Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Moderate consumption of alcohol?
    #9613891 - 01/15/09 11:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So it seems that moderate consumption of alcohol is actually fairly healthy--it's good for the cardiovascular system, it decreases one's risk for dementia including Alzheimer's disease, it helps prevent diabetes, gallstones, and kidney stones and arthritis, and moderate drinkers have increased rates of longevity as compared to both heavy drinkers and teetotallers.

Now, moderate consumption is ill-defined, but most studies that I have read suggest around 2 drinks a day for men, and lower for women.  I personally quite enjoy indulging in booze, so I'd be happy if I could indeed promote my health and get a nice buzz by drinking a couple beers a day, so my question is primarily a.) whether there are any other negative consequences from consuming a reasonably daily amount of alcohol, and b.) whether drinking a couple drinks a day would boost my tolerance sufficiently that I would no longer achieve a decent buzz anymore?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Moderate consumption of alcohol? [Re: deCypher]
    #9614955 - 01/15/09 02:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard that drinking 2 or 3 beers a day is equivalent to drinking a glass of wine a day, which holds the benefit of a huge amount of anti-oxidants that help the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, brain, and more.*

http://web4health.info/en/answers/add-alcohol-goodbad.htm

*http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=111230

--------------------
-=-Never Sigh For Better World
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Science gives a consistent how with an incomplete why.
Faith gives an inconsistent how with a complete why.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: Moderate consumption of alcohol? [Re: DarkMoon21]
    #9615488 - 01/15/09 03:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm on the fence with this. All I know is that the less I drink, and I was one of those a couple of drinks a day people for the past 4 or so years, the less I like it's effects and the more that it does effect me.

I haven't drank in a week and I had a little sake last night. While I loved the flavor, the dullness and pressure in my head I could do without.

I think that you pretty much have to drink the moderate amount almost daily if you want the medicinal benefits, and I'm just not there right now.

But it was a good ride. :cool:

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

InvisibleChiefGreenLeaf

#9616234 - 01/15/09 05:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm all for red wine and some unfiltered wheat beer. It is very healthy. The beer has B vitamins and protein. Wine has more antioxidants. Both have alcohol. The thing with alcohol is that it basically becomes yeast food so it becomes unhealthy for people already suffering gut floral problems.

6 pack good beer
3 glasses of wine
maybe a couple times a week, with meat

Alcohol is good because it increases GABA activity in the brain. This makes the pituitary pump out the human growth hormone. Not to mention GABA is a neuronal stabilizer.:tongue2:

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #9616789 - 01/15/09 07:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm curious about this as well. I think we have to remember that alcohol is physically addictive, plus the feeling of being intoxicated is psychologically addictive. This alone makes me not want to take it everyday.

I'm also doubtful about the extent of the health benefits it has. I know red wine has anti oxidants in it, which are beneficial. But it also has chemicals in it which are harmful. Alcohol has been associated with increased risk of a number of different illness.

I personally feel its not a good idea to take any strong mind altering drug on a daily basis.

Edited by DimensionX (01/15/09 07:06 PM)

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: Moderate consumption of alcohol? [Re: DimensionX]
    #9616931 - 01/15/09 07:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

And another thing to consider with this and ALL studies done are they are generally conducted on the typical person. I have FAR from a typical diet. For some people, a good wheat beer might be the only plant life they get all day, same with wine.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
Re: Moderate consumption of alcohol? [Re: whattheheck]
    #9617196 - 01/15/09 07:54 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i don't know about you all, but after one or two drinks i feel like absolute crap, unless more is consumed.  it'd be ok at night before bed, but i can't stand how it fucks with my thought process and emotions afterwords.

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#9617737 - 01/15/09 09:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

From what I've read, red wine is healthy due to the antioxidants.  But apparently these antioxidants aren't present in most red wine, because most red wine is filtered (and I have no idea how to find out which red wines aren't filtered).  On top of this, the antioxidants are destroyed with 24 hours of opening the bottle.

So you have to somehow find out which red wine is unfiltered, and then only the first glass will have antioxidants because you are only drinking one glass a night.

I know the alcohol relaxing effect can help if you are high strung, but the antioxidant effects from red wine seem difficult to benefit from.

I personally don't allow myself a drink every night because I like alcohol a bit too much, don't want to be feeding a dependence, and I rarely can have just one glass.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale