Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
How much surveillance will employer place on you?
    #9739294 - 02/05/09 06:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so i work at this distribution center, with like 1000 people, for an anti-union company and this company has had at least one issue with their employees trying to form a union.  basically, my employer fired the organizers(but gave them back pay), threatened to close down the place, gave anti-union employees bonuses, etc.

since starting there, im almost certain that there are people working there that are basically just spies for management.  like, i actually think that that is their main job...find slackers, find people promoting a union, snitch on them, etc.

the cell phone i have is through a very common carrier that is partners with my employer.  i get a small discount because of this.

could my carrier give my cell phone history to my employer?

what about encrypted messages, could the loss prevention guy get to those?

edit: the loss prevention guy isn't a douch bag...i was just pissed.

Edited by LayYouIn (02/14/09 11:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #9739380 - 02/05/09 06:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Not if your phone has one of these . . . . . . Seriously, I doubt it . . . :peace:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: vinsue]
    #9739407 - 02/05/09 07:01 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

it's funny cause i just stop smoking weed.  not permanently of course.

looks like it'll be one of those weekends...

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
    #9739417 - 02/05/09 07:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like a DC that I used to work for.
I doubt very highly that they could give your company your phone info.
Besides the discount for being an employee, the phone is in your name right?

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: creekfreek]
    #9739528 - 02/05/09 08:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, it's my old phone.

where did you work?

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

#9739538 - 02/05/09 08:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:pm:

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #9739560 - 02/05/09 08:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

sounds like your employer has been committing some ULPs (unfair labor practices).

if the people at your company are serious about getting unionized, I'd recommend contacting an applicable union and having them send out a representative.  These people are well-versed in what is legal and illegal for the company to do, as there is quite a bit of legislation regulating these types of things.

It is very very difficult (if not impossible) for an employer to keep a union out of a workplace where a vast majority of the employees desire one.  Our government has designed laws for that very purpose.

get on that shit!

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: memes]
    #9739580 - 02/05/09 08:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yea for real... sounds like some shady shit goin on there. id contact a union if i were you, im sure they can help you guys out no doubt.

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: Platinum]
    #9739588 - 02/05/09 08:33 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Say hello to Joey Bats, Union Organizer . . .

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

#9739615 - 02/05/09 08:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:

It is very very difficult (if not impossible) for an employer to keep a union out of a workplace where a vast majority of the employees desire one.  Our government has designed laws for that very purpose.

Its not impossible, I worked for a small shop years ago and we voted the union in something like 50+ yes votes and less than 5 no votes.
Well our contract came up a few weeks later and the owners of the company made it so we couldnt get our contract renewed and we all lost our jobs.
I guess they didnt stop us from getting the union in, they just shut us down for doing it.:shrug:

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9739754 - 02/05/09 09:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

also possible. 

the problem with unions is that oftentimes they make managing the company fucking IMPOSSIBLE.  I personally don't like them, but see their purpose.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #9739825 - 02/05/09 09:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Another problem with unions is that they foster a counterproductive "Us vs. Them" environment in the workplace, which pits the workers against the management, rather than everyone working together for the common goal of making money.

...but it sounds like, in this case, that's already a common at your place of employment. Fuck em', call a union rep.

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

#9741400 - 02/05/09 03:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
sounds like your employer has been committing some ULPs (unfair labor practices).

how so?

i dont know if they are reading my phone bill...i was just asking if it sounds like something they might do.

they can legally send in spies though, right?

i've noticed a shit load of out of state license plates since starting.  shade monkeys...

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9741802 - 02/05/09 04:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, i suppose they could employ 'spies' - but in all reality there would be no way of proving they were. 

I don't know how your employer is committing ULPs, since the legislation regarding these things is long and intricate.  However, judging from some of the actions you mentioned:

Quote:

my employer fired the organizers(but gave them back pay), threatened to close down the place, gave anti-union employees bonuses, etc.

Now, Im not sure if any of those specific actions are ULPs (in fact, I dont think any of those are), but if they're willing to go this far, it would not be a surprised in the slightest if they were committing ULPs in some way/shape/form.  That's why I recommended calling a union representative that would be a little more versed as to what was legal/illegal.

I'm pretty sure you can hold union-related meetings without interference from the emlpoyer so long as they're not during work hours & don't interfere with productivity

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

#9741909 - 02/05/09 04:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

that happened at a different distribution center but for the same company.  they have a nice chain of DCs.

one thing that i think happened, but not sure due to the amount of weed i was smoking(:lol:) was...ill go into detail...

i was purposely clocking in as early as i could, and purposely clocking out as late as i could, so that i would get some overtime pay.  i was working to the latest they said i could.  im quite sure they cute some of my pay out, because i was getting the overtime and then, baam, i wasn't, but i doing the same thing the whole time.  i looked it up and even made a thread here but realized that there wasn't much i could do without paying a bunch of money for a lawyer and possibly risking termination.

now i have to explain how the bonus system works...we use hand held scanners and each scan is placed within the amount of hours we worked to calculate our production percentage.  i wasn't getting bonuses and that's why i wanted the overtime.  when they took away some of the time i worked(assuming they did), it changed the total amount of time i worked to a little less, meaning i had a better score...same amount of scans but in less time.  still not enough to get a bonus though.

but this is what happened...i quit trying to get overtime, showed up and clocked in at the last minute, and left 5 minutes early(the earliest i could).  baam, i get the highest bonus i could get.  what i think happened, is that they kept taking time away from me, pushing the time i was there to even a smaller amount of time, boosting my production percentage, and causing me to get a bonus.

this company has actually had a well know law suit against them for not paying overtime to a shitload of their employees.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9742011 - 02/05/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

damn, sound's pretty intense.  I know most companies will avoid paying overtime if possible, and it sounds like they're trying hard to do the same where you work.

Again, labor relations is a sticky ass subject, and there's a billion ways to get around a million rules - just straight clusterfuck.  Most of the time companies get away with just about whatever they want because none of their employers are willing to put up with the GIANT HEADACHE that comes with unionizing.

That, and now that the economy sucks so bad - employers know damn well nobody wants to lose their job, even more incentive to do as they please.  The real travesty here is that if they commit a ULP and fire you for some unwarranted reason, you can't get back-pay or reinstatement until you get a lawyer, fight it in court (or arbitration), and get your money that way:  and not many blue collar (or white collar for that matter) people have that kind of cash & time layin around.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9742012 - 02/05/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i dont know if they are reading my phone bill...i was just asking if it sounds like something they might do.

They can not do that.

Quote:

i was purposely clocking in as early as i could, and purposely clocking out as late as i could, so that i would get some overtime pay.  i was working to the latest they said i could.  im quite sure they cute some of my pay out, because i was getting the overtime and then, baam, i wasn't, but i doing the same thing the whole time.  i looked it up and even made a thread here but realized that there wasn't much i could do without paying a bunch of money for a lawyer and possibly risking termination.

They are real shady.  If they are not paying you the hours you worked, bring it up to HR.  If HR won't fix it, work for a company that will pay you the hours you worked.

OfflineAmericanPsycho
Abomination of Nature
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandy SR2 Flag
Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: vinsue]
    #9742050 - 02/05/09 04:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

vinsue said:
Not if your phone has one of these . . . . . . Seriously, I doubt it . . . :peace:

seriously :ilold: .  There are so many people who are paranoid about shit these days it seems.  I actually saw someone down town the other day sitting on a bench wearing a tin foil hat

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9742092 - 02/05/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
The real travesty here is that if they commit a ULP and fire you for some unwarranted reason, you can't get back-pay or reinstatement until you get a lawyer, fight it in court (or arbitration), and get your money that way

yeah, i read somewhere yesterday that on average, it takes about 1700 something days to start receiving that pay.

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
They can not do that.

legally they cant...

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
They are real shady.  If they are not paying you the hours you worked, bring it up to HR.  If HR won't fix it, work for a company that will pay you the hours you worked.

the thing is...i think HR is responsible.  i've heard that HR at this company basically does managements dirty work.

im not sure though...im completely ignorant on most of this...im almost certain they did steal some time from me.  i dont talk to anyone, because i was told from the start that the majority of the people are shady and i've seen it to be true.

trust, im looking for another job, but oregon is not the place for that...

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: How much surveillance will employer place on you? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #9756630 - 02/07/09 07:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
Fuck em', call a union rep.

yeah...IBT.  :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order