Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepownasaurus
destroyer of worlds
 User Gallery

An interesting observation on cold areas and pinset in my grow!! Could prevent uneven pinsets!.
    #9606727 - 01/14/09 08:41 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have made observations that as far as I've read haven't been mentioned by anyone else yet. Yes we all know that a lowered temp is a pinning trigger. But I have seen direct evidence that making sure the entire casing receives the exact same temperature will result in a more even pinset.

I have 3 casings in a poormans pod fruiting chamber (rubbermaid with airpump and stuff). The casings are shit/straw with a top layer of peat moss/verm/oyster shell. The shit/straw was fully colonized with amazonian strain mycellium prior to introduction to the fruiting chamber.

The temperature in the poormans was at 80F. About 4 days ago I started cycling frozen bottles of water into the pod and this lowered the temperature to about 70F. 2 days later they started to pin.

Once I noticed a few pins (2 days ago) I removed the frozen water bottles. I figured that the lower temp had initiated pinning, and that the casings were now in pining mode and further cold would not be required. I let the temperature drift back to the room temp of 80F. The pins continued to grow, eventually I counted 40 pins across the 3 casings BUT THE PINS ONLY APPEARED IN THE 2 AREAS DIRECTLY SURROUNDING WHERE I ONCE KEPT THE ICE BOTTLE. The areas far from where I had the frozen bottle showed no pins.

So a few hours ago I put a frozen water bottle back in the pod. But this time I put the frozen water bottle beside the area on the 3 casings where there was no growth: Before the bottle was either in the northwest corner, or right in the middle of the north side, and thats where the pins were closest to in the 3 casings, so this time I put the ice bottle in the southeast corner closest to where there was no pins.

Now there are pins near the newly located ice bottle in the southeast corner. There used to be no pins in that corner, while there were loads of pins in the northwestish side where the ice bottle used to sit.

This could be just a coincidence, that the pins would have appeared there today regardless of the new bottle I put down, but I don't think so.

To me this observation suggests that one should maintain an even cooler temperature across the entire casing while triggering pinning. That if one half of your casing was cold, while the other half was warmer, the half that was warm all along wont pin as well if at all.

It suggests that an aspect of uneven pinset could be uneven temperature. So if you have one side of your casing close to the air conditioner or cold water bottle or whatever you're using to lower the temp for pinning, rotate that casing, so that all sides may experience the exact same temperature. Or if you are using a heater to keep things from getting too cold in your fruiting chamber, make sure all parts of your casing get to spend an equal amount of time in the colder area.

So for an even pinset, make sure your entire casing experiences the same temperature, if one half gets more cold then the other half you will have an uneven pinset.

So what do you think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: An interesting observation on cold areas and pinset in my grow!! Could prevent uneven pinsets!. [Re: pownasaurus]
    #9606824 - 01/14/09 09:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Yes we all know that a lowered temp is a pinning trigger

That's news to me, if you're talking about cubensis.  After hundreds of trials, I've never seen any correlation of pinning to temperature other than cooler temps tend to stall pinning somewhat.  It sounds like your tray was just pinning from one end to the other, which is common.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemonkeyswithguns
Stranger

Re: An interesting observation on cold areas and pinset in my grow!! Could prevent uneven pinsets!. [Re: pownasaurus]
    #9606827 - 01/14/09 09:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Now we just need someone willing to experiment and use a control and some scientific method to determine if it's a case of luck, or if there is a correlation.

I'm brand new to this "hobby", but I love the fact that it's possible to find out new things and discover new techniques, that not everything is known already and "set in stone" so to speak.

Offlinepownasaurus
destroyer of worlds
 User Gallery

Re: An interesting observation on cold areas and pinset in my grow!! Could prevent uneven pinsets!. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9606855 - 01/14/09 09:16 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Lol, I expected you to pop in and say that, and I'm glad you did. I've seen you all over this board fighting the notion of cold temperature helping cubensis. You've made a lot of good points. You may be right about it being a coincidence that has nothing to do with the colder temp.

Cold temp being of benefit is very hard to prove, so many different factors in cultivation that could effect growing. One can observe faster pinset when they lower temp and assume the pinset was due to the lower temp, when it could have been any random factor.

However it makes sense to me that a slight reduction in temp could be a pinning trigger. Yes I know that cubensis is a tropical species, but even warm places like florida can get cold overnight. And perhaps cubensis evolved from a shroom that grew in areas that had a colder winter like the edible species do. Perhaps cubensis still has the 'pin before winter sets in' instinct from some ancient ancestor, much as we humans still have an appendix. Know what I'm saying?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9606868 - 01/14/09 09:19 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Perhaps cubensis still has the 'pin before winter sets in' instinct from some ancient ancestor,

Which wouldn't explain why it fruits from spring through summer and into late fall.  The cold water bottle may have lowered the temperature to the dewpoint, thus raising the humidity, which IS a major pinning trigger.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepownasaurus
destroyer of worlds
 User Gallery

#9606882 - 01/14/09 09:23 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

good point on the dewpoint roger rabbit, that makes a lot of sense.

Just like I said "One can observe faster pinset when they lower temp and assume the pinset was due to the lower temp, when it could have been any random factor."

I guess this "random factor" could have been humidity.

Does cold help or does it not, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#9606898 - 01/14/09 09:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm of the opinion that temperature doesn't matter, but I was thinking of why you might have seen that other than the most likely possibility being that it was just coincidence.
I'm not sure what your set up is, but I was thinking that maybe when you placed the ice bottles in there, they collected condensation, and the condensation dripped down pooling up under the water bottles. Maybe this water was evaporating in those areas causing the humidity to be slightly higher in those corners? was your RH already 99 percent? Maybe your RH is a bit low, and those areas are experiencing slightly higher humidity from the evaporating water, I don't know.

Another possibility is this: We also know that evaporation is a big pinning trigger. Maybe the water bottles are acting as a de-humidifier (by collecting moisture through condensation) and evaporating those areas a bit causing them to pin, and once the water bottles warm back up, the humidity evens out again.

Or it could be pure coincidence.

Edited by phaseflux (01/14/09 09:30 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom