Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture?
    #9632189 - 01/18/09 02:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

was it the possibility of growing your own droogs? perhaps something else?
or have you always had a green thumb?
did a member of your family encourage you?

personally speaking i've always been fascinated with plants, since before i can even remember.
both of my parents and grandparents were gardeners, so from a very young age they all encouraged me to help out in the garden and i guess this is what sparked my interest :thumbup:

my mother (despite being a good outdoor gardener) is an expert killer of house plants lol, constant overwatering and underwatering being the main problem so saving her house plants from certain death was another thing that taught me the basics of plant care.

apparently by the age of 10 i could name almost every plant in my parents garden, including botanical names :lol:
this is what my mum told me anyway, my memory doesn't go back that far :smirk:

i'll continue the story of my growing "career" later in the thread :yesnod:

let's hear yours...

--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetenacioustornado
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #9632235 - 01/18/09 02:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know what fascinated me none of my parents gardened really besides some beans and common vegetables. They let me start my own little vegetable garden at around 14 grew corn and stuff then started growing fruits and good looking flowers like morning glories, I didn't even know those were psychoactive back then and they were Heavenly blue too. I got seriously interested in ethnobotanicals around 18 before that I heard about ethno's, but didn't look into it much. I tried california poppies  around 16 and that didn't do jack, good looking flowers though and very easy to grow my fascination hasn't stopped since.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: tenacioustornado]
    #9632250 - 01/18/09 02:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ahh yes i remember having my own little patch of garden bed that i adopted because no one else in the family wanted it lol...
it was the crumbiest dryest patch of sandy soil ever, raped of all nutrition and moisture by a 30 foot leylandii hedge... :lol:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
    #9632259 - 01/18/09 02:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i have always and still am fascinated by how things grow. and i like to observe the different stages of growth, and plants allow you to do that quickly. and fungi.

drugs were probably the main thing that got me really interested in horticulture/botany/mycology but now, a whole new world has opened up to me. i grow herbs every summer and it is satisfying to watch something you nurtured mature.
this summer i am going to try tobacco and sage.

i just purchased my first worm bin too now, so now ima amatuer vermicomposter. all things i would not have otherwise been interested in, ever.

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #9632294 - 01/18/09 02:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My grandmother loved cacti and succculents so I think I got the bug from her (genetically).
My mom is also a greenthumb and has taught me many things in general.

FH

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: grymmtymm]
    #9632347 - 01/18/09 02:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

grymmtymm said:
drugs were probably the main thing that got me really interested in horticulture/botany/mycology but now, a whole new world has opened up to me. i grow herbs every summer and it is satisfying to watch something you nurtured mature.
this summer i am going to try tobacco and sage.

i just purchased my first worm bin too now, so now ima amatuer vermicomposter. all things i would not have otherwise been interested in, ever.

that's nice, it's good to hear that an interest in droog plants has led to a more general interest in growing plants for you :thumbup::congrats:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: felixhigh]
    #9632354 - 01/18/09 02:44 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
My grandmother loved cacti and succculents so I think I got the bug from her (genetically).

hehe so are we assuming that a green thumb is genetic?
that's an interesting theory indeed matey :yesnod:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleKBG1977
    #9632415 - 01/18/09 02:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Nice thread man,I guess I'll throw my two cents worth in.I think gardening and love of plants is a genetic trait,but not everybody inherits this trait in your family.My brothers,and sisters do not like plants in the least,but I remember as a small child,my mom always had tons of houseplants,and my Grandmother had the biggest fruit,and veggie garden on the block.She was serious about that shit too,and made sure her garden was the best on the block.As a child I would help her harvest the fruits of her labor,and I've always had a fascination with plants.I really never got into growing plants until I started smoking herbs around 12 years ago.I figured why buy the shit when I can grow it.Well,it took me a few years of trying to get it right,then I started growing,and loving other useful plants as well,then just ordinary plants that served no etthno purposes at all,Now I love all plants,and it's my number one hobby next to fishing,and I actually believeIi would have to say it is my single most favorite hobby in the world:grin:I would be very depressed without my plants,gotta give all plants a shout out:grin:

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: KBG1977]
    #9632512 - 01/18/09 03:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i don't think i could live without my plants either mate... i have no other hobbies that i can think of :lol:

my interest in droog plants started when i moved out of my parents house when i was about 20 years old, i already had a fairly heavy pot smoking habit at that stage and it was becoming expensive and the quality of the herb was getting worse and worse...
i already had the "genetic" green thumb lol so i invested in the equipment and started growing my own...
i was lucky enough to have a friend who had been growing for many years and he taught me everything i needed to know about MJ cultivation so it was very successful from the start :yesnod:

not sure that it was the best decision i ever made as it has got me into alot of trouble and earned me a criminal record, but those 6 or 7 years were some of the best of my life and very lucrative so i don't regret it for one second :awesome:

i didn't even know plants such as salvia or peyote existed until i started browsing this forum for mushroom information a few years ago, the popularity of ethnobotanicals is still only really taking off in the uk now...
the knowledge of these kind of plants is not really that wide spread here but obviously they gain more and more popularity as the years pass by...

so since i can't grow pot anymore, this is why my main attention has diverted to cacti...
i just have to grow something to satisfy the green thumb urge, if nothing more :lol:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
    #9632520 - 01/18/09 03:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My interest started when I first started eating mushrooms. The feeling was so amazing but I could never find them. I have entries in my journal of drawings I made illustrating how to fruit a cake in a coke bottle lol. And I have lists in the same journal of all the possible ayahuasca combinations.

Then I grew pot cuz my folks were cool with it and I really discovered my love of growing ethnos. Nothing else in life inspires me quite as much as nurturing a healthy plant from seedling to maturity.

The first time I grew mushrooms was magical. Coming home and seeing them bigger than when I had left for work put the biggest smile on my face. My girlfriend always makes fun of me in a loving way.

This summer I might grow poppies (although I'm scared of addiction), rustica, and get some sally D cuttings.

It might sound less "authentic" that I don't grow non-ethnos, but that plant-mind connection really turns me on. Not in a "free drug" sense, but in a relationship of mutuality with nature.

I am interested in starting a flower garden this summer. That sounds spectacular to me. I would like to select flowers that blossom and different stages of the season so I always have flushes of color coming from my yard!

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

InvisibleKBG1977
    #9632552 - 01/18/09 03:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Great story man,yeah being as pot will pretty much always remain illegal,there are thousands of other plants that we can grow to keep our thumbs green:grin:I love growing my own fruits,and veggies most of all,well except for my small Cacti collection,but,it wont be small come spring,as I plan on getting a bunch more different types.I can't wait! I never knew about other intoxicating plants either,until years after smoking herbs for the first time,and moving out of my small Kentucky town To Arizona.Then I was introduced to a whole other world of hallucinogenic plants,and substances.It finally got kinda cold here,and I can't wait until the threat of frost is over,because I have a bunch of new ethenogenic seeds to plant,some of which I have never grown before.Really exciting stuff man:grin:

OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #9632950 - 01/18/09 04:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I started growing mushrooms, and then that branched to cacti, and then various other ethnos. Originally it was for consumption as far as mushies go but I've never eaten and will never eat one of my cacti or other wonderful plants.

--------------------

InvisibleJohnAdams
Born Green Thumb
Male

Loc: Anywhere but here
    #9632991 - 01/18/09 04:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have been growing, or helping grow plants as long as I can remember.  My mom loves to garden, and she always gave me my own little patch to grow whatever I wanted. She taught me everything I know today about growing...gotta love your mom :grin:I mostly grew ethnobotanicals like tomatoes, all sorts of vegetables, peppers, herbs, and fruit (nothing beats making your own lemonade out of homegrown lemons:yesnod:). I've never really been into growing anything that you couldn't use, but more and more I've been incorporating pretty flowers and plants to my garden. I started growing psychoactive plants when I quit smoking pot.
I tell you, there is just something special about a plant that can alter your mind.  Even if you don't ever use it, just knowing that they can create beauty inside your mind is just...something special.
I've always loved cacti, but never even thought about growing my own until recently...now, as you all know from experience, I am absolutely hooked!:thumbup:

--------------------
Solar System Necklace and MESCALINE NECKLACE Click here if you want one!

Edited by JohnAdams (03/19/09 04:36 PM)

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: JohnAdams]
    #9633135 - 01/18/09 05:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

said:
I tell you, there is just something special about a plant that can alter your mind.  Even if you don't ever use it, just knowing that they can create beauty inside your mind is just...something special.

:congrats:

ex-fucking-actly. Right on man.

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Edited by Ledd (03/23/09 01:10 PM)

Invisiblestinkybritches
"surprise!"
Male

Loc: NY
    #9633228 - 01/18/09 05:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I was always fascinated with plants as a kid. not in a wierd way. I just like the idea that I could grow something. My grandparents also own a plantation. I had to do work there at an early age.  Then, when I started smoking pot and doing drugs regularly, I realised that it doesnt make since fore me to pay for weed when it's so easy to grow. Cannabis was the first plant I had enough interest in to read books on . Then realised that the concept applied to all of my favorite drugs. And now since I have money to buy things horticulture mosty a hobby.

Offlinemeatspin
round right round
Female User Gallery

Loc: land of meat
Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: Ledd]
    #9633286 - 01/18/09 05:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ledbonzo86 said:
Quote:

Hackyhaze said:

:congrats:

ex-fucking-actly. Right on man.

Offlinespong

Loc: Australia
Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? *DELETED* [Re: meatspin]
    #9633509 - 01/18/09 06:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by spong

Reason for deletion: :smile:

--------------------

^^^The above post is entirely fictional.^^^

Offlinemeatspin
round right round
Female User Gallery

Loc: land of meat
Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: spong]
    #9633747 - 01/18/09 06:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i love my cacti. i used to be into bonsai, but i let them go to shit years ago. id like to get back into them now that i have the time to devote to them.

Offlinespong

Loc: Australia
Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? *DELETED* [Re: meatspin]
    #9633884 - 01/18/09 07:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by spong

Reason for deletion: :smile:

--------------------

^^^The above post is entirely fictional.^^^

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
Re: What Sparked Your Interest In Horticulture? [Re: spong]
    #9633970 - 01/18/09 07:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i used to collect cacti when I was a wee tike

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies