Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSentient#6
Servant of the Gods
Male

Philosophy of the Immortal
    #9590562 - 01/11/09 05:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Assuming Earth Mother doesn't shit on us anytime soon, or nuclear/laser holocaust doesn't happen, bio-mechanics/gene manipulation should make immortality a reality...

...Immortal enough anyway, living to be the ripe ole age of 300 or what have you.

How would not growing old change you?

Would your outlook on relationships change? Even the most helpless hopeless romantic would shiver at the thought of trying to make the spark of love last with the same person for 300 years.

What would you do if time had no effect on your health?

--------------------
Last night I was honored with the Nobel Prize in theoretical physics. This worldwide recognition has given me the opportunity to bring hope to a war-ravaged world. I vowed to myself I would work like a dog at this. But now, it's 10:30 in the morning and I'm just getting out of bed. I did get up earlier around 8:00am, but I just lied in bed for a while, and then...jerked off. I've got to stop masturbating, it makes me too lazy. Stop it Albert...stop it.

~Albert Einstein.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: Sentient#6]
    #9590610 - 01/11/09 05:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I imagine it would make people a lot more cautious as they would have a lot more to lose.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offlinemilkman
DeliveringWorldWide
Male User Gallery

Loc: tha FLA
Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: deCypher]
    #9590613 - 01/11/09 05:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

id live the same i guess enjoy it 3 times as long though huh :smile:

Offlinefigmentfragment
leaving shroomery

Loc: Flag
    #9590662 - 01/11/09 05:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Such a waste, she had her whole life ahead of her, she was only 157...a mere child.

:lol:

--------------------
Goodbye Shroomery.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #9591612 - 01/11/09 08:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I imagine people would take a more long-term view in terms of their actions.  No longer would environmentalists have to appeal to people's concern for their "children's children."  Rather, people would live long enough to see the consequences of their actions.  I think that might bring about a great shift in consciousness for the world.

As for me, I'm not sure I'd want total immortality.  1,000 years would probably do it for me.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: Silversoul]
    #9592140 - 01/11/09 10:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If the possibility of human immortality were actually, well, actualized, then the current paradigm and society would completely crumble, and I actually think it could mean the end of mankind.

What if one was brutally slain, would they still remain alive according to what you see immortality as? Or are you just speaking of the possibility of humans being able to be immortal so long as their bodies are intact?

Hopefully I made sense....

InvisibleSentient#6
Servant of the Gods
Male

Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: Poid]
    #9592338 - 01/11/09 10:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm talking about the kind of immortality that isen't too far from becoming a reality.

Never growing old, and immune to almost all diseases.

Scientists have already doubled or tripled the life of worms/rats/some other animals by manipulating a certain gene that controls natural defense against free radicals.

I'm sure you'd get plenty of opportunities to sacrifice your life for something you believed was larger than yourself if you lived for 1,000 years.

--------------------
Last night I was honored with the Nobel Prize in theoretical physics. This worldwide recognition has given me the opportunity to bring hope to a war-ravaged world. I vowed to myself I would work like a dog at this. But now, it's 10:30 in the morning and I'm just getting out of bed. I did get up earlier around 8:00am, but I just lied in bed for a while, and then...jerked off. I've got to stop masturbating, it makes me too lazy. Stop it Albert...stop it.

~Albert Einstein.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9592537 - 01/11/09 11:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So being brutally slain would be a possibility in this form of immortality?

Doesn't sound like any sort of immortality I'd like to be a part of....

OfflineCyric
Master of Time and Space
Male

Loc: Outer Shpongolia
Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: Poid]
    #9595457 - 01/12/09 03:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Deep space exploration! I want cyborg parts! And a neural network interface so I can communicate with computers.

InvisibleSentient#6
Servant of the Gods
Male

Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: Cyric]
    #9595563 - 01/12/09 03:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeh, all this unpredictable technology heading our way makes me paranoid though. Whats keeping the AI from enslaving us. Couldn't an advanced computer manipulate us just as easy as we manipulate it? If we're all integrated through cybernetics n such...

--------------------

~Albert Einstein.

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

#9595701 - 01/12/09 03:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Long life and infinite life (immortality) won't bring about the same philosophical concerns.  A person could have a life-span of 999,999,999 years, and would still feel existential anxiety and attempt to fill the existential vacuum by building their kingdom up, amassing wealth, health, and everything else we hope will be permanent.  They might put off worrying about death for a while, but I think people would live the same.  Economic philosophies would continue to entice people into staying peasants, just on a much larger scale.

If you said "Infinite", I think that the new game would eventually become finding a way to destroy yourself.  The Freudian pleasure principle works in the face of death.  The death instinct would probably kick-in in the face of life.  You would become bored of most/all pleasures, as creatures usually acclimate to their level of wealth/pleasure quickly.

:shrug:

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Philosophy of the Immortal [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #9598867 - 01/13/09 12:05 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

....like I said, this society/paradigm would crumble, and some those reasons you gave above are a big part of the reason why...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag