Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

Where do instincts come from?
    #9624103 - 01/16/09 11:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

We all naturally know how to flee, fight, fuck, etc.. where does this knowledge come from? And how did that knowledge get there in the first place?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: Diaboleros]
    #9624376 - 01/17/09 12:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Jesus :etjesus:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleLakefingers

#9624809 - 01/17/09 02:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

psychologists usually say humans have no instincts, they have reflexes.

either way, they say the areas of the brain behind and below the frontal cortex. so, our parents, or-

if you do know where they come from in the brain, or which species of creature before us had these would it truly be an answer to the question?

InvisibleChronic7

#9624981 - 01/17/09 04:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Everything happens infront of our awareness, it sees everything including the subtlest instinct or tendency, the tendencies are like a continous stream of thought that pull our attention outward away from its source.

If you don't allow your attention to be pulled out & don't follow a tendency, you can see where it has come from, how it got there, what it means etc... but first you have to not follow it, as if you follow it then your absorbed into it & you can never truly understand something for what it truly is unless you stand back observe it neutrally.

Like you don't know your dreaming until you wake up, during the dream the attention is so absorbed into it & we don't question it, but when you wake up you can look & see what triggered the dream, latent memories, past tendencies, desires, fears etc...

:peace:

--------------------

InvisibleNlightNd1
∇Δ∇Δ∇Δ∇
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holographic Omniverse
    #9625153 - 01/17/09 06:40 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

DNA.  :dna: Personality studies conducted on identical twins, separated at birth, suggest that personality is almost entirely controlled by genetics. DNA also controls your instincts and your subconscious.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and floatdown stream. It is not dying. Lay down all thought, surrender to the void. It is shining.

:darkside: Pink Floyd :darkside:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: NlightNd1]
    #9625214 - 01/17/09 07:14 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Do you have any link to this study you're talking about?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#9625244 - 01/17/09 07:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Diaboleros said:
We all naturally know how to flee, fight, fuck, etc.. where does this knowledge come from? And how did that knowledge get there in the first place?

this is not knowledge.
and before we do any of these required natural responses
we need to learn to walk - then run - which are all found in play.
Play is a mind thing. anything can be tried together, repeating good combos and then more.

play and what we find in play is the basis of our inner encyclopedias.

what is found from play is not innate or instinctual at all.

(someone needs to watch kittens more often http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=en&q=cute%20kittens%20playing&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv# )

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleChronic7

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9625295 - 01/17/09 08:00 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

so no being has the natural instinct to have fun & play? :shrug:

watching young lion cubs & my sisters children i beg to differ...

when my sisters kids play they forget they are hungry, tired, sad about some bad news like  dead pet etc...so to play seems pretty instinctual to me as it can overide instincts like hunger & tiredness

we are taught to work & take life seriously later on
naturally & instinctually we are playful, that's how i see it

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: Chronic7]
    #9625381 - 01/17/09 09:01 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
Quote:

redgreenvines said:

so no being has the natural instinct to have fun & play? :shrug:

watching young lion cubs & my sisters children i beg to differ...

when my sisters kids play they forget they are hungry, tired, sad about some bad news like  dead pet etc...so to play seems pretty instinctual to me as it can overide instincts like hunger & tiredness

we are taught to work & take life seriously later on
naturally & instinctually we are playful, that's how i see it

i did not say "play" is not instinctual - (i said it is a mind thing, part of consciousness unfolding)
i distinctly said that all the things learned from play are not from instinct
i can easily see how you err'd.

anyway I am not laying down the law on this issue,
just trying to leave breadcrumbs for a natural (playful) discovery process

--------------------

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9625529 - 01/17/09 10:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

So your claim is, instincts do not exist, and that we just learn everything by "playing"? So we just learn to breath by playing?  If we would have to learn how to control all the systems and the organs in the body by "playing" we would be dead before we would get the hang of it.. right?

Quote:

NlightNd1 said:
DNA.  :dna: Personality studies conducted on identical twins, separated at birth, suggest that personality is almost entirely controlled by genetics. DNA also controls your instincts and your subconscious.

How about the second part of my question. How do they get into the DNA?

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#9625590 - 01/17/09 10:26 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Diaboleros said:

I think this is one of the most significant questions that mankind can ask.. way more important than 'how big is the universe' or 'what is the purpose of my life?' or even 'is there life on other planets?'

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9625602 - 01/17/09 10:31 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Why do you think that?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #9625658 - 01/17/09 10:46 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Because I think, of all the amazing things in life, there are some that are so many levels more complex than others.. with relation to dna.. and for an animal to have an instinct or dna memory, in my opinion, requires a more complex code than any other structure because, firstly, the brain is touted as the most complex organ. secondly, instincts are a whole series of states IN this most complex organ.
but this does not just include human instincts, but also bees or ants, all insects, arachnids, birds, fish, err.. etc.
given that these are the most complex and therefor the least likely, I think that in order to support evolution one must consider the answer to this question to be the ultimate sealant in affirming the belief - to understand how the most complex genetically programmed space-time interactions of life on earth developed

--------------------

OfflineAnxietyDrive
Aspiring Psychologist
Male

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: NlightNd1]
    #9625866 - 01/17/09 11:30 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NlightNd1 said:

I disagree.

Psychologists are in heated debate over how much genetics are actually involved in the expression of personality. It is generally agreed that it is 50% nature, and 50% nurture; we do not really know for sure. Hard scientists and behaviorists generally have a strong proclivity for reducing everything to heredity and heritable traits, while social cognitive and sociocultural theorists, tend to attribute certain traits as an interplay of both social interactions and early childhood development.

--------------------
No trees were harmed in the writing of this signature; however, millions of electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9625956 - 01/17/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
Quote:

Diaboleros said:

I think this is one of the most significant questions that mankind can ask.. way more important than 'how big is the universe' or 'what is the purpose of my life?' or even 'is there life on other planets?'

Far more important is the question of how we can overcome these instincts.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: AnxietyDrive]
    #9625983 - 01/17/09 11:53 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AnxietyDrive said:
Psychologists are in heated debate over how much genetics are actually involved in the expression of personality. It is generally agreed that it is 50% nature, and 50% nurture; we do not really know for sure. Hard scientists and behaviorists generally have a strong proclivity for reducing everything to heredity and heritable traits, while social cognitive and sociocultural theorists, tend to attribute certain traits as an interplay of both social interactions and early childhood development.

Actually, it's not as simple as that.  We now know that strands of DNA can be either active or dormant, and can be turned on or off by environmental influences.  Thus, one's biology can actually be determined by their environment.  So nature and nurture interact in ways that are too complex to simply attribute a certain percentage to one or the other.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: Silversoul]
    #9625995 - 01/17/09 11:57 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A reason why we'll never know with certitude.

--------------------

OfflineAnxietyDrive
Aspiring Psychologist
Male

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: Silversoul]
    #9626039 - 01/17/09 12:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

AnxietyDrive said:

Actually, it's not as simple as that.  We now know that strands of DNA can be either active or dormant, and can be turned on or off by environmental influences.  Thus, one's biology can actually be determined by their environment.  So nature and nurture interact in ways that are too complex to simply attribute a certain percentage to one or the other.

Right, Right, i agree. I am just expressing the fact that this is all we have work with at the present time. In the expression idea of genes, the notion that they can be switched on or off by the environment was furthered in psychology by epigenetic theory.

--------------------
No trees were harmed in the writing of this signature; however, millions of electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Edited by AnxietyDrive (01/17/09 02:49 PM)

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

Re: Where do instincts come from? [Re: AnxietyDrive]
    #9626054 - 01/17/09 12:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, so let's assume instincts are encoded into the DNA.. How did they get encoded into the DNA in the first place?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#9626084 - 01/17/09 12:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Diaboleros said:
Quote:

redgreenvines said:

So your claim is, instincts do not exist, and that we just learn everything by "playing"? So we just learn to breath by playing?  If we would have to learn how to control all the systems and the organs in the body by "playing" we would be dead before we would get the hang of it.. right?

Quote:

NlightNd1 said:

How about the second part of my question. How do they get into the DNA?

the breathing reflex is not learned. and it is a way simpler routine than instinct is supposed to be.
I am offering the little gem that instinct is just an overused  bag word for something that is glossed over - underanalysed: essentially play based learning.

another bag word for a bunch of stuff that is underanalysed, is the term subconscious - people use it as if it has a physical location (same as with instinct) but really it is simply memory in relation to the stream of consciousness.
we can refer to play as the body and the surrounding world in relation to the stream of consciousness. Play and Subconscious both (and one ought to include 'instinct') do not have a single organ (like the pineal or the hippo campus, or the thalamus) governing them except for the whole mind body system operating together.

as for DNA and personality, you must watch play and memory formation to understand what is happening.
watch how the big boned person plays and develops big boned character, watch how the button nosed cutie pie plays and develops character.

DNA (genotype) plays it's part in coding for developmental physique potential or phenotype, that's it, the rest comes from play, and how the features play out in life.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom