Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
Mycelium metabolism questions
    #9578580 - 01/09/09 06:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey everybody. I was just thinking today about the diverse substrates we use and how some are very easy to break down (coir), and some are a bitch to break down (grains).

So, my question is, when a mycelium gets a hold of a substrate it can break down really fast, does it somehow store the energy or does it immediately use it all up for the mushrooms?

Or, does it limit how much it "eats" to how much it needs???

Just wondering.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mycelium metabolism questions [Re: Synesthetic]
    #9579201 - 01/09/09 07:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I was just thinking today about the diverse substrates we use and how some are very easy to break down (coir), and some are a bitch to break down (grains).

Where did you come up with that?

Grains are extremely nutritious food for fungi, and no coir, manure, straw, etc., is going to have more food than grains.  That's why the others are called 'bulk substrates'. It's because you need to use a LOT more of them to get the same bang you'd get from grains.

Mycelium does not 'use' energy for mushrooms.  Mushrooms are 100% composed of mycelium and are simply the 'sexual organ' of the mycelium, which is the actual organism.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycelium metabolism questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9579654 - 01/09/09 08:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think he meant physically broken down IE grains are hard, coir (not bricks) is soft. Then I would venture to say that he has never tried to 'break down' a soaked/simmered grain because it smashes quite readily.

Your last comment just made me think of the PE cubes...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract