Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Loc: the dirty dirty
general computer help and umbuntu
    #9630005 - 01/18/09 03:43 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hey i need some general computer help

where i can learn about reformatting, installing other operation systems and such. just a place where i can learn about general computer shit

and also, i tried to load multiple disks of umbutu on my laptop and it never worked. any idea why?

--------------------
:partykid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: t00th]
    #9630607 - 01/18/09 07:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well it sounds to me like you could use a crash course in computer hardware basics.

If you have eMule, or a Torrent client then I'd suggest reading a book on the subject of A+. I think there is an A+ For Dummies (I'm not daring to imply anything by suggesting that book either.)

There are many answers to your questions because they are broad questions.

The easiest GNU/Linux distributions to install in my opinion is Fedora, Ubuntu, and Open SUSE.

when you tried installing multiple installations of Ubuntu you are probably using one primary partition.

Best Regards Man!

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #9630796 - 01/18/09 08:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm guessing u didn't change the boot order to boot off the CD drive - you need to get to the boot menu by pressing f10 or f8 or f12 (I think it's different for some) as the computer turns on, you'll see it flash up quickly something like "press f8 to enter boot menu" and just get CD rom to be the first boot choice

but yeah it sounds like you need to do some reading

however, installing ubuntu is pretty straightforward, it shrinks your windows partition for you after you select how much space you want to give ubuntu

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: Boom]
    #9634523 - 01/18/09 08:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

how did it not work, just saying it didn't is like asking why one can't get laid, the list of reasons can be very long.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Loc: the dirty dirty
Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: iateshaggy]
    #9646279 - 01/20/09 02:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ill try and load it again, and see what the error message is

and yes, a crash course on computer basics would be much welcomed. does anyone have any suggestions? i dont mind a little reading, i really want to learn all this shit. i have no problem trying to self teach myself both of it

--------------------
:partykid:

Offlinescriptflippin
Stranger

#9657775 - 01/22/09 10:01 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Don't study A+ that goes pretty deep it doesn't just scratch the surface.

I don't have any suggestions but I am A+, Network+ certified soon to be MSCE...Anyway, I'll be glad to help you. I run opensuse 10.3 but I ran Ubuntu 8.04 on my other computer for awhile so I am know enough to help you I would imagine.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: scriptflippin]
    #9660209 - 01/22/09 05:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scriptflippin said:
Don't study A+ that goes pretty deep it doesn't just scratch the surface.

a+ does not go that deep.  I took the practice test and got a 70 on it without ever studying a single bit.  The only part that got me was the IRQ port mapping, haven't had to mess with that stuff in my age, i did once on a 386, but had a manual right next to me...

peace

Offlinescriptflippin
Stranger

Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: supra]
    #9661489 - 01/22/09 08:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It doesn't go real deep but it goes beyond what he wants to learn I think. Now if you have the time to study it...By all means study it and get your A+ certification it isn't that difficult. You can get a nice job with just that as well.

Offlinerope

Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: scriptflippin]
    #9696243 - 01/28/09 07:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well man, if you want mupltiple OSs on your computer, say ubuntu and windows, you'd need at least 3 partitions. The easiest way would be 3 primary partitions, 1 for windows, one for linux (mount point of / or however you want to call it) and some swap space. The swap space only needs to be about twice the size of your ram. So if you have 512 mb ram, you'd want a 1Gb swap space. Anyways i'd install windows first, because the bootloader (grub/LILO) will give you the option to boot into either after you install linux.
So here, try this
-put windows cd in
-delete all partitions
-make one about half Hard drive space
-install windows to it as per usual
-now, put the linux cd in, it will usually give you a automatic set up which will work, so just put the cd in and follow its directions and install. it will make the swap space and all that for you with the left over hard drive space that windows isn't using. It can be that simple or it can be REALLY complicated. if you install linux then windows, it can be a little more complicated because windows would make the MBR(master boot record) only boot from windows, so you'd need to put your linux boot floppy in(who makes these?) and load linux, and add a command with something with a chainloader +1 and point to hda1 or wherever windows was isntalled. but never you mind that, might be a little over your head. long story short, install windows first.

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: general computer help and umbuntu [Re: rope]
    #9698672 - 01/29/09 06:23 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Be sure also if you setup automatic partitioning in Ubuntu it might create partitions for instance, /usr /var, etc...

/boot will need to be made first. Just use the default value that's presented to you when asked what size to make it.

Take the remaining disk and make certain to dedicate "X x 2" more disk space than you have RAM. (Unless you have like 32GB of RAM, just make SWP 1024. Otherwise if you have lower RAM, make the SWP size double.

The next partition should be /, which is the remainder of the disk.

Peace!

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order