Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblestuey
Stranger

my first casing attempt? ok?
    #9563622 - 01/07/09 10:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

so yesterday i made my first casing for my mono tubs. i used 15 cups of vermiculit, 15 cups of peat moss( picked out the big chunks), an 1 cup of hydrated lime. my local pet store was out of oyster shell at the time but i will plan to use it next time. i mixed all three in a pillow case an submerged in a pot of water for an hour at 160 degrees( pasturized). let it cool for a few hours. took the plastic off my substrate an poured enough in so that it is an even layer about an inch above the sub. it seemed like my substrate shrunk around the edges so i used more casing there to fill in the gaps to the wall of my tub. so rite now it looks like a tub full of an even layer of dirt. hows it sound

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskiihigh
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: my first casing attempt? ok? [Re: stuey]
    #9563773 - 01/07/09 11:02 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

how moist are you keeping your casing, you dont want it to be dry.

--------------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
      -Jimi Hendrix

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL

Most Outrageous Thread Ive Ever Hijacked---http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9613658/an/0/page/0

Offlinetomaquinas539
Stranger

Re: my first casing attempt? ok? [Re: skiihigh]
    #9564349 - 01/07/09 12:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

that sounds like too much lime.  it should be about 1 teasp for each cup of peat.  if you can check ph
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Actually, mushroom mycelium prefers an acid pH.  The problem is that trichoderma also prefers an acid pH, thus we raise the pH of our casing layers, because as said above, the mushroom mycelium is more tolerant.

If you don't have a way of measuring pH, simply use 1 teaspoon of hydrated lime per cup of peatmoss in your casing.  That will get you in the ballpark of pH 8.  If you have test strips or a good meter, you can take it to 8.5 if you want, but be sure to measure it an hour after adding the lime.  The pH will swing WAY high during the first half hour, and then come back down and stabilize.
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix