Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNosLaser
Changes to PF Tek jars
    #9643183 - 01/20/09 12:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I know many people here are a big fan of the PF Tek for both the nutrients and simplicity it provides, and that although simple, it took years of trial and error to come up with that formula.  That being said, what would your opinion be of the following formula in 1/2 pint jars:

Horse Dung

Organic Brown Rice Flour Freshly Ground

Organic Worm Castings

Organic Bee Pollen

Horticulture Grade Vermiculite

Mineral Water

Vermiculite/peat moss casing layer

Thank you in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Changes to PF Tek jars [Re: NosLaser]
    #9643234 - 01/20/09 01:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, why not. I don't know how much difference it would make in your yield. Brown rice has plenty of nutes by itself. Maybe do a side by side comparison of a standard formula jar next to your mix.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineNosLaser
Re: Changes to PF Tek jars [Re: FooMan]
    #9643248 - 01/20/09 01:11 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

One of the main things I am concerned with aside from increasing nutrients, is I wonder if the addition of those other items hold any higher risk for contamination than just BRF and Verm.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9643267 - 01/20/09 01:16 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

There is no additional risk that I can think of. Just use the dry verm top layer like you normally would, sterilize the jars properly and use viable inoculant and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the water content right though. Too much water can cause stalled growth and possible contams.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9643272 - 01/20/09 01:18 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I just noticed you said "verm/peat" casing layer. Don't use peat as part of the dry top layer if that's what you meant.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9643697 - 01/20/09 03:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NosLaser said:
I know many people here are a big fan of the PF Tek for both the nutrients and simplicity it provides, and that although simple, it took years of trial and error to come up with that formula.  That being said, what would your opinion be of the following formula in 1/2 pint jars:

Horse Dung

Organic Worm Castings

Organic Bee Pollen

Mineral Water

Thank you in advance.

It is a waste of space in my opinion.

Because you are only using little half pint jars I imagine you want a bigger bang for your buck.

There is no substrate more efficient (as in weight per weight, not time efficient) than Verm+BRF.
Bulk substrates are much less efficient than grains as they contain less food, but it is so much easier to prepare huge amounts of them by pasteurizing that the extra weight of substrate compensates for the reduced efficiency.

But in your case, where you will be having a set amount of space to produce your substrate in (X amount of jars) you want the maximum efficiency.

If you want to do it as an experiment please do so, but don't expect it to increase your yields or your potency.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offline4 ho cultivar
Transcending plains
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central, Oregon {represen...
Re: Changes to PF Tek jars [Re: Nibin]
    #9643877 - 01/20/09 05:46 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i'd like to know the results.

--------------------
:mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::Patience be thy virtue:crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2:

Blurring the line between reality and dreams
Mr. Winkie says: "Procrastinators unite................................tommorrow!!:ganja:
G.Kahuna said: "Plus you get all the fun from taking a walk {and} shooting mycelium at cow droppings with a super soaker. Now beat that!":cuteshit:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Changes to PF Tek jars [Re: Nibin]
    #9644050 - 01/20/09 07:07 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Quote:

NosLaser said:

Horse Dung

Organic Worm Castings

Organic Bee Pollen

Mineral Water

Thank you in advance.

It is a waste of space in my opinion.

Because you are only using little half pint jars I imagine you want a bigger bang for your buck.

There is no substrate more efficient (as in weight per weight, not time efficient) than Verm+BRF.
Bulk substrates are much less efficient than grains as they contain less food, but it is so much easier to prepare huge amounts of them by pasteurizing that the extra weight of substrate compensates for the reduced efficiency.

But in your case, where you will be having a set amount of space to produce your substrate in (X amount of jars) you want the maximum efficiency.

If you want to do it as an experiment please do so, but don't expect it to increase your yields or your potency.

Agreed.

If you want to add anything to the pf tek you can hydrate your verm with half strength drinking coffee. Also adding gypsum is a good additive also.

Theres no harm in trying though.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineNosLaser
Re: Changes to PF Tek jars [Re: FooMan]
    #9644969 - 01/20/09 10:40 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FooMan said:
I just noticed you said "verm/peat" casing layer. Don't use peat as part of the dry top layer if that's what you meant.

Would there be any specific drawbacks?

And thank you all for the responses.  This is what I was looking for.  I'm asking these questions for a reason, and I also think threads like these help others promote some creative thinking.

Let me also say that I am vulnerable to the knowledge base available here, and am using this thread to learn a lot as well.  Thanks.

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
    #9645002 - 01/20/09 10:46 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I personally like just adding half coffee to my total water measurment I think this works well!! ___>E

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
    #9645017 - 01/20/09 10:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have done manure based cakes before on several occasions. 
I have used all the ingredients you listed above, with the exception of bee pollen and peat.  Peat shouldn't be in a substrate anyways. I also had gypsum, straw and various grain flours in some jars(amarenth and quinoa. The jars worked fine and the only difference noted was the increased rhizo's on the manure compared to the brf/verm cakes.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder