Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cascadia
1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics)
    #9783991 - 02/12/09 09:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

1st flush of some amazonian monotubs.  Straw spawned with rye, G2Ged once, Multispore.  Generally following Shroomgod's Straw Tek with minor variations.

Ran 3 tubs of amazonian and 3 tubs of APE, isolated from multispore on agar.  Two of the APE tubs got the mean green, third one looks about 100% colonized but still pretty slow.

Tubs are colonized with plastic pressed down against substrate, holes poked, with lid loosely on top.  Holes are covered.

Once fully colonized, lid is removed, plastic is removed, and a new sheet of plastic is stretched overtop with holes poked into it.  6 1" holes stuffed with polyfill are drilled around the sides.

Tub A: Spawned 1/12

Tub B:  Spawned 1/14

Tub C: Spawned 1/18

Tub D:  Spawned 1/18 (Albino Penis Envy)

Whats with the crappy pinsets?  Particularly C.  And in B the veils are already breaking - the biggest ones are maybe 4-5" high and about sharpie-thick.  In A the veils don't look like theyre breaking just yet, but still lots of mutations and a weird penis envy-style circumcision look to them.  These genetics are shared between the two tubs, which is weird considering they are from different spore injections.  I didnt think amazonian's looked like this?

I've run these tubs before and had massive flushes with caps the size of portabellas.  What gives?

Should I pick the mushrooms in B today?

What should I do about the mean green creeping in on C?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineabowers1988
Discarded Condom
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: 1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics) [Re: Cascadian]
    #9783996 - 02/12/09 09:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

Offlinesomefungi
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics) [Re: abowers1988]
    #9784004 - 02/12/09 09:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ive seen worse!!

--------------------
Rye O Rye  wont you grow for me???...????

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9784046 - 02/12/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't be disappointed at all. What are you using for FAE and lighting?

Thick stems and small caps are usually a FAE problem or Lighting Problem.

EDIT - I see they are pretty short as well, Maybe a CO2 Problem?
EDIT - Also looks like you have some bacterial blotch going on there but it may just be moisture from misting or droplets it's hard to tell because it isn't that bad. Are those spots on your caps slimy or "eating" into your caps?

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Edited by Jitsu (02/12/09 10:07 AM)

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: 1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics) [Re: Jitsu]
    #9784073 - 02/12/09 10:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Your holes in your container are too small. If you have 1 inch or less holes, you need more of them. Tub B looked good, for the rest your not going to knock the ball out of the park everytime up to bat. It takes time to learn how to be successful, its not bestode apon ones self like eye color.

--------------------

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9784102 - 02/12/09 10:12 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jitsu said:

Light is a 15watt CFL and one of those daylight flourescent fixtures on the same 12hr on/off cycle.  Plenty of light.

FAE is 6 1" polyfilled holes at substrate level and a loose sheet of plastic spread over top perforated with knife holes in a roughly 1"x1" pattern.

In the past ive used these with only 4 1" holes and everybody grew big and strong?

But yeah, I've hit home runs before, now I guess I just got a ground rule double....

Should I pick B now?  Its gonna disturb the youngins if i get the droopy caps - theyre all interspersed.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9784141 - 02/12/09 10:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That's not a disappointing flush at all. It just looks on the average/normal side to me. Tub A looks a bit weak, but not that bad. You also used a multispore LC so that didn't help matters too much. I'd say thats a solid grow man. Its not crazy  or anything, but I'd say it was successful enough.

In any case I'm was wondering when do you add that plastic layer on top of your sub? I've wanted to do that for a long ass time, but I've been worried about contaminations. Is it on top from days one?

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/12/09 10:25 AM)

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9784159 - 02/12/09 10:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cascadian said:
Quote:

Jitsu said:

Light is a 15watt CFL and one of those daylight flourescent fixtures on the same 12hr on/off cycle.  Plenty of light.

FAE is 6 1" polyfilled holes at substrate level and a loose sheet of plastic spread over top perforated with knife holes in a roughly 1"x1" pattern.

In the past ive used these with only 4 1" holes and everybody grew big and strong?

But yeah, I've hit home runs before, now I guess I just got a ground rule double....

Should I pick B now?  Its gonna disturb the youngins if i get the droopy caps - theyre all interspersed.

True, nice!

to be honest man those are going to be some heavy shrooms with those thick stems. I have had a FAE problem before where I didn't have my tubs in a room with a circulating air souce (fan)

I used 4 1" holes and was getting great FAE when I moved to a room with a fan :> stale non-circulating air sucks! :laugh:

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics) [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9784202 - 02/12/09 10:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Check out the link I posted in the OP.

But yeah, holepoked plastic on substrate till its 100%, with the lid on top to block light but loosely so that you get some gas exchange.

I'll usually wait untill it looks solidly 100% for a few days or until pins are forming under the substrate plastic to switch over to fruiting conditions, which involves:  Either drilling the holes or uncovering them, stuffing with polyfill, then removing the lid and lower plastic layer.  Thats when the new layer of plastic overtop is layed on, with holes again for FAE.

I've gotten 3 flushes out of tubs using this method before contams set in - by the time you're fruiting you usually dont have to worry about contams until your myc is weakened after flushing a lot.  Polyfil doesn't keep contams out, its only there to keep RH up.  Pierced plastic is for the same reason, and as a dust cover i guess.

Quote:

I have had a FAE problem before where I didn't have my tubs in a room with a circulating air souce (fan)

I used 4 1" holes and was getting great FAE when I moved to a room with a fan :> stale non-circulating air sucks! :laugh:

I guess, however, that this time around is different from the past in that I have my closet stuffed wall to wall with tubs, whereas before I only had 2 at a time. I dont have a fan running in the room - but it is rather close to the floorboard heater so i figure the air moves around pretty frequently.  Perhaps I'll set my fan blowing against the opposite wall on a timer for the next flush.  In the past I could get away with no fan because the tubs were standing alone and catching all the drafts - but now they are blocked by eachother.

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9784237 - 02/12/09 10:43 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cascadian said:
Check out the link I posted in the OP.

But yeah, holepoked plastic on substrate till its 100%, with the lid on top to block light but loosely so that you get some gas exchange.

I'll usually wait untill it looks solidly 100% for a few days or until pins are forming under the substrate plastic to switch over to fruiting conditions, which involves:  Either drilling the holes or uncovering them, stuffing with polyfill, then removing the lid and lower plastic layer.  Thats when the new layer of plastic overtop is layed on, with holes again for FAE.

I've gotten 3 flushes out of tubs using this method before contams set in - by the time you're fruiting you usually dont have to worry about contams until your myc is weakened after flushing a lot.  Polyfil doesn't keep contams out, its only there to keep RH up.  Pierced plastic is for the same reason, and as a dust cover i guess.

Quote:

I have had a FAE problem before where I didn't have my tubs in a room with a circulating air souce (fan)

I guess, however, that this time around is different from the past in that I have my closet stuffed wall to wall with tubs, whereas before I only had 2 at a time. I dont have a fan running in the room - but it is rather close to the floorboard heater so i figure the air moves around pretty frequently.  Perhaps I'll set my fan blowing against the opposite wall on a timer for the next flush.  In the past I could get away with no fan because the tubs were standing alone and catching all the drafts - but now they are blocked by eachother.

hehe that might be your problem right there! :laugh: Keep us updated I want to know how the rest goes for you. Good luck my friend :>

--------------------

How I get my Pinsets

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9784355 - 02/12/09 11:12 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

b look great

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics) [Re: anakin3197]
    #9784554 - 02/12/09 11:51 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Any suggestions on what to do about that patch of trich creeping in?  Spray her with bleach?  Salt paste?

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9784750 - 02/12/09 12:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cascadian said:
Any suggestions on what to do about that patch of trich creeping in?  Spray her with bleach?  Salt paste?

Salt paste works great. You just have to stay on top of it on do it daily pretty much. Otherwise that shit will take over in a couple of days. Also expect the salt to draw out moisture out of your sub. Even salt paste can only do so much. I could see even diluted bleach being too harsh on MYC. In any case I hope the green meany doesn't take over before your next flush.

Also when did you apply that plastic wrap over your sub? Could you tell me that? Thanks. I've wanted to to do it. I wasn't sure when it should be applied.

Edited by ronjohn7779 (02/12/09 12:40 PM)

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9784794 - 02/12/09 12:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you mean the plastic directly on the sub, immediately after spawning.  Like, I layer my spawn with my substrate, then once the final layer of substrate is down i spread plastic ASAP - i figure it keeps the uncolonized straw safer from contaminants to get it on sooner.  Pierce it with holes for GE, and put some books on it if you want a really flat substrate - just dont cover the whole substrate with books or you dont get enough GE.

I also dont believe in the 'frosting layer'.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9784802 - 02/12/09 12:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cascadian said:
If you mean the plastic directly on the sub, immediately after spawning.  Like, I layer my spawn with my substrate, then once the final layer of substrate is down i spread plastic ASAP - i figure it keeps the uncolonized straw safer from contaminants to get it on sooner.  Pierce it with holes for GE, and put some books on it if you want a really flat substrate - just dont cover the whole substrate with books or you dont get enough GE.

I also dont believe in the 'frosting layer'.

Cool yeah thats what I was asking about thanks. I'm going to do that with my next PE monotub grow with coco coir. I kept on hearing about people using plastic wrap and no one would explain when they applied it when I asked.

Best of luck keeping that green bastard at bay.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
    #9786519 - 02/12/09 06:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i've been told to loose the plastic on trays and use wax paper instead because of too little ge when i had pinning and contam problems. it worked.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisiblegoldieman
On some other shit!

Loc: midwest
Re: 1st Flush Amazonian Tubs: Disappointing? (pics) [Re: artizen]
    #9786860 - 02/12/09 07:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i would also say salt to stop the mean green. go at least a 1/2" outside of the green patch. i never made a paste. i would just pour salt directly on and around the green. it doesnt kill it, but it stalls it long enough to get a flush out of it. im sure the trich is eating its way into your sub even after salting. you just cant tell from the top. it also sounds like your main problem is fae. packed in a closet with a floor heating vent is not going to do it. take them down about once or twice a day and fan them out.if you fan them out dont forget to give them a nice misting before closing them up. let them breath for a while. maybe put a fan on inderectly in the room if you dont want to open the tubs. rotate them. do something to create some circulation. poor lil substrate is suffocating :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale