Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTBTVox
Stranger

Probably a silly question...
    #9542172 - 01/04/09 05:26 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Bear with me, thinking aloud.

Lets pretend I just had a small aluminum tray of myc give a few flushes.  Dunked, another flush. NOW, is the myc done and ready to be thrown out? OR, could i take the tray and slice it in half like a hamburger, and put one of the halfs of myc into another tray of similar size with fresh manure/nutrients?  Will the myc take over the "new substrate" and produce more flushes, cutting out the time to colonize another jar to spawn with?

Does this work?

Any links on the topic?

Sry, I dont know the technical name of this technique to search for...but nothing i have read previously mentioned something like this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNlightNd1
∇Δ∇Δ∇Δ∇
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holographic Omniverse
Re: Probably a silly question... [Re: TBTVox]
    #9542175 - 01/04/09 05:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I have tried this before but I failed to get the mycelium to produce any mushrooms. It's probably possible though.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and floatdown stream. It is not dying. Lay down all thought, surrender to the void. It is shining.

:darkside: Pink Floyd :darkside:

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9542178 - 01/04/09 05:29 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

No it doesn't work. A substrate in the fruiting mode doesn't want to go back to colonization mode. Just make a new one.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Probably a silly question... [Re: dead]
    #9542191 - 01/04/09 05:43 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I beg to differ.
I felt adventurous and did just that with a half spent hobo cake (substrate in a trashbag in a shoe carton). I wasn't satisfied with the size of the fruits and realized the cake was only about 1" thick. Well, I used leftover spawn and substrate. So I made some new substrate (coir, straw, coffee grinds, verm) and crumbled the old cake to the new substrate. That was 5 days ago and I just peeked in yesterday and there definitely is mycelium ripping through the substrate. It's colonizing and it is colonizing fast.
I don't know what the outcome will be and might be facing contamination issues due to the exposure of the cake to open air for a prolonged time, but it was cased with straight verm and thus I might be lucky.
Like I said, it is just an experiment and I am not expecting too much, but hey... you never know unless you try it.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineTBTVox
Stranger

Re: Probably a silly question... [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9542199 - 01/04/09 05:49 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for every ones input!

German Kahuna- PLEASE keep me updated with your experiment...one my run is done i mite just give it a try too

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9542207 - 01/04/09 05:53 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Right on. I just wouldn't wait until the cake is like, well, "ancient". Mine wasn't even half spent and in the middle of fruiting mode.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleNlightNd1
∇Δ∇Δ∇Δ∇
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holographic Omniverse
    #9542210 - 01/04/09 05:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah that probably makes a big difference. The cakes I used were completely out of nutrients.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and floatdown stream. It is not dying. Lay down all thought, surrender to the void. It is shining.

:darkside: Pink Floyd :darkside:

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Probably a silly question... [Re: NlightNd1]
    #9542214 - 01/04/09 06:00 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The mycelium should still grow on the new nutrients.
However, I am not suggesting this as an appropriate tek for continuous growing operations, because starting off with fresh substrate full of nutes and no contams is always the better choice. This is purely experimental.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9542240 - 01/04/09 06:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Just in case anyone goes "Pics or it didn't happen!":

Like I said, I have already harvested from the cakes I used for this and there wasn't really a whole lot of spawn to work with.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9542464 - 01/04/09 07:49 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It works, just not very well and the results are poor so it is not a very good option really.

If you have ever grown weed you'll understand this example: it is like taking clones from an already flowering plant. Works, but the results are sucky.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #9542475 - 01/04/09 07:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i would just be worried about contamination mainly.  i think you would be better off personally just to use some fresh spawn to mix in with that manure.  bury that spent bulk outside and start fresh.  not saying it wont work, just saying your odds are way better starting fresh.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck