Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemethylenedma
Friend
Loc: Boston, MA
Help a noob with his poo
    #9650188 - 01/21/09 03:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys, long time viewer first time poster, haha. Im a student studying biology and i absolutely love the complexity of life that mother nature has given us to experiment with. Ive been researching mushroom cultivation for some time now and am going to give it a shot, but first i have a question.

I plan on using dehydrated horse poo for my substrate that i found at mycosupply.com. but since its dehydrated im a little confused on how much to use. what seems best to me is to do about 50% poop (by weight, right?), 40% coco-coir, 10% straw, and i was thinking about throwing in some lime and oyster shells. whaddya think?

I then plan on throwing this in a filter patch bag, boiling it to pasteurize, knock it up, then when its ready cut it into slices and 50/50 case it. then i hope a fish tank heater in a cup of water in my fruiting chamber will be enough to maintain a good temp. sound good?

thanks peeps. burn me if you want, im not too sensitive

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help a noob with his poo [Re: methylenedma]
    #9650194 - 01/21/09 03:10 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You don't noc up bulk substrates. You need a spawning substrate, like grains.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Help a noob with his poo [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9650218 - 01/21/09 03:29 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Since he's a biology student maybe he could get hold of some petris and agar to germinate his spores and then use the live mycelium in a water suspension to knock up his bags?

Edited by johnny_poke (01/21/09 03:33 AM)

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help a noob with his poo [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9650232 - 01/21/09 03:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Why not do it the proper way? Especially if he's never grown before. I'd start experimenting after getting a few grows under my belt and know I can do it right.
Inventing Teks on your first project = :failboat:

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Edited by German Kahuna (01/21/09 03:46 AM)

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
    #9650241 - 01/21/09 03:49 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm searching for the tek I'm referring to but not found it yet. I believe I saw it here at The Shroomery. I just figured what with him being a biology student and all that he probably has a decent grasp on how to handle this sort of thing already. But you are right Kahuna, it probably is better to follow a tried and tested tek first time. Hell, I don't even know if myc suspension would work on bags of horse poo!

I have a better idea for you Methylenedma, why not just ignore my suggestion.:grin:

Edited by johnny_poke (01/21/09 03:53 AM)

Offlineomgitsteddy
Stranger
    #9650305 - 01/21/09 04:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

There'd be no control so any findings would be near useless, and it would be a lengthy process to find out what you did right or wrong, ultimatly going back to square one = big unneeded circle. My first time growing and ill give you the advice they gave me..PF tek for growing, then shotgun TEK for fruiting chamber. you can find detailed guides on both, i even found videos on a step-by-step through the entire process that made it a lot simpler.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9650349 - 01/21/09 05:24 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

johnny_poke said:
I'm searching for the tek I'm referring to but not found it yet. I believe I saw it here at The Shroomery. I just figured what with him being a biology student and all that he probably has a decent grasp on how to handle this sort of thing already. But you are right Kahuna, it probably is better to follow a tried and tested tek first time. Hell, I don't even know if myc suspension would work on bags of horse poo!

I have a better idea for you Methylenedma, why not just ignore my suggestion.:grin:

The fact that he talked about inoculating a bulk substrate somehow make me think that he hasn't studied biology for too long just yet. Or at least not the part of biology that is mycology.

--------------------

Offlinemethylenedma
Friend
Loc: Boston, MA
    #9652689 - 01/21/09 02:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ahh alright. i understand it more now. i wasnt planning on inoculating my "bulk" substrate. i was going to put small amounts of the substrate i described in the op into a bunch of bags then mix them together before casing them. i didnt realize that mycelium requires different nutrients at different points in its life cycle but it makes perfect sense. or is it just easier for mycelium to spread in bird seed?

and yes kahuna you guessed it. ive been a biochem student until recently so my focus has been more chemistry than biology. i havent studied fungi much./

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: Help a noob with his poo [Re: methylenedma]
    #9652722 - 01/21/09 02:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yes you want to first grow out on something like sterilized grain, or pf cakes. then you take the fully colonized substrate and add it into a pasteurized bulk mixture.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: Help a noob with his poo [Re: doze]
    #9652785 - 01/21/09 03:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If your going to do it right, start small. You will learn a lot and get a great idea of the entire process and how it will apply to bigger processes/grows. The advice I got was to do that and I have gone exactly that direction; pf tek, mono tub, WBS (wild bird seed), WBS to bulk substrate in greenhouse (stuck with that). My next step is to further my knowledge of mycology by using agar, spore printing and working with isolating strains.

So take it slow and do it right.

Best of luck,

I.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck