Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
All Outta Coir
    #9772568 - 02/10/09 03:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So I'm figuring since I haven't done without coir...maybe 60/40 hpoo/verm. Obviously the usual additives. Uncased verm/coir/poo is great, dunno about my ratio of lacking my coir....but anyone think otherwise of this?

Uncased monotub variety.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHallucinogenist
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: All Outta Coir [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9772605 - 02/10/09 03:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Since it's uncased, I'd like to make a recommendation.

In a lot of the descriptions for coir through online vendors, they compare it to peat moss.  (No, not coir peat, but peat moss.)  They say coir is superior because it's better for the environment and is reusable or some shit.  *shrug*  I don't remember.  What I do know though, is that it's stated to do the same thing as peat moss, just in a "superior" manner.

So, since you're not casing (thus, not using it in a casing layer), perhaps it'd be best to use peat moss essentially like a "lower quality" coir, as opposed to remove it from the equation altogether?

Just food for thought.

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All Outta Coir [Re: Hallucinogenist]
    #9772640 - 02/10/09 03:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Properly aged horse manure alone works wonderfully. A mix of manure and vermiculite would be even better.

We all used horse manure long before we knew coir could be used as a bulk substrate with good results. I like adding coir to my bulk substrates, but haven't for a while just because it gets expensive. I'm a cheap ass, so my wife says.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: All Outta Coir [Re: Hallucinogenist]
    #9772643 - 02/10/09 03:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

how about straw?

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: All Outta Coir [Re: artizen]
    #9772771 - 02/10/09 03:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well verm is slightly cheaper then coir...I have straw but its more chopped for the edible variety. Its about 1" long and its got a waxy coating which doesn't favour moisture retention.

Peat has undesirable points like being full of sticks and big mean clumps. I suppose that's why it never caught on. I was leaning towards having mixed verm (and coir but now I have none) because its uncased and moisture retention is a good thing :P

It's very nice well aged manure. Very nice stuff.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: All Outta Coir [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9785995 - 02/12/09 04:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like a good mix to me. Go for it.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom