Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil
    #9789572 - 02/13/09 08:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) predicted on Thursday that none of his Senate colleagues would "have the chance" to read the entire final version of the $790-billion stimulus bill before the bill comes up for a final vote in Congress.

“No, I don’t think anyone will have the chance to [read the entire bill],” Lautenberg told CNSNews.com.

The final bill, crafted by a House-Senate conference committee, was posted on the Website of the House Appropriations Committe late Thurday in two PDF files.

The first PDF was 424 pages long and the second PDF was 575 pages long, making the total bill 999 pages long.  The House is expected to vote on this 999-page bill Friday, and the Senate either later Friday or Saturday.  [Editor's note: The first PDF, as posted on the House Appropriations Committee website as of 8:20 AM Friday morning, had grown by 72 pages to 496 pages, increasing the length of the total document to 1,071 pages.]

Of the several senators that CNSNews.com interviewed on Thursday, only Sen. George Voinovich (R-Ohio) claimed to have read the entire bill--and he was speaking of the preliminary version that had been approved by the Senate, not the final 999-page version that the House-Senate conference committee was still haggling over on Thursday afternoon.

When CNSNews.com asked members of both parties on Capitol Hill on Thursday whether they had read the full, final bill, not one member could say, "Yes."

And only one--Voinovich--volunteered that he had actually read the version of the bill that had passed the Senate.

Both Republicans and Democrats told CNSNews.com they were eager to read the unseen bill--once they could get get their hands on a copy of the final legislation.

Nonetheless, members from both sides of the aisle in both the House and Senate admitted they doubted they would have adequate time to read the bill before they actually voted for it.

“Certainly I hope to have the opportunity to go through [the bill] before the vote takes place,” said Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) told CNSNews.com. “But that’s something I’ve found doesn’t always happen around here.”

Some lawmakers said one of the reasons they would not vote for the bill was because there would be no time to study it before it came up for a vote.

“The Democrats have thrown this at us very last-minute,” said Rep. Zach Wamp (R-Tenn.). “That’s why the rule of thumb in the United States Congress should be, ‘When in doubt, vote no,’ because the devil is in the details and that’s why this stimulus is not worthy of support.”

Rep. John Boozman (R-Ark.) shared that sentiment. “The American public expects for us to get in and know what we’re voting on,” Boozman said. “But there are very few members from Congress that are going to have time to actually read this thing.”

“This is not light reading,” Boozman added. “It’s difficult reading, it involves policy and things.”

“Right now, because of those things, I will probably vote against it,” he added.

Sen. Roland Burris (D-Ill.), President Barack Obama's successor in the Senate, seemed baffled by the thought of actually reading the entire bill--as did his press secretary.

“I think it’s about 800 pages,” Burris's press secretary said before laughing lightly. “We’ll do the best we can.”

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) said that due to the hasty process, he may not have time to read the whole bill.

“I will, as much as I can, get through all the changes that occurred in the conference committee,” says Thune.

“That’s assuming we have time to review it prior to the vote,” he added, “This is a very rushed process, the whole process, starting from the beginning has been very rushed.”

Voinovich, the only member of Congress who told CNSNews.com that he had taken the time to read through every line of the stimulus bill that had been initially approved by the Senate, said he planned to do the same for the final version of the bill that had been approved by the House-Senate conference committee.

But the Ohio Republican wasn’t sure if his colleagues would be as meticulous as he had been. “I don’t know,” he said, when asked if he thought others would read every line of the bill. “You’ll have to ask them.”

The bill is expected to land on President Obama’s desk no later than Monday, and the president is expected to sign it into law--whether the nation's lawmakers have read it or not.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=43478

Senator Frank Lautenburg has admitted that he will vote to pass a bill that he has not read.....

I guess the Senators and Representatives do not need to know whats in the bill. they only need to know which of two words to use, "Yes" or "No."

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: lonestar2004]
    #9789941 - 02/13/09 10:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

representatives NEVER read the entire legislation.  they get their aides to read it, and oftentimes they only skim it.  Don't blame 'em, fuuuuuuuuuck reading 700 pages of legislation.  A few paragraphs makes me want to stab myself

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: lonestar2004]
    #9789963 - 02/13/09 10:23 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashpr.htm

Quote:

HURRY, FELLAS, LET'S VOTE, I AM OFF TO ROME!
Fri Feb 13 2009 09:18:52 ET

Rep. John Culberson, TX claims the "stimulus" bill must be urgently voted on today -- because Speaker Nancy Pelosi is leaving at 6:00 PM for an 8 day trip to Europe!

Culberson made the charge on Houston's KSEV radio.

Pelosi is hoping to lead a delegation to Europe; there's a meeting with the Pope and an award from an Italian legislative group.

Calls to Pelosi's spokesman went unreturned.

In the rushing, Democrats have now broken their promise to have the public see the $790 billion bill for 48 hours before any vote.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) predicted that none of his Senate colleagues would 'have the chance' to read the entire final version of the 1,071-page bill before it comes up for a final vote.

Developing...

Is there a more heinous slag than the frankenwoman who is currently Speaker of the House?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: memes]
    #9789970 - 02/13/09 10:24 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
representatives NEVER read the entire legislation.  they get their aides to read it, and oftentimes they only skim it.  Don't blame 'em, fuuuuuuuuuck reading 700 pages of legislation.  A few paragraphs makes me want to stab myself

Not even their aides will have time to read this billion dollar a page Bacon Explosion.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: memes]
    #9790004 - 02/13/09 10:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:

I thought Government Representatives represent the people, god forbid they should do their fucking job.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9790009 - 02/13/09 10:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

HURRY, FELLAS, LET'S VOTE, I AM OFF TO ROME!

because Speaker Nancy Pelosi is leaving at 6:00 PM for an 8 day trip to Europe!

jesus......

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9790183 - 02/13/09 11:31 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think they (at least a few from both sides) should read, or at least commission some aids to produce accurate summaries for them to read of, the bill. We do not want another patriot act type ordeal. Since the point of the bill is to spend the US through a recession, I'll assume it's mostly pork and honestly this isn't the part of it that would concern me as much.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9790190 - 02/13/09 11:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The Patriot Act was read and reread and passed overwhelmingly both times, with votes from both parties.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9790204 - 02/13/09 11:38 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Not happy?  Change something - bitching on the internet doesn't yield any progress.  I bet none of you have even taken the time to email your representative to tell 'em how dissatisfied you are with their inability to read the whole bill.

For the one or two of you who have:  good for you.  For the others who haven't, learn from their example.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9790221 - 02/13/09 11:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
The Patriot Act was read and reread and passed overwhelmingly both times, with votes from both parties.

:stonedjerk: sure

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9790243 - 02/13/09 12:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

:stonedjerk: sure

Yeah, it was.  Too bad it doesn't fit your narrative.  Reality intrudes on your narrative quite a bit.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#9790252 - 02/13/09 12:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Not happy?  Change something - bitching on the internet doesn't yield any progress.  I bet none of you have even taken the time to email your representative to tell 'em how dissatisfied you are with their inability to read the whole bill.

For the one or two of you who have:  good for you.  For the others who haven't, learn from their example.

I am not the least bit interested in being lectured by the likes of you about the pointlessness of discussing and debating political issues here.  I consider my efforts here to be educational in nature and they have actually, from testimonials I have received, been quite influential on young voters who have read them.  If you do not care to debate politics go to the Pub.  There is a nice friendly group of people chatting about a great many matters of tremendous import.  Like whether the Dead were better with PigPen or the Godchaux sibs.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#9790292 - 02/13/09 12:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:

speaking of "bitching"....

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9790299 - 02/13/09 12:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hehehe - Zappa, if you're role on this board is to educate young voters, then you're right - our country is FUCKED.

I lawl at you shroomerites frequently.  You're so misguided.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#9790316 - 02/13/09 12:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:

I lawl at you shroomerites frequently.  You're so misguided.

even though i often disagree with 95% of the shroomerites on this board, IMO its still has some of the best political debates on the Web.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9790322 - 02/13/09 12:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

oh - yeah, they're definitely good debates.  very heated - very diverse opinions - i'm not downplaying the discussion that goes on here.

Just sayin the debates make me laugh sometimes.

edit:  4001st post!  (not like it matters, lol)

Edited by memes (02/13/09 12:28 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#9790333 - 02/13/09 12:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm about to hit 7000... I need a fucking life.:smirk:

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9790337 - 02/13/09 12:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you think you need a life?  Can you guess when i finished school & moved home with my parents to job search?

InvisibleVirus_with_Shoes
Pastor of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zuid-Holland, Nederland
    #9790440 - 02/13/09 01:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

The Patriot Act was rammed through Congress and legislators only had 3 days to read the bill along with another Senate appropriations bill. (Fox News). Even old man Ron Paul (cue put downs) admitted that many congressmen didn't read it. Ron Paul article

With a name like "The Patriot Act" who the hell wouldn't vote for it? That's like calling a bill the "Anti Puppy Raping Act." No one wants to be on the wrong side of that term.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Democratic Senator Predicts None of His Colleagues 'Will Have the Chance' to Read Final Stimulus Bil [Re: Virus_with_Shoes]
    #9790473 - 02/13/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Time to plug one of my reform ideas... constitutional amendment: Nothing passed by Congress shall be longer than 500 words in length, from start to finish.  Everything passed by Congress and signed into law by the US President shall expire after seven years.

Force them to keep laws simple, and give them work maintaining the important laws rather than wasting time passing new bogus laws.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder