Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days
    #9637505 - 01/19/09 11:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here we go again...

--

New worm is very sophisticated and spreading fast

Last week the international community was hit by one of the worst viral internet attacks to take over the corporate world in recent years.  The worm -- which goes by the names Downadup, Conficker, or Kido -- had infected 8 million computers, almost all on corporate networks, by Friday.  Describes Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at anti-virus firm F-Secure, "On Tuesday there were 2.5 million, on Wednesday 3.5 million and today [Friday], eight million.  It's getting worse, not better."

As of today, an estimated 8.9 million machines are infected with the virus.  The very sophisticated worm exploits multiple secure flaws in Microsoft's Windows OS's.  It injects itself into services.exe, a common system process.  It creates a new DLL file in Windows system folder with a random five letter name.  It makes registry edits referencing this DLL as a service, so it’s automatically run on restart.

Once it has its grips on the system, it proceeds to create an HTTP server and download malware onto the computer from hacker web sites.  It also wipes out the system restore with a reset, making it harder to recover the system.  While many viruses download malware remotely from a handful of web sites, allowing for easy removal of the installed files, this one is much trickier.  Every day hundreds of dummy domain names are generated by an algorithm coded in the worm, with only one being the actual malware site.  This makes it extremely difficult to find exactly what is being installed each day.

The virus's main method of transmission is via local networks.  Once a computer is infected on the network it scans for other computers on the network, and then it uses the aforementioned Windows security flaw to attempt to gain access to them.  While the computers are typically password protected, the virus can guess shorter passwords by a brute force method of random guessing.  Once it finds the right password, it infects the next computer, which joins the attacking ranks.

Microsoft has a patch which protects against the Ethernet side of the attack -- MS08-067.  Companies are strongly recommended to get this patch as the virus is rapidly spreading across Europe, the United States, and Asia.

Describes Graham Culley, senior technology consultant with anti-virus firm Sophos, "Microsoft did a good job of updating people's home computers, but the virus continues to infect business who have ignored the patch update.  A shortage of IT staff during the holiday break didn't help and rolling out a patch over a large number of computers isn't easy.  What's more, if your users are using weak passwords - 12345, QWERTY, etc - then the virus can crack them in short order.”

However, while the patch may slow the spread of the virus it may not be enough to stop it.  The most recent variant of the worm, which is the one that was released two weeks ago and caused the number of infections to skyrocket, can transmit itself via USB, an attack route that currently no Windows patch blocks.  While properly patched antivirus software may block the attack, relying on such a software block is a risky proposition.

Kaspersky Lab's security analyst, Eddy Willems describes the virus's nightmarish spread, stating, "The replication methods are quite good. It's using multiple mechanisms, including USB sticks, so if someone got an infection from one company and then takes his USB stick to another firm, it could infect that network too. It also downloads lots of content and creating new variants though this mechanism."

Thus far the virus has only been used to inject malware into PCs.  But security experts warn that attackers could use their foothold on the system to start stealing users' and customers' credit card numbers and personal information.  It could also be used to completely hijack the computer, adding it to a botnet.

Ultimately the only current solution is for companies to patch their machines, quarantine and remove malware from infected machines, and disallow use of USB storage devices.

DailyTech

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: Diploid]
    #9637729 - 01/19/09 12:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> Ultimately the only current solution is for companies to ...

... switch to a non-Microsoft product.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: Seuss]
    #9637840 - 01/19/09 12:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

BSD is fine for companies with a month of employee training thereafter and also end-user information packets.

All problems solved.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9638991 - 01/19/09 03:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Microsoft = crap

That is the problem in a nutshell.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinefall
Stranger

Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9639018 - 01/19/09 03:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds shitty... And I'll take this opportunity to plug linux.  Seriously, it's evolved to the point that it is just as easy to use as windows, is still free, and this (to my knowledge) doesn't happen.  Live install disks let you give it a go before actually installing the OS. Or I suppose you could install that patch and wait for the next huge malware attack...

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: fall]
    #9640080 - 01/19/09 05:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

why not just install antivirus 2009?  it found all kinds of stuff on my box and took care of it for me for free.  :hehehe:

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: iateshaggy]
    #9640199 - 01/19/09 06:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> why not just install antivirus 2009?

Golly, perhaps because it doesn't detect new threats very well.  Rather than play Russian Roulette, why not run software that isn't plagued by malware?

--------------------

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: Seuss]
    #9640683 - 01/19/09 07:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

lol seuss, i run linux.  even if i did run windoze, i'd never fall for that trick.  i did get a good laugh out of it when i cam across their site.  i also laugh at how many calls a week i get asking "do i need to install antivirus 2009?"

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: Diploid]
    #9657340 - 01/22/09 07:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

January 21, 2009 (Computerworld) The computer worm responsible for the biggest attack in years has infected at least one out of every 16 PCs worldwide, a security company said today, and it may have managed to compromise as many as nearly one in three.

According to Panda Security, almost 6% of the Windows systems scanned with its antivirus technology were found to be infected with "Downadup," a worm that began aggressive attacks just over a week ago. Panda was one of the first security firms to sound an alarm over Downadup when it raised its security threat level on Jan. 12 as reports of attacks mounted.

Using data from antivirus scans performed by its consumer-grade security software and by a free online scanning tool that it makes available on its Web site, Panda found 111,379 PCs infected with the worm out of a pool of 2 million machines.

"I'm pretty confident in this number," said Ryan Sherstobitoff, chief corporate evangelist at Panda Security, as he cautioned it was just a snapshot. "Conficker is still infecting high volumes of machines and is a fast-propagating worm."

Conficker is an alternate name for the Downadup worm.

In fact, Panda's estimate is probably very conservative, Sherstobitoff said, since the bulk of the infected computers were scanned when their owners took the time to steer their browsers to the company's online scanner.

"The 6% was of people coming to our site and opting in for the scans. That's somewhat scary," said Sherstobitoff. "If we were actually to look at the [general] population, all the people who don't have antivirus -- or if they do, who haven't updated definitions -- the infection rate might be in the range of 20% to 30%."

While there has been some disagreement among security researchers about Downadup's infection volume -- last week, for instance, some disputed F-Secure Corp.'s estimate of 8.9 million infected PCs -- there has been little argument about the relative size of the worm attack. Nearly every researcher has pegged it as the biggest in years.

Today, Panda joined the chorus. "This is the biggest in at least six years," said Sherstobitoff.

Luis Corrons, the technical director of Panda's research lab, put it in the same terms. "[This is] a phenomenon we haven't seen since the times of the great epidemics of Kournikova or Blaster," said Corrons in a statement, referring to major worm attacks of 2001 and 2003, respectively.

And things will get worse before they get better, both Corrons and Sherstobitoff predicted. "This is an epidemic, and the worst may still be to come, as the worm could begin to download more malware onto computers or to spread through other channels," Corrons said.

"We're still getting lots of reports of infections," echoed Sherstobitoff. "It could be a week or a week and a half before it slows down."

On a related note, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) today said that Microsoft's advice for disabling Windows' "Autorun" feature is flawed and leaves users open to attack from the worm.

Computer World

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Offlineflip3084
greenteajunkie4life
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North Augusta, SC
    #9657366 - 01/22/09 07:54 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Does anyone have any info on how to search for this infection?? I would love to know if I have it..lol. E-herpes:rofl2:
but really.

--------------------

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: flip3084]
    #9657830 - 01/22/09 10:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

flip3084 said:
E-herpes

:rofl2:

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #9681811 - 01/26/09 11:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

We're up to 15,000,000 e-Herpes infections and counting.

--

WASHINGTON, Jan. 26 (UPI) -- A virulent computer virus has infected as many as 15 million computers around the world so far, according to various estimates.

The virus -- a self-replicating computer worm known as Downadup, Conficker or Kido -- spreads across computer networks using Microsoft Windows software which have not been patched or updated properly. Microsoft issued a patch that fixes the vulnerability the virus exploits last October.

The Independent on Sunday newspaper said in London at the weekend that more than 3,000 British organizations, including hospitals and the Ministry of Defense, have been hit by the virus.

But U.S. computer security firm Symantec noted on its blog last week that very few computers in North America had been infected, a trend which it attributed to the greater prevalence of legal and fully patched software.

"China, India and Russia all have a high percentage of pirated software in use and these countries also feature in the top 10 countries (for) Downadup infections," said the blog. "The lack of patching due to piracy may be a contributory factor to high infection rates in those countries," the blog concluded.

The Independent on Sunday said as many as 15 million computers worldwide had been infected, but most other estimates are in the 8 million to 12 million range. Helsinki-based Internet security software firm F-Secure said on its blog infections may have peaked.

Security experts say the virus' purpose is still unclear and the network of infected computers it has created has yet to be activated. Most such malicious software is used by criminal gangs to send spam or launch so-called denial of service attacks.

The virus primarily spreads through unpatched Windows networks, but computers can also become infected via a USB flash drive.

To protect themselves, users should download Microsoft patch MS08-067 and update their antivirus software.

UPI

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #9682102 - 01/26/09 12:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

But how do you get it? Do you have to click on something or how does it get in?

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: Stonehenge]
    #9683404 - 01/26/09 03:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

> Do you have to click on something or how does it get in?

Yet another bug in Microcrap's implementation of RPC (remote procedure call).  You don't have to do anything at all other than have an unprotected machine running on an unprotected network.  Because most people/places now run some sort of firewall or port blocker, wide area network attacks are fairly useless.  This means that the worm spreads slowly, having to be introduced into a local area network.  However, once a single machine in a LAN is infected, that machine can then infect all the other unprotected machines within the LAN very quickly.  It can also install itself on USB flash drives along with an autorun script.  If you plug an infected USB flash drive into your machine, and have autorun enabled, you get infected, even if you are patched against the RPC attack.  Finally, an infected machine within a LAN will attack patched machines within the LAN trying to brute force (guess) passwords.

--------------------

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

#9683622 - 01/26/09 04:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Does anyone know what the files on the USB are? We had a few computers get infected at work and the virus was installing System.exe with an autorun script with it. Virus scans would remove it but it'd come back until you deleted it in Linux. Is that it or was that someting else?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: magicbastard]
    #9683862 - 01/26/09 05:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If MS were a professional, like a doctor or lawyer, they'd be in jail for gross negligence and lack of due diligence by now.

This link at CERT might help you fix your network: http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA09-020A.html

Here is the operant section:

==========
Disable AutoRun in Microsoft Windows

To effectively disable AutoRun in Microsoft Windows, import the following registry value:

REGEDIT4
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]
      @="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

To import this value, perform the following steps:

1. Copy the text
  2. Paste the text into Windows Notepad
  3. Save the file as autorun.reg
  4. Navigate to the file location
  5. Double-click the file to import it into the Windows registry

Microsoft Windows can also cache the AutoRun information from mounted devices in the MountPoints2 registry key. We recommend restarting Windows after making the registry change so that any cached mount points are reinitialized in a way that ignores the Autorun.inf file. Alternatively, the following registry key may be deleted:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

Once these changes have been made, all of the AutoRun code execution scenarios described above will be mitigated because Windows will no longer parse Autorun.inf files to determine which actions to take. Further details are available in the CERT/CC Vulnerability Analysis blog. Thanks to Nick Brown and Emin Atac for providing the workaround.

Update:

Microsoft has provided support document KB953252, which describes how to correct the problem of NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry value enforcement. After the update is installed, Windows will obey the NoDriveTypeAutorun registry value. Note that this fix has been released via Microsoft Update to Windows Vista and Server 2008 systems as part of the MS08-038 Security Bulletin. Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003 users must install the update manually. Our testing has shown that installing this update and setting the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry value to 0xFF will disable AutoRun as well as the workaround described above.

==========

Take a look here too: http://www.cert.org/blogs/vuls/2008/04/the_dangers_of_windows_autorun.html

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #9683866 - 01/26/09 05:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

January 21, 2009 (Computerworld)  Microsoft Corp.'s advice on disabling Windows' "Autorun" feature is flawed, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) said today, and it leaves users who rely on its guidelines to protect their PCs against the fast-spreading Downadup worm open to attack.

In an alert issued on Monday, US-CERT said Microsoft's instructions on turning off Autorun are "not fully effective" and "could be considered a vulnerability."

The flaw in Microsoft's guidelines are important at the moment, because the "Downadup" worm, which has compromised more computers than any other attack in years, can spread through USB devices, such as flash drives and cameras, by taking advantage of Windows' Autorun and Autoplay features.

Autorun, the focus of the US-CERT warning, lets Windows automatically run any program specified in the "autorun.inf" on, for example, a CD or a flash drive, as soon as the disc or device is inserted or connected. By default, Windows has Autorun enabled.

The problem is that Downadup, which as of last week had infected nearly 9 million PCs worldwide, tries to spread using USB-based devices, typically flash drives. The worm creates an autorun.inf file at the root directory of any USB-based device it finds connected to the infected machine. Then, when that device is later connected to an uninfected computer, the autorun.inf file copies the worm to the machine without any action on the part of the user or the user even knowing.

The result: another PC hacked by Downadup.

Although Microsoft has not formally recommended that users disable Autorun as an anti-Downadup measure, most security companies and researchers have in light of the autorun.inf infection vector. According to US-CERT, Microsoft's advice is useless.

"The 'Autorun' and 'NoDriveTypeAutorun' registry values [specified by Microsoft] are both ineffective for fully disabling Autorun capabilities on Microsoft Windows systems," the organization said. "Setting the Autorun registry value to '0' will not prevent newly-connected devices from automatically running code specified in the Autorun.inf file. It will, however, disable Media Change Notification (MCN) messages, which may prevent Windows from detecting when a CD or DVD is changed."

Likewise, the recommended "0xFF" setting for the NoDriveTypeAutorun registry entry, which Microsoft says "disables Autoplay on all drives," won't protect users from infection if they happen to double-click on the drive's icon in Windows Explorer, said US-CERT.

Instead, users should make a different modification to the Windows registry, US-CERT said. In the alert, it gave the new value as well as instructions on how to copy it to Windows Notepad and import it into the registry.

"Once these changes have been made, all of the Autorun code-execution scenarios described above will be mitigated because Windows will no longer parse autorun.inf files to determine which actions to take," read the US-CERT warning.

One security researcher said he was surprised that Microsoft didn't catch its recommendation errors, particularly in light of the ongoing Downadup attacks. "Seems unbecoming of Microsoft not to have been the one posting this information on a blog of theirs," said Andrew Storms, director of security operations at nCircle Network Security Inc.

He also bemoaned the need to edit the registry to disable Autorun. "Not only [is] editing the registry outside the [reach] of most people, but now we have learned that the information from the source is not complete," Storms added in an exchange via instant messaging.

Microsoft did not immediately reply to a request for comment on US-CERT's alert.

ComputerWorld

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Windows Virus Run Rampant - 8 Million Infections In Four Days [Re: magicbastard]
    #9683905 - 01/26/09 05:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Unlikely. There are several trojans that go by System.exe.  You can also usually delete these 'undeletable' files from safemode.  I haven't seen this one myself, and I haven't been able to find any specific filename on the USB/Network drive infections which would lead me to believe that it chooses random filenames.  (Guess on my part.)

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #9686089 - 01/26/09 10:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Believe it or not. Some government agencies buy virus code for like 10 grand each. If it's good, you can get more money.

There are legitimate virus designers, and some not so legitimate.

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #9688895 - 01/27/09 01:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have zone alarm so if I got it and it tried to download something, I would at least be warned. I agree microcrap is guilty of gross negligence. All they care about is grabbing your money.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order