Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing???
    #9548041 - 01/04/09 11:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Like if I harvest one fruit, is it possible for another in the next or from subsequent flushes to grow in the same spot, or is that spot for all practical purposes useless for the remainder of that tub/tray's life?

-Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: CDS]
    #9548047 - 01/04/09 11:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yes... it happens all the time

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: P.Menace]
    #9548063 - 01/04/09 11:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to the wild world of clusters. Like menace's sig picture.

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: Shroominit]
    #9548086 - 01/04/09 11:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

believe it or not... thats not just any cluster... the whole tub was grown from end to end like that
that just happened to be one that contained them cool ass caps so i plucked up whatever i got and took a pic

--------------------

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: P.Menace]
    #9548100 - 01/04/09 11:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I really like that cluster and I believe they grew that way, I've seen oysters and lions mane grow in the weirdest of weird ways.

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548109 - 01/04/09 11:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Isn't a cluster from a single flush though? Like if you harvest that cluster, you're saying more can grow from the same spot?...

The reason I ask is because when I harvest mature fruits from my tub, try as I may to twist it off/remove it evenly, there is some of the stem left on the sub...

When you harvest, are you supposed to remove that little nub thats left with a knife or something? If not, will it rot? And can more fruits grow from that spot if the piece of the previous fruit's stem remains???

-THanks

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: CDS]
    #9548128 - 01/04/09 11:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

pull it up and take substrate with it and still have shit grow... i guess i dont understand the question fully... or honestly it may just be that dumb

--------------------

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9548147 - 01/04/09 11:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

lol, what he said. Most people have trouble not taking a chunk of myc/substrate with the mushroom fruit body. Why would you break it off at the stem?

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: Shroominit]
    #9548286 - 01/04/09 11:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well it's not a dumb question so I guess I just need to clarify...

There's only like a mm or two of the stem left on the sub...

I usually don't have a problem removing them but this one was huge (like 35g wet) and hollow and therefore not so easy to remove without a little remaining...

My question is: can another fruit grow from the same spot or is that specific spot depleted of nutrients?

If not I assume the mycelium must recover in the spot previously occupied before another fruit can grow, right?

-Thanks

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9548311 - 01/04/09 11:44 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Spots don't get depleted of nutes. Other shrooms can grow there, but if you have stuff left behind, it's unlikely to start growing in the same spot.

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548340 - 01/04/09 11:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, so I will clean up that spot with a paring knife or something and I will be good to go for the rest of my flushes...

Thanks for the help everyone!

OfflineMad Merlyn
Userper of Magic
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Adams County
    #9548385 - 01/04/09 11:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CDS said:
Well it's not a dumb question so I guess I just need to clarify...

There's only like a mm or two of the stem left on the sub...

I usually don't have a problem removing them but this one was huge (like 35g wet) and hollow and therefore not so easy to remove without a little remaining...

My question is: can another fruit grow from the same spot or is that specific spot depleted of nutrients?

If not I assume the mycelium must recover in the spot previously occupied before another fruit can grow, right?

-Thanks

Its not a Dumb question.
Technically the "area" where the first fruit grew has nothing at all to do with where the next fruit form, Have you ever had the Mycelium climb the sides of the tub or a bag then fruit above the level of the substrate? It happens, so technically speaking a primordial hyphal knott can form anywhere regardless of what the previous fruiting did.
Hope that helps clear up both sides some here.

--------------------
Time is the Greatest Truth, Life is the Biggest Lie

BELIEVE

It's Gonna Get Fuckin' Ugly!

Invisiblebillyboy36
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: Mad Merlyn]
    #9549801 - 01/05/09 07:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It's not likely that the next following flush will have a fruit grow in the exactly the same spot.  The time table of a "second" flush usually comes in so quickly after the "first" flush that the myc in that exact spot doesn't have enough time to recover and make pins there before the "second" flush comes in.  That's why if you have a full surface canopy on the first flush, you can expect very spotty fruiting for the second and a lot of the times fruiting will happen on the edges of the substrate as that has now pulled away exposing more fruiting surface to FA and light.  But then the "third" flush can have more fruits on the surface where the "first" flush was picked due to the time the myc has to recover there.  It's been argued that these, "first", "second", "third", etc. flushes are just various stages of the substrate using up it's available surface area and nutrients for fruiting.  I know that sounds a little silly, but if you could get a fruit on every available spot for the "first" flush, you're substrate would be spent.  Hence getting full coverage canopy on the first flush will guarantee that fruiting the substrate for more than a few flushes is wasting space compared to the size of the substrate and it's output.  At least in theory.  And it's not ridiculous to think that once an area has fruited the nutrients in the area aren't used up.  Myc is efficient; it's going to use the nutrients that are available closest to the fruit it's supplying.  Even though myc is a network able to transport nutrients, it's not a very efficient way to bring them all the way from the bottom of the substrate to supply fruits on the top.  It also takes time.  So it's going to produce fruits in the areas that haven't been fruited upon first.  At least that's how I see things working. lol

Edit:  One also has to remember that there are only so many available nutrients for fruiting and the rest are to keep the substrate itself alive.  It's like a chain of people passing food; some of that food needs to be used to feed the chain of people passing the food itself.

Edited by billyboy36 (01/05/09 07:41 AM)

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Can more than one fruit grow from the same spot on the surface of the substrate/casing??? [Re: billyboy36]
    #9550087 - 01/05/09 09:25 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes - you can get reknotting/primordia/fruits growing in the same exact spots where you've already harvested fruits, if you harvest correctly and limit damage to the mycelium.  I usually see this happen on first flush fruits that I've picked - by the 4th or 5th flush, you get new fruits from "used" spots.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate