Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethinkn
Stranger

1st time cultivating. is it cobweb or is it the beginning of mice?
    #9781086 - 02/11/09 09:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I met this friendly chick online and she started an interesting mycology debate with me. She knocked up a few jars, some mung grain/bean? and some pf cakes. She says she knows her stuff but I'm not convinced.
Now she's showing me pics of a jar and saying it's cobweb mold! I told her she should be jumping for joy. Im seeing lots and lots of tiny little white spots all over the grains and webby looking white stuff on the cakes, So I'm assuming, based on the pic and what I've read here that it's mice. Should she be happy or worried. She ordered b+, mazatepec and P.Rican syringes from a non sponsor but didn't think to mark the jars, only the date. She ordered from...Lets say... a "store" where they sell "spores" so I thought it might be a bad or contaminated syringe since this place doesn't have a good rep.. (I've read about vendors here, I know better...) But Im not trying to simply blame the vendor. She thinks it's cobweb starting. I think she's a noob and is going to scrap a good jar, it's a 5 days away from a month, I think its a little too soon but, what do I know.
She said...
" It's been almost a month and nothing! I should see big fluffy white spots by now. I need to move to the us! It's too cold in this contry (7f outside and 65f inside with room heater on high)and I had to incubate in my fruiting chamber and I think it was too moist in there. There were a few days in the beginning (,first 2 weeks) that I had the temps all over the place, 68F to 101F. the thermostat on the stupid heater was broken. It wasnt long enough to cause thermal death ( a little over 30 minutes) so I know the temps didnt reach that high inside the jars-but its enough to  have probably incubated something unwanted.

I now have the temp running smoother and drier (between 79 and 85f 50%humidity). But Im still worried that I screwed up or got a bad syringe, but I used an autoclave to sterilize the ball jars that were covered with 2 ply tyvek and I have a homemade glove box with a strong PC fan & HEPA filter. Im almost certain they werent contaminated then. But I have seen yellowish slime on some of the grains in the first 2 weeks which probably means it's contaminated,right?  but then it disappeared and nothing for a few days. I guess they stalled? now these tiny white specks popped up in the 4th week.
I thought the yellowish slimey juice I saw was probably metabolites or some kind of natural decomposing juice from the mung but I saw no cottony or rhizo mycelium before or after. Since then the slime has disappeared. Yea... POOF and gone one day, now there are tiny little white specks all over every grain of mung and rye I knocked up. I have shaken them like every other day and touched them almost everyday while checking them under a magnifier and strong light. I probably contaminated them then. I think I should dump them before they contaminate the rest (sigh)

Here...check it out and tell me what you think..."
I think she shouldn't dump them and that micelium
So can anyone give me they're opinion?
Thanks
Here are the pics she sent

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: 1st time cultivating. is it cobweb or is it the beginning of mice? [Re: thinkn]
    #9781108 - 02/11/09 09:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It's not looking pretty man and if it a month old you should have solid MYC by now.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 1st time cultivating. is it cobweb or is it the beginning of mice? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9781182 - 02/11/09 09:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Agreed. If there is not definite mycelial growth by now, it may be better just to start over. Doesn't look particularly cobwebby to me, could be the lighting... bacterial perhaps?

Either way, you'll have to start over

Offlinethinkn
Stranger

Re: 1st time cultivating. is it cobweb or is it the beginning of mice? [Re: ABC]
    #9781427 - 02/11/09 10:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

that sucks,
question...
would the mycelia still show up in one definite area if you shake it everyday or every two days?

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 1st time cultivating. is it cobweb or is it the beginning of mice? [Re: thinkn]
    #9781472 - 02/11/09 10:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you inoculated w/ spores, don't shake it. You should then notice growth where you inoculated. If you inoculated with LC, it is safe to shake, and you should notice growth fairly easily. but shaking after innoculating w/ LC is not necessary

Shaking is literally beating up the mycelium, which will force it to recover before it wants to colonize the other grains, slowing down colonization.

One shake at 25% colonization is acceptable, and will speed up colonization.

Offlinethinkn
Stranger

Re: 1st time cultivating. is it cobweb or is it the beginning of mice? [Re: ABC]
    #9781519 - 02/11/09 10:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah she said it was spores suspended in distilled water bought from a spore shop/store
So shaking it wouldn't kill it, only slow it down? So it could possibly still recover right?
That's wild. So what's the difference with an LC on a stirrer plate? That's like constantly beating it up isn't it?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #9781619 - 02/11/09 10:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

mice?  thats a BIG problem.  just kidding.lol 

if it was just spores in water thats called multispore.  same as a syringe.  LC is live myc in whatever solution was used.

but as for the myc, stabilize the temps around 70-78F and let it be.  the colonizing myc creates some heat of its own. anything higher than 81*F is asking for contams. 81F+ is the contams favored temps.

humidity does not matter during colonization nor does lighting, only stable temps.

some of my jars took that long b4 and all turned out well.  patience is key.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag