Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZeroBoyWD
Zombie
Male

Numerous questions (Humidification, CO2, Terrarium setup, Infection, Time Frames)
    #9662830 - 01/23/09 12:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So I started a grow project a while back using BRF/Verm in pint jars (1/2's were no where to be found here.) Aside from the jars I lost to contamination everything went smooth enough.
I set up a perlite terrarium and birthed my cakes and place them on jar lids. I was dismayed to discover the 12 dollar Hydrometer I bought from petco doesn't exceed 80%RH. So having read a few files on using perlite, I figured that my humidity should be all right if I misted when I fanned the terrarium.
Well after a week and a half using a 12/12 light cycle and seeing no results I had assumed that I screwed something up changed out the (distilled) water. This time I placed my cakes directly on the perlite and just left the terrarium be for a few days (still fanning against hope lol).
So the other day I'm messing around with the tank, contemplating just throwing it all out and trying again and I notice a few pins sticking out from the bottom of the cakes. I flip them to find the bottoms covered with pinheads.
I determined my humidity was not where it needed to be and set up a 30-60G air pump and 2 bubble wands in the bottom of the tank and snagged a digital Thermo/Hydrometer with high/low readings for 7 bucks. (Woo!)
So setting up the hydrometer I found my RH to be at a mere 74%. So I kicked on my air pump and tried not to watch the pot boil so to speak.
Now I have some regularity in my tank (Avg temp:73 RH: 93-99%). So now to make with the questions:

Q: This morning as my girlfriend cranked the heater and the temperature in the tank went up to 77 and my humidity somehow plummeted to 79% overnight. Was my drop in humidity caused by the raised temperature? Also what damage can be done from the increased temperature (assuming growth slows?)

Q: Some of my cakes have developed some blue on them. Is this mold or normal?

Q: How much effect will the week and a half of poor climate conditions effect my grow?

Q: Will the air pump be sufficient to clear the CO2 from my tank or should I continue to fan it occasionally?

My pins have been getting bigger but I haven't seen any new ones develop yet. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

One love

--------------------
I'm done trying to be "right." I want the exchange of ideas to be the currency of my economy. If you have something I can use, great. I'll try it out. If you think my methods are shit, great. Don't use it. We all want yields.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Numerous questions (Humidification, CO2, Terrarium setup, Infection, Time Frames) [Re: ZeroBoyWD]
    #9663002 - 01/23/09 12:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Build a shotgun terrarium, toss out the air pumps and crap, place the cakes on foil, and get ready for some serious fruits.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineZeroBoyWD
Zombie
Male

Re: Numerous questions (Humidification, CO2, Terrarium setup, Infection, Time Frames) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9663028 - 01/23/09 01:06 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Tried one. Still got it sitting next to my current terrarium. Then again I set it up with the hydrometer that doesn't read over 80%. I may give it another whack. Question though. My current terrarium is about the same size as my shotgun was and without the airpump the perlite alone doesn't keep the humidity up. Do I just need to use more perlite?

Edit: Just skimmed the guide. I do not have a RH of 50% in my home. I think its around 30-36?

--------------------
I'm done trying to be "right." I want the exchange of ideas to be the currency of my economy. If you have something I can use, great. I'll try it out. If you think my methods are shit, great. Don't use it. We all want yields.

Edited by ZeroBoyWD (01/23/09 01:15 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Numerous questions (Humidification, CO2, Terrarium setup, Infection, Time Frames) [Re: ZeroBoyWD]
    #9663547 - 01/23/09 05:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Shotgun terrarium should still maintain atleast 90% in your climate.

First, do not heat your fruiting chamber directly, this will effect your humidity for a start. Heating directly will cause condensation to form on the walls, which robs you of humidity.

With the shotgun fruiting chamber, you need the holes in all 6 sides, that means the bottom too, and raise it of the table its sitting on so the bottom holes can get air .

Also make sure that you have the correct size holes, 1/4 inch, if there too big your going to be loosing humidity.

Test your hygrometers, wrap them in a damp towel for 1 hour. It should read 99%.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix