Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

heat pad + aquarium heater= stable temps :)
    #9714501 - 01/31/09 09:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so yeah I was cleaning up today and noticed my pile of aquarium heaters and reptile heat pads was pretty big so...

took one heater apart removed the heating element then drilled a hole in the bottom..

took and cut the plug off the wire of a heat pad and fed it through one connection piece then the hole of the aq heater.

soldered the connections.
taped to avoid a short.

reassembled the aq heater body and plugged her in.. its definitely turning on the heater just wish I the drive to attach one of these led night lights to it so I could actually see when its on or off. the heater I grabbed is a solid black plastic bodied unit.. and says "stealth" on it, I found that funy when I noticed.

the aq heater is either 50 or 75 watts and the pad says on it 8 watts but I dont think that will be a prob since the relay for the pad is built into the lead connecting the pad to the wire.. any thoughts on this? I always use surge protectors too "jic" ... I plan to use this in a incubator if the temps drop again but its been warm so doubt ill need it...

I know people have issues with drying but I've used similar heating setups for reptile incubators and found it works well mounted inside up away from everything and ill still be misting and such so doubt ill have any issues.. anyone know something I might wanna take into consideration here? thanks for reading..

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

Edited by madwire3 (02/01/09 03:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: heat pad + aguarium heater= hopefully set heat [Re: madwire3]
    #9714664 - 01/31/09 10:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

anyone know something I might wanna take into consideration here? thanks for reading..

Yes.  Mycelium colonizes just fine at normal room temperature, and we get two or three threads a day where people have fried their mycelium with incubators.  Just put your jars on a shelf and forget them.  Contaminants are stimulated by high temps more so than mushroom mycelium.

If you live in an igloo without heat, put the heating pad on TOP of the container, not on bottom.  Putting it on the bottom is a fire hazzard as well as a good way to cook your mycelium and ruin it.  However, if you heat your house to normal room temp like most of us, your mycelium will be fine.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: heat pad + aguarium heater= hopefully set heat [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9714698 - 01/31/09 10:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yep I see those posts I simple worry about the cold nights in that room because it does feel like a igloo at times.. this pad thing is just to keep it above 55. I use a tib for my bator but plan on using a fridge at some point so gonna play with this heater in the meantime. thanks for the post though rr. good lookin out

oh and I was more asking about the mechanics of this heater. like are there any issues I may run into with it. :wink:

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

Edited by madwire3 (01/31/09 10:50 PM)

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9715763 - 02/01/09 03:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

tested for the last 4 or 5 hours.

used a cat littler bucket ...put the pad and thermostat in there ad cranked it up a lil... took 15 minutes before it hit 72 from 59. then kept rising so I turned it down a bit and got it dialed to 72 and some change.. it fluctuates of course but only by .3 degrees. I'm glad I read this idea on here. its way better than the stupid reptile thermostats and I had the stuff already...

bye bye chilled box :smile:
oh by the way I just checked that rooms temp 48 f the rest of the house 75.. its a crappy room someone built onto this house as a storage room. no vent and I doubt there is any insulation. only place to keep the grow though.. my ol lady doesn't like all of it randomly placed around the house and I like silence haha

--------------------
RR

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9716342 - 02/01/09 09:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

only place to keep the grow though.

Then you're going to be screwed at fruiting time anyway.  You can't heat an FC or all your humidity will become worthless condensation on the walls.  You need to grow mushrooms at normal room temperature.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: heat pad + aguarium heater= hopefully set heat [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9717382 - 02/01/09 01:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

even with 3 to 4 mistings? I'm not arguing I trust ur call rr ..

the heater will only be goin at night during the day it warms up nicely

--------------------
RR

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9717814 - 02/01/09 02:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

nevermind a friend is gonna come foam insulate the room for me and see about intalling a vent. I'm just gonna use that in a incubator teamed up with a comp fan to even out the temp. nice having friends with useful traits.. trade some magic for some foam. :smile:

--------------------
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix