Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
aquarium heater
    #972949 - 10/18/02 05:59 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, I happen to have an aquarium heater that is not 'fully submersible', how could I use this to heat my incubation chamber/growing chamber? Would I just put it in a jar filled with water? And would this work as well (or reasonably close) to using the submersible heater and a container inside a container type setup?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: aquarium heater [Re: fredthetree]
    #972954 - 10/18/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The non-submersible heaters have a line near the top that denotes the water level. Affix the heater to the side of a jar or other non-flammable container deep enough to maintain the required water level.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #972982 - 10/18/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I find non-submersible incubation does not work as well as the submersible method, because (especially in a smaller container) you will have hotspots...that is, the jars/bags of substrate closest to the heating-jar will be much hotter than the jars/bags of substrate furthest away from the heating-jar. With submersible heaters, you have more room to work with in your incubator, as well as a more evenly heated environment. Its worth the extra investment in my opinion for the (relatively) precise control it gives you.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: aquarium heater [Re: bowling-name]
    #973213 - 10/18/02 07:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Fully submersible heaters aren't that expensive, I got mine, (300 watts I think) for $32 at my local pet shop. It has been worth the investment.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

InvisibleCheeba
the shroomyqueen

Loc: atop my secret mountain
    #974407 - 10/19/02 08:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I was unable to find a fully submersable heater...so I just drilled a hole of the appropriate size on the outside water holding container...sylaconed a rubber grommet to the heater (above the line) and then sylaconed the heater with the grommet around it into the hole I drilled to the outside container. There is enough water between the two terreriums that I have not encountered 'hot spots'.
Love, Cheeba

--------------------
Carpe Diem <*))))><
Theres one sweet whirld out there!!
Now remember, you are unique! Just like everybody else!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate