Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefr33d0mfry
Ghettorig Guru
Male User Gallery

For the record, EVERYONE should read this
    #9551239 - 01/05/09 01:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A lot of you already know this, but some still do not.

Condensation is NOT, i repeat; is NOT an indicator of Humidity.
Condensation on the sides of your chamber simply means that the sides of your FC are cooler than the water vapor inside the chamber.

Copied and Pasted:

"Water vapor that naturally condenses on cold surfaces into liquid water is called dew. Water vapor will only condense onto another surface when the temperature of that surface is cooler than the temperature of the water vapor. The water molecule brings a parcel of heat with it. In order to have condensed, the molecule tranfers its kinetic energy to the atmosphere. When water vapor condenses into liquid water, the hydrogen bonds form again and release latent heat, which increases the sensible heat and causes the air temperature to rise. Sensible heat is removed from the air and the temperature drops when evaporation is occurring and latent heat is converted to sensible heat and the temperature rises when condensation occurs."

I think the above quote should be put in a sticky on here, its all too common for people to believe condensation is a direct gauge of humidity.

EDIT: I should say, I'm not even close to the first person to point this out on the boards, though usually when it does get pointed out it's in the middle of some random thread that 90% of people don't even see. I point it out once again only for the sake of the people who are still misinformed or mistaken about condensation, and in hopes that the quote i posted goes in a sticky on this board.
By the way, the quote was taken from wikipedia, which I understand is notorious for misinformation, but the quote in my above post is 100% spot on for sure.

--------------------
I am the first person to admit that I'm wrong about something, If I post anything misinforming or misleading, do not hesitate to call me out on it. IF I'm actually wrong, that is. I usually wont post something unless i know it to be 100% true, but mistakes happen.
If you try to tell me i'm wrong about something im positive of, i will argue with you until you stop breathing.

Edited by fr33d0mfry (01/05/09 02:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: fr33d0mfry]
    #9551606 - 01/05/09 02:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything but condensation is a great way to "Eye" humidity levels.

Correct me if I am wrong but Mycelium produces it's own heat. Heat rises carrying water vapor in your terrarium above your substrate. Then once the vapor is saturated it produces water dropplets running down the sides of your terrarium. How is that not an indicator of humidity?

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Edited by Jitsu (01/05/09 03:01 PM)

Offlinescubabuddha
friend of a friend of a friend
Male

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: Jitsu]
    #9551621 - 01/05/09 02:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jitsu said:
I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything but condensation is a great way to "Eye" humidity levels.

did you read any of that?

condensation tells you two things:
1. there is SOME AMOUNT of water vapor in the air
2. there's a temperature change from inside to outside your chamber.

that's it. you can't use it to eyeball humidity, it just doesn't work that way.

edit:
Quote:

fr33d0mfry said:
By the way, the quote was taken from wikipedia, which I understand is notorious for misinformation, but the quote in my above post is 100% spot on for sure.

wikipedia's about as accurate as encyclopedia britannica, so i would say that wikipedia's reputation is unfounded

--------------------

Edited by scubabuddha (01/05/09 02:59 PM)

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: scubabuddha]
    #9551654 - 01/05/09 03:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Condensation HELPS humidity, that I do know.......but yes I agree it is not a sure sign that things are 95% humid....as pin setting needs to be very humid.

--------------------
Drug chemicals are going to be more abundant and survive longer than any anti-drug agendas.  Some of us are just ahead of the game, we already know what the future will understand.  Drugs weren't bad but how some people used them were and some people just were bad because they had to be.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: TreeMoss]
    #9551675 - 01/05/09 03:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Condensation deos not help humidity. If its not in the air, the moisture no good sitting on the walls.

My bedroom wall gets condensation on it in the winter. Is my RH in the room 95%+??

No, its below 60%. if a surface is cold enough, moisture will condense out of the air onto that surface. Whether rh is high or not.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: scubabuddha]
    #9551678 - 01/05/09 03:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well hold on I never said you could eye a percent. I simply said it's a good way to gauge humidity.

If I am understanding the OP correctly he should see most if not all of the condensation near the substrate because that is the only thing producing heat (Which is a small amount anyway).

I was always under the impression that in MOST cases condensation occurs from... well high levels of humidity (water vapor in the air)

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets

Offlinebakamono
Wana match?
Male

#9551686 - 01/05/09 03:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

But don't be confused, high humidity will call condensation on the walls of your fc.

Edited by bakamono (01/05/09 03:14 PM)

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9551692 - 01/05/09 03:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Condensation deos not help humidity. If its not in the air, the moisture no good sitting on the walls.

My bedroom wall gets condensation on it in the winter. Is my RH in the room 95%+??

No, its below 60%. if a surface is cold enough, moisture will condense out of the air onto that surface. Whether rh is high or not.

Right but you are probably running a heater in your house in a cold environment which is why your walls are getting all that condensation. When you cultivate you do not use a heater for many projects that are normal to the board so it's safe to assume you can rule out the heater.

--------------------

How I get my Pinsets

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK
Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: fr33d0mfry]
    #9551705 - 01/05/09 03:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

what ? of course it is ... do you see condensation on your glass surfaces in your home ? no because the ambient humidity is probably only about 30 percent jack it up 70 % and you would ... humidity = moisture in air ... how does it get on the sides of your fc , magic ? no it pulls the moisture out of the air = humidity ...

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: RoYaL_fLuSh]
    #9551715 - 01/05/09 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Condensation does help humidity, damn man.

Spray the walls of a container and tell me it isn't more humid when you open it back up!

--------------------
Drug chemicals are going to be more abundant and survive longer than any anti-drug agendas.  Some of us are just ahead of the game, we already know what the future will understand.  Drugs weren't bad but how some people used them were and some people just were bad because they had to be.

Offlinebakamono
Wana match?
Male

#9551716 - 01/05/09 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My sliding glass door has condensation due to me breaking the outer pane of glass, which ruins the insulation of the 2 panes.

Offlinebakamono
Wana match?
Male

#9551717 - 01/05/09 03:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TreeMoss said:
Condensation does help humidity, damn man.

Spray the walls of a container and tell me it isn't more humid when you open it back up!

That is NOT condensation.

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9551720 - 01/05/09 03:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RoYaL_fLuSh said:
what ? of course it is ... do you see condensation on your glass surfaces in your home ? no because the ambient humidity is probably only about 30 percent jack it up 70 % and you would ... humidity = moisture in air ... how does it get on the sides of your fc , magic ? no it pulls the moisture out of the air = humidity ...

Right I think the post should be changed to

"Condensation is not an accurate gauge of humidity"

- Dictionary.com ( Reputable )

The process by which a gas or vapor changes to a liquid. - Condensation.

Now unless you are spraying tons of oust in your room there has to be water vapor in the air meaning that humidity is present.

--------------------

How I get my Pinsets

Edited by Jitsu (01/05/09 03:19 PM)

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9551735 - 01/05/09 03:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:banghead:
Condensation is not a sign of correct humidity. For the record, 60, 70 or 80 is not the correct humidity for a FC. 95 is.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Offlinexbrutalx233
Learner
Male

Loc: Planet X
Re: For the record, EVERYONE should read this [Re: dead]
    #9551762 - 01/05/09 03:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

People always want it their way.

--------------------
:mushroom2:

:mushroom2:

I do not grow anything that is illegal... Everything is of the legal variety... if someone mentions any illegal activity it isn't me...

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

#9551767 - 01/05/09 03:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ya, so you spray a vapor and it becomes condensation.

So I also for the record never ever disagreed that condensation is not an indication of humidity.....nor that anything other 95% is your goal...think even 98% for pin set.......but it is hard to dial that shit in spot on without some electronic self automated gear.

This thread should be closed, it is obvious to anyone what is correct and what is not........established

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9551776 - 01/05/09 03:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My FC has a humidity of 98-99 all the time, except when I fan it.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineTreeMoss
I live in a Fox Hole

#9551795 - 01/05/09 03:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That is pretty damn good!  Your using a casing?  Do you pump in warm moist air?  I have yet to tried that.......I would like to make a nice one...well, a good cheap one.

--------------------

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK
    #9551800 - 01/05/09 03:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i agree that just because you got some condensation on ur fc doesn't mean its to the correct level but to say its not a result of above average humidity is just stupid .. i haven't used a Rh gauge since my first grow ... cant be bothered ... if you've grown once you know what it needs to be by eyeballing it ... one way i can tell is not by the amount of condensation but the speed in which it forms ... condensation can sit on a surface for ages .. just because you got some beads doesn't mean they are constantly forming ... so for the record i think speed of condensation formation is a 'good' way to gauge humidity ...

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9551815 - 01/05/09 03:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RoYaL_fLuSh said:
i agree that just because you got some condensation on ur fc doesn't mean its to the correct level but to say its not a result of above average humidity is just stupid .. i haven't used a Rh gauge since my first grow ... cant be bothered ... if you've grown once you know what it needs to be by eyeballing it ... one way i can tell is not by the amount of condensation but the speed in which it forms ... condensation can sit on a surface for ages .. just because you got some beads doesn't mean they are constantly forming ... so for the record i think speed of condensation formation is a 'good' way to gauge humidity ...

Totally agreed, I haven't used a Hygrometer in months. Although whenever I make a new chamber I like to compare.

Treemoss - you don't want any kind of warm moist air coming into your FC. It's a breeding ground for contamination! :> The casing is there to provide a "Micro Climate" raising humidity levels and inducing a "Better" pinset :>

--------------------

How I get my Pinsets

Edited by Jitsu (01/05/09 03:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order