it so far by just busting off portions each time, which has been rather difficult and time consuming.

Since posting the question, I hydrated what was left of my coir brick.. squeezed out as much moisture from the coir as i could by hand (this was a little time consuming) and laid out about a third of it on some extra lids for some storage containers i'm not using.  The other 2/3 is sitting open in a large tub.  The humidity in the room is pretty low, so if I keep mixing the stuff around a couple times a day I think it will dry reasonably well. 

This will be so much more convenient to use than leaving it in brick form.. I can now dry mix my substrates beforehand and simply hydrate & pasteurize when needed.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9797633 - 02/14/09 07:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Quote:

tahoe said:
Quote:

artizen said:

lol

we got a tim the tool man

i was gonna use a miter saw, but it was cold out in the work shed and i had the rechargable circ. saw in the house. i suppose a table saw would give you perfectly equal pieces though. oh, and don't call me tim. lol:rofl2:

shroomer17

where do you get bricks that big and how much are they?

:slaves: coir slaves

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Offlineshroomer17
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9801182 - 02/15/09 05:12 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I get them from the Hydroponics store and if I remember correctly are like $10-20

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
Re: Drying coir in a dehydrator? [Re: shroomer17]
    #9801419 - 02/15/09 08:02 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

band saw or hack saw works best,  I even take the small bricks and half them with a masons chisel (with the grain) to use in 3 gal buckets.

1/2gal hot water (180f)
1/2 brick coir
1qt verm
1pint spent coffee 
3qts spawn (actually 2.25qts grain qts not full)    per bucket

I have a lid with a hole in it which I use for mixing the sub... a sheetrock blade on a 1/2" drill stirs through the lid to eliminate mess.  The water cools quickly to 160 as it mixes then I cover and let sit to cool for a few hours before spawning.  I usually spawn to shoeboxes after that.  I get 2-3 trays per bucket and this way I can pasteurize 6 buckets in a few hours.  Works great.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom