Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagma
student
Loc: Somewhere Unpleasant
Poultry Manure
    #963357 - 10/15/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I was at my local garden supply store the other day, and came across this stuff, Espoma Garden Manure 4-2-2. More research using google, I found out 2 cool things. This garden manure is made from dehydrated poultry manure. Second, I found that commercial mushroom growers use chicken litter(manure) in their substrates. In fact you can buy the spent subtrates to use in your garden. I was wondering what you guys thought about any of this. Think it is safe to use this stuff ?? It smells god awful so if it gonna fail right off, I'd rather not go through the pain.

magma

--------------------
An instant later, I was crawled up on my bed (in the fetal position) with my eyes closed, squirming around, screaming (in my head) 'Fuck! You killed yourself!' ...
-Sasha Shulgin - TiHKAL #38

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: magma]
    #963450 - 10/15/02 03:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Horse and cow work good, why not just use them?

I think chicken is like goat... I know it will burn plants, whether it be the nitrogen or the pH...
Don't fuck with birds, man

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #963554 - 10/15/02 04:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you can't use poultry manure as is...it will kill the mycelium
it's used as nitrogen source in agaricus compost production...read TMC to understand the whole process
or stick with cow or horse manure :smile:

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #963718 - 10/15/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

To HOT & not enough lignen. It will toast myc, by itself. 6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinegoldtop
Wild Spore

Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #963764 - 10/15/02 05:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think Magna wants to use chicken manure for the same reason I do - Cow dung is very hard to find in the city.

--------------------
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!" - Queen

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: CLuB99]
    #976961 - 10/20/02 12:17 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In my area there are about ten million Canadian geese. Anyone who has been around geese knows that they are shit making machines, hence, I have access to tons of Canadian goose poo. Could I use this for colonization, or is it just as bad for mycelium as chicken poo? I already use the CG poo in my compost bin, but could it be used directly for production of mushrooms?

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Poultry Manure [Re: goldtop]
    #977201 - 10/20/02 01:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Try to find horse dung. There are horses around, even in cities. It might be tough to find. But, if you can get it, it will make you a happy camper, once you grow a flush out of it.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#977496 - 10/20/02 04:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You can't find poo in Australia???? That just sounds weird. There's gotta be something, somewhere!!! Riding stables? Dairy cows?

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#977513 - 10/20/02 04:59 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I would assume kangeroo - wallaby poo would work. They are grazers. Sheep dung will also work. 6T

--------------------

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #977775 - 10/20/02 06:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

dingo poo

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Poultry Manure [Re: MsPacMan]
    #977797 - 10/20/02 07:03 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Dingo is a carnivore.  :grin: Like dog................... :shocked:

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: SixTango]
    #979593 - 10/21/02 10:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

About the geese, yes any one who has been around geese knows that they are almost constantly shitting. But they would also know that goose shit may well be the most revolting defecations, ever, anywhere. Generally containing as much puss as solid matter, rancidly noxious smelling, and possibly even hazardous to collect. Geese are some mean fucking animals. Did you know that they hiss? This fucking bird, which is HUGE by the way, is sitting there shitting away and hissing at you. This is not a pretty sight to find in front of you. Trust me. Stick to cows; they're nice.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: Teon]
    #4264172 - 06/06/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i know im ressurecting an old thread but what i have to say is direct follow up.

the local mushroom farm uses poultry and straw, pasturized and spawned from whole grain.

and they have aggreed to sell me pasturized unspawned bulk. ready to run.  i wa a little leary about using poulrty but he says it work jut find and will work fine for just about evrything.  heres a pic i took of his spent substrate out back,

basically for $20 canadian a pop, i get a bag that is expected to grow 20 lb of mushroom over a 3 week flush. not counting the throw away tiny fluhes.

im getting one and if it works i will get more.

i told him i was growing king tropharias and i wa going to mix the fully colonized bulk into outdoor alder multch.
he don't need to know the truth. :wink:

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Poultry Manure [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4264225 - 06/06/05 03:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

local farms are helping out independent growers? damn, those canadians sound pretty nice. if i tried asking asking a commerical shroom farm for anything they would call the cops on me in a second. even the damn horse farmers are assholes to people looking for manure.

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: yousuck]
    #4264318 - 06/06/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the key thing here to understand is that you cant grow any thing with bird shit , its just too hot ( full of nitrogen), it can be water down and sprayed on corn fields thow. the way its is used with mushrooms is to speed composting, the bactera that bracks down the organic matter in a compost pile uses nitrogen to do so, the way big places make a lot of compost real fast (green to black and good in 2 weeks) is to dump a bunch or nitrogen on via ammonium sulfate or chicken shit. unless you are make your own compost you have no use for chicken shit ...

--------------------
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

OfflinemuleV
just a ass
Male User Gallery
Loc: Jamaica-- umm what day is...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #4264360 - 06/06/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Use it to make compost. A simple mix of chicken manure,straw,and oat meal or corn meal would make a fine substrate.

--------------------
Best Quotes;
Agar
One little needle prick with a loaded spore syringe.
And, the spores rule you forever.
:crazy2:

My reality check bounced, Whats your excuse?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Poultry Manure [Re: mule]
    #4264534 - 06/06/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed. I use a bit of chicken manure in my compost mix along with cow, horse, worm castings, coir, seaweed, and a bit of verm to lighten it all up. Don't use more than about 10% of the total as chicken manure. It will help grow some giants.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck