Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release
    #9794881 - 02/14/09 10:10 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I had heard about this a week or so ago on NPR and just realized that I hadn't seen anyone make mention of it.  The basic gist is that this US judge has decided that the over-crowding at California jails is so bad that unless California can immediately remedy the situation they must release the prisoners.  The State says that there is no possible way they can do this, and so would be forced to release something like 57,000 prisoners from custody.

I hope they let the drug users out before the murderers.

Quote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29109204/

Federal judges on Monday tentatively ordered California to release tens of thousands of inmates, up to a third of all prisoners, in the next three years to stop dangerous overcrowding.

As many as 57,000 could be let go if the current population were cut by the maximum percentage considered by a three-judge panel. Judges said the move could be done without threatening public safety -- and might improve a public safety hazard.

The state immediately said it would appeal the final ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Trend-setting California, the Golden State, has an immense prison system responsible for nearly 170,000 inmates, and their care has become a major political and budget issue as officials weigh multibillion costs of improved facilities against death and illness behind bars.

State officials say new doctors, nurses and prison rules have improved care and cut the dangers of living behind bars.

Meanwhile California is staggering through budget crisis as its real estate market has collapsed and unemployment has spiked.

The three judges specifically said they planned to order the system, swollen to about double its capacity last year, to cut down to 120 percent to 145 percent of capacity within two to three years. They did not give a target headcount.

APPEAL VOWED

California already houses some inmates out of state. Its main in-state prisons and camps had more than 157,000 prisoners, or 188 percent of capacity, as of the end of January, according to state figures, and a cut to 120 percent of capacity would mean letting go about 57,000 prisoners.

"They've told the state, 'You're going to lose,'" said Alison Hardy, a lawyer with Berkeley, California-based Prison Law Office, which with other attorneys represented plaintiffs who had sued the state over overcrowding in its prisons.

Attorney General Jerry Brown, the former governor, said he would appeal the final ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"This order, the latest intrusion by the federal judiciary into California's prison system, is a blunt instrument that does not recognize the imperatives of public safety, nor the challenges of incarcerating criminals, many of whom are deeply disturbed," he said in a statement.

"There is no doubt that there is room for improvement. But significant progress has been made and is continuing to be made at a cost of billions," he added.

The three judges made the tentative ruling in a bid to get the opposing sides to work together, and they offered a court-appointed settlement referee to aid in discussions.

They did not say when the final ruling would be made but were clear that they considered the system still in trouble despite progress, with inadequate medical facilities and prisoners three to a cell, increasing spread of disease.

"There is no relief other than a prisoner release order that can remedy the constitutionally inadequate medical and mental health care," the panel led by Court of Appeals Judge Stephen Reinhardt, wrote.

"The state has a number of options, including reform of the earned credit and parole systems, that would serve to reduce the population of the prison to whatever percentage is ultimately determined to be appropriate without adversely affecting public safety," the judges wrote.

The panel ordered the state to consult with the prisoners' lawyers to consider what actions to take.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9794998 - 02/14/09 10:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

God, the objections read like logical fallacy checklists.

They hype up bullshit prejudices people have of prisoners.  When we are still jailing drug dealers, users, and manufacturers, it is pretty difficult to understand the violent deranged criminal bullshit they're spuing.

I read a round of orders a few months back.  I guess Cali didn't comply with those and now the judge ordered the releases?  That was my understanding of what the situation was evolving to back then.

I'd give a shit about Cali's pragmatic objections if they'd make an ounce of effort to show the effects will be bad.  I'm sorry but take a look at california's rate of imprisonment and length of imprisonment terms, and tell me they couldn't loose the number this judge ordered? 

Don't insult my intelligence, Cali.  Show me stats which show this requires dangerous people be released.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: johnm214]
    #9796143 - 02/14/09 02:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

if these men are released from prison (not that I'm opposed) then think of how much unemployment will result.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: johnm214]
    #9796240 - 02/14/09 03:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Since prison population is merely the integral w.r.t. time of the arrest rate; the problem will still exist until the arrest rate decreases.  Simply changing the upper bound is inevitably just going to get you back to the same problem in the future.  Changing credit/behavior programs, or even sentences just means a higher turnover. 

What better way to relieve the strain on the system than to end this pointless drug war?

California in 2006 had 388 000 prisoners, which means this 57 000 release is roughly 15% of total.

Do we know about what percent of the total cali prison population is in for only drug offenses?

--------------------

Edited by Minstrel (02/14/09 03:05 PM)

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: Minstrel]
    #9798593 - 02/14/09 10:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So let the potheads out.

They never hurt anyone.

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: TGRR]
    #9801129 - 02/15/09 04:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

> So let the potheads out.

Pothead, 50 years in prison
Child rapist, 10 years in prison

You really think that they are going to let the evil potheads out to destroy society when they could free the child rapists first?  Come now, common sense here.  /sarcasm

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: Seuss]
    #9803223 - 02/15/09 03:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> So let the potheads out.

You really think that they are going to let the evil potheads out to destroy society when they could free the child rapists first?  Come now, common sense here.  /sarcasm

Yeah, sometimes I get all stupid like that.

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: TGRR]
    #9804661 - 02/15/09 08:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

In 1998 I was facing 530 years for pot in Oklahoma.  On the very day my story was printed in the newspaper, there was another article where a three time child molester was sentenced to 18 months in jail for raping a three year old girl.  I think you got your numbers off a little there bro.

By the way, I got off. 
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9805852 - 02/16/09 12:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If busted keep your mouth shut and make no statement whatsoever until you have a lawyer, and let your lawyer do your talking for you.
RR

:werd:

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: US Judge Orders Massive California Prisoner Release [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9805903 - 02/16/09 12:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Send them to Australia. 

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale