Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
I have no idea what this is - can anyone id?
    #956598 - 10/13/02 08:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Found this yesterday growing in grass, near birches. It has a thick stem in relation to the cap and stains red when cut in half. The spore print is very light brown. Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: I have no idea what this is - can anyone id? [Re: Purple_Voyage]
    #956700 - 10/13/02 10:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent photos and great habitat description.

Was there dead confier wood or madrone where it was growing?

It looks like Paxillus atrotomentosus.

In the second photo, note the gills are decurrent, strongly forked and intervein near the stem to form some pores (almost like it wants to be a bolete). This immediately suggests Paxillus. The strongly inrolled margin on the cap is also typical of this genus. The extremely hairy stem is unusual for most mushrooms, but typical of P. atrotomentosus. This photo shows the hairy stem well. Your specimen looks to be very young.

This species is suspected of being poisonous, so you should not eat it. It is a close relative of Paxillus involutus which has caused fatalities.

An interesting find.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
Re: I have no idea what this is - can anyone id? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #956825 - 10/13/02 12:04 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks ToxicMan  :smile:, I think your right about it being a Paxillus, I've just looked it up in my field guide and it looks more like Paxillus involutus (the picture in my book shows the same red bruisung).  A very young speciman as you say.  I don't think I saw any dead wood near by and their was certainly no Madrone.

--------------------

OfflineSaltyBasket
Vorticists'Suite

Loc: South Dakota
Re: I have no idea what this is - can anyone id? [Re: Purple_Voyage]
    #958071 - 10/13/02 08:44 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

Yeah, a mushroom

--------------------
Everything you will ever love will reject you or die.
Everything you will ever create will be thrown away.
Everything you're proud of will end up as trash.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract