Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
More psycho actives per cake/tray?
    #9755577 - 02/07/09 04:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If we accept this as true:

Quote:

agar said:
My personal experience is that small young shrooms are by weight, more potent than older mature ones.

Never tried aborts, so know nada - there.

Then would harvesting early be indicated to increase the amount of alkaloids obtainable from one cake/casing?

My thinking is that by harvesting the shrooms before they have become giant and sucked all the goodness out of the cake/casing you will be leaving behind more nutrients and moisture for later flushes. Perhaps more flushes would be possible in this case, meaning that what you lose in individual mushroom mass you make up for in the collective mass. But this mass will be comprised of a larger number of smaller, fully formed mushrooms. So going by Agars words here you would potentially be getting more alkaloids for your trouble.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrp_46
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9755663 - 02/07/09 04:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Might fall under the "Quality not Quantity" clause.

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: drp_46]
    #9755690 - 02/07/09 04:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Might fall under the "Quality not Quantity" clause.

Any chance you can enlarge on that?

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

OfflineDaedramaster
Chemist in training
Male User Gallery

#9755765 - 02/07/09 04:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Say you have 10 pounds of "something" that is 5% concentrated and then you have 5 pounds of "something" 10% concentrated.

Taking those things into account only, the overall amount of what ever is concentrated in the "something" is equal in both cases but the difference is the amount of the rest of the "something".

This is just an ideal example but I think the potency of the small to large mushrooms works in the same way. The mushroom them selves would be the "something" and the concentrations would be the actives in the mushroom.

--------------------
"The major religions on the Earth contradict each other left and right. You can't all be correct. And what if all of you are wrong? It's a possibility, you know. You must care about the truth, right? Well, the way to winnow through all the differing contentions is to be skeptical. I'm not any more skeptical about your religious beliefs than I am about every new scientific idea I hear about. But in my line of work, they're called hypotheses, not inspiration and not revelation." -- Dr. Arroway Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 162.

Join the movement! Click here to open your eyes

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9755772 - 02/07/09 04:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

He's saying that your shrooms will be more potent by weight, but you will have less actives in total.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: Magic_Hobo]
    #9755881 - 02/07/09 05:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Every experienced grower knows that smaller mushrooms are more potent than larger ones.  Thus, a gram of small fruits will perform far better than a gram from a single large one.  This is why I've long recommended harvesting just before or as the veil tears.  That seems to be the best compromise of quality vs quantity.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9755959 - 02/07/09 05:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OK. Thanks everyone. I've already accepted the concept that smaller fruits contain more actives per gram.
I'm postulating whether the act of harvesting would leave more nutrients and water in the substrate to support later flushes. Possibly meaning more pins per flush or just more flushes. So even though the fruit bodies themselves will be small, you will have a greater quantity of them, meaning the same mass of mushrooms overall.

I suppose the question is this: Is the amount (not size) of mushrooms produced by any given strain in any given substrate determined by genetics only, or more simply determined by depletion of nutrients/moisture in the substrate?

--------------------

Offlinedrp_46
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9756073 - 02/07/09 05:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've left them to grow also thinking bigger is better,but i do believe in the theory of getting them picked as to not waste nutrients.I believe the little ones are better for studying.Aborts are known for their potency.
  For me waiting so long for them to grow it's just hard to pick the little ones.I now pick way before the veil opens.Anyway hope i help.

OfflineNYGiants420
Hippie
Male

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: drp_46]
    #9756123 - 02/07/09 06:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

They stop producing psilocybin around when the veil tears. I like to pick em as soon as I see little cracks in the veil.

--------------------
If I had a shotgun, you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heaven on down for you.
Because the bars are always open, and the time is always right, and if God's good word goes unspoken the music goes all night.

Offlineshaggyeg6si
Stranger

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: Daedramaster]
    #9756132 - 02/07/09 06:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well why doesn't someone try this? I have a couple jars that are about 2 weeks from spawning, but I'd be willing to try.

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: shaggyeg6si]
    #9758846 - 02/08/09 04:05 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I will try it on the grow after the next one hopefully. I'll do a side by side with two cakes of the same isolated strain. One will be left to produce completely mature fruits and the other will get picked just before or as the veil breaks. Then we shall see if one cake yeilds more weight than the other.
I find it hard to believe that no one has tried this already.

--------------------

Offlinebirdisaword
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Africa
    #9758943 - 02/08/09 06:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You are going to need to do more than 2 cakes if your test is going to be of any statistacal significance....

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Re: More psycho actives per cake/tray? [Re: birdisaword]
    #9758949 - 02/08/09 06:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I suppose you're right Birdisaword. Maybe I'll try say 5 mature and 5 immature.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate