Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions
    #9616645 - 01/15/09 06:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've scoured the boards and haven't found my answer so I'm going to post - excuse me if I missed a post with the answer.

My glovebox idea didn't work out as attempting to cut holes in a clear rubbermaid just resulted in cracking and shattering sharp holes. so, I used another smaller clear rubbermaid, lysol'd the shit out of it, and worked in there in open air, in a small corner of a room, that I also lysol'd the shit out of, and moved everything else at least 10 feet away, barely moved around, used a fresh cover all on top of freshly laundered clothes, and a sterile mask. and sterile gloves, phew.

I have two layers of tyvek over top of the metal lid with three small holes. Jars came directly out of unopened PC cooled over night in sterile room. Problem #1 is - the needle didn't fit through the holes. After opening the bags and putting the needle on I flamed for a few second and went straight in, but had to wiggle around to get it in - worried that might of caused problems. Jars then went straight into extremely clean cooler incubator, with heat blanket on the inside wall. That had also been lysol'd to death previously. I inoculated as quickly as humanly possible and placed the jars into the cooler (without taping the holes or covering with foil) and closed the lid of the cooler.

Now its a waiting game - but I'm wondering if either of the hole size or non-taping will become an issue. On the up side - its only two jars, as thats all that fits in the PC at one time. I'm doing another two which I have modified the holes under the tyvek, and thinking of taping the injection site one with a band aid, and then compare the two batches. Also shook the jars a little just after throwing into incubator to spread spores around. and put about 1.5cc in each 1 litre jar for good measure.

I will have to open the cooler again to put the other jars in, and to check that the temp is ok, but plan to keep it closed for the most part. and will lysol the area and wait a while each time before opening, also wearing a mask and minimizing anything that might go in.

Think I did everything right. Any thoughts? critiques?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: shroombab]
    #9616735 - 01/15/09 06:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroombab said:
that I also lysol'd the shit out of

You paint a picture :hehehe:

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9616759 - 01/15/09 06:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Lysol is a surface disinfect and doesn't do squat for the air, which is what you need to be worried about.  If you can't cut holes in the plastic tote, simply lay the tub on its side and cut a piece of plastic sheeting to cover the opening, and you can easily cut arm holes in that.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9616780 - 01/15/09 06:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Let me add that I wiped, then cleaned, then disinfected, then lysol wiped, and then sprayed lysol, onto everything, and the entire area, ah I did the best I could with what I had to work with. The glove box situation can easily be rectified by tomorrow, I'm wondering about the hole covering (or not) and the issue with having to wiggle the needles in through the holes.

RR I used your instructions by the way. Everything except the glovebox part which failed miserably. Incidentally, how do you cut holes in plastic without it shattering?

: )

OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: shroombab]
    #9616818 - 01/15/09 07:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroombab said:
Let me add that I wiped, then cleaned, then disinfected, then lysol wiped, and then sprayed lysol, onto everything, and the entire area, ah I did the best I could with what I had to work with. The glove box situation can easily be rectified by tomorrow, I'm wondering about the hole covering (or not) and the issue with having to wiggle the needles in through the holes.

RR I used your instructions by the way. Everything except the glovebox part which failed miserably. Incidentally, how do you cut holes in plastic without it shattering?

I said hell with being gentle after about 20 minutes of delicate work caused it to crack. I just stabbed the heck out of it and taped up all the cracks.

On a side not, I thought the purpose of a glove box was not sterile air, just not moving air?

--------------------
Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
    #9616826 - 01/15/09 07:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I know I know!!! :gameover:

Get a bumper size can of tomatos/whatever, eat the contents and then heat the rim of the can on your stove and proceed to burn a perfect circular hole in your box :smile:

I deserve a gold star I think :smile:

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9616861 - 01/15/09 07:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking about that....gold star fo sho

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9616877 - 01/15/09 07:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroombab said:
Incidentally, how do you cut holes in plastic without it shattering?

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9616897 - 01/15/09 07:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

RR - why are you so smart?

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#9618550 - 01/15/09 11:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hmm, just did the 2nd two jars. this time, put the foil back on and straight into the incubator, although when I checked the temp it was 93F oops. I guess this is going to be a trial and error despite my 5+ years of reading on the subject. at least its only 4 jars.
oh and I took two needles out of their bags and forgot which one was which. dum dum.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9619004 - 01/16/09 01:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You don't need an incubator, and I would recommend taping the holes (micropore) and not using the foil as it doesn't allow for much GE which is pretty important to your colonization.

Also the coffee can thing was just amazing. I've also used a hole saw but sometimes they will crack plastic, if you use cheapo plastic tubs and have a hole saw, run it backwards. :wink:

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9619067 - 01/16/09 01:59 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroombab said:
RR - why are you so smart?

<yoda> When 900 years you grow, make n00b mistakes you will not, hmmm </yoda> :wink:

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflinePandeist
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain Jar injection holes and open air inoculation questions [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9619100 - 01/16/09 02:09 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Don't forget tothe fuck out of the air as well.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags