Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK]
    #9612385 - 01/15/09 12:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice
January 15, 2009 - independent.co.uk

Government advisory panel ranks class C drug as more harmful than Ecstasy

The horse tranquilliser ketamine is increasingly replacing cocaine as the substance of choice among Britain's recreational drug users, according to charities and experts.

Use of the drug, known as "Special K" or "Raver's Smack", was found to be on the rise in nine out of 20 areas surveyed by the charity DrugScope. The British Crime Survey shows that use of the drug last year increased nationally by 10 per cent on 2006-07.

Once seen as a drug exclusively for the rave and dance scene, its popularity is now growing among Britain's middle-class users due to its price – a gram of ketamine costs £20, half as much as the same amount of cocaine – and the fact that it is seen as a "safe" and "clean" drug.

However, a survey carried out by Professor David Nutt, the chairman of the Government's drug advisory panel, ranks the class C drug as the sixth most dangerous illegal drug available – more harmful than Ecstasy and cannabis. The mistaken belief that the substance is risk-free is encouraging more young people to try ketamine and to take it in increasingly higher doses.

But experts say that it can cause heart or lung failure and point to the fact that it has been linked to 23 deaths between 1993 and 2006. In 2006 it was classified as a class C drug.

Martin Barnes, chief executive of DrugScope, said: "There is worrying evidence that people are experimenting with larger amounts or are even injecting the drug. Evidence of young people using ketamine is a particular concern, especially as many users may underestimate the risks involved."

The popularity of the drug, which can be snorted, swallowed, injected and even smoked, has grown from an estimated 60,000 users between 1998 and 2000 to about 113,000 in 2008. At last year's Glastonbury festival, police seized double the amount of ketamine than they did at the 2007 event.

The DrugScope survey shows that use of drug is increasing in Portsmouth, London, Bristol, Ipswich, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, Blackpool and Newcastle. And police forces in many of these areas say they are aware of the increased prevalence of the drug. Its popularity is illustrated on the internet, with some users posting videos of themselves, high on the substance, on the video-sharing website YouTube.

Mr Barnes added: "It is becoming very popular and it's a drug that a lot of people are talking about. The very fact that the price is falling shows how popular it is becoming. Three years ago, when we started this study, it was selling for about £30 a gram, now it is £20."

He added: "The fall in price does suggest that the people who are selling the stuff have no problems getting hold of it."

What is ketamine?

Originally used to treat injured soldiers in Vietnam, ketamine is most commonly used now as a horse tranquilliser. It has also been experimented with to treat depression and alcohol and heroin addiction. It was classified as an illegal drug in 2006 by the UK Government. It is usually sold in powder or liquid form for about £20 per gram. Unlike cocaine and heroin, it is not physically addictive, but, like cannabis and Ecstasy, it is psychologically addictive.

User's view: 'You forget about your normal life'

David first tried ketamine as a 20-year-old student at university in London. Now a 27-year-old marketing executive, living in Shoreditch, east London, he still takes the drug once a month. "I see it as a fun, sociable drug," he said. "I do it at house parties or if I'm having a big night out. I used to do cocaine, but I suppose I gradually replaced coke with ket. Coke is much more expensive and it generally makes everyone very loud and aggressive. Ket is different. It costs less and you use it in smaller quantities so it lasts a lot longer. The feeling you get is different too. It makes you feel anaesthetised to your worries. You forget about your normal life and everything is euphoric. Sometimes I've had bad trips, but I've never felt angry when on ketamine. I think it is a lot safer too. I've read it can have long-term effects on your health, but it doesn't seem as dangerous as cocaine. When on coke I used to feel my heart pounding and it didn't feel right. The other reason I changed is because of the classification. I've got a proper job and a career and I don't want to lose that. Ketamine is a class C drug so if I get caught I'm probably only going to get a slap on the wrist."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #9612931 - 01/15/09 05:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Raver's Smack :rotfl: never heard that 1 before

Offlinemycoharry
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: Ego Death]
    #9613044 - 01/15/09 06:20 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

id take molly over K any day:crazy2:

--------------------
we create realitys in our minds based on our own experiences, rather than fact. my experiences in life have been insane, so in reality i am in fact, INSANE...
-ME

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: mycoharry]
    #9613325 - 01/15/09 08:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So let me get this straight...they are complaining about people taking special K because the government has cracked down on E? Who's fault is that i wonder...

when are the authorities going to realize that if you make a drug less available, people are going to get high on more dangerous shit? Case in point: Get rid of weed, people start doing meth. Get rid of meth, people start huffing glue...

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisibleAloneInKyoto27
miketa

Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #9613364 - 01/15/09 08:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:specialk:  :etbig:

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Loc: groin
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: AloneInKyoto27]
    #9613391 - 01/15/09 08:40 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I gotta try that shit.

--------------------
Multiplied

InvisibleAloneInKyoto27
miketa

Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: Dickhead]
    #9613416 - 01/15/09 08:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It's pretty much the best thing on the face of the planet.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: AloneInKyoto27]
    #9613476 - 01/15/09 09:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AloneInKyoto27 said:
It's pretty much the best thing on the face of the planet.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9615012 - 01/15/09 02:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

the sixth most dangerous illegal drug available – more harmful than Ecstasy and cannabis.

MORE HARMFUL THAN ECSTACY AND CANNABIS!?!?

Quote:

it has been linked to 23 deaths between 1993 and 2006

Yep, more dangerous than both those.

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: Irieforester]
    #19538437 - 02/08/14 07:46 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Irieforester said:
Quote:

the sixth most dangerous illegal drug available – more harmful than Ecstasy and cannabis.

MORE HARMFUL THAN ECSTACY AND CANNABIS!?!?

Quote:

it has been linked to 23 deaths between 1993 and 2006

Yep, more dangerous than both those.

I know, it's just silly. It's like saying "More harmful than caffeine." or "more harmful than water." None of these drugs kill anyone, probably more people DO die due to water intoxication.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: XTCentral]
    #19539248 - 02/08/14 11:25 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Fucking necrobumps....

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19541667 - 02/08/14 09:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

The popularity of the drug, which can be snorted, swallowed, injected and even smoked
------

You can smoke K?

OfflineSoundScape
Gutter-Rat Rag
Male

Loc: Cleveland Ohio
Re: Ketamine tops cocaine as new drug of choice [UK] [Re: my3rdeye]
    #19541757 - 02/08/14 09:25 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck man, there sure isn't any baby food in my area so I'm jealous. All these dumbasses here are still eating 25i blotters and railing methylone or whatever thinking they got good pure shit. My peers are a bit slow to the game I guess.

--------------------
.....And this is my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MDS13Droog

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals