Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegoose2r
Stranger
 User Gallery
Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) * 1
    #9534162 - 01/02/09 08:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here are some pics of one of my greenhouses with the fogger, thermostat and hygrometer...it stays at a perfect 90-95% humidity and 72 degrees F all the time with no water droplets on trays, shelves, etc.  I have four 4" square holes cut into the greenhouse for FAE (besides the FAE offered by the fogger).

I use the "Repti Fogger" from Zoo Med and the "500 Watt Temperature Controller" from R-Zilla with a ceramic space heater from amazon along with the "Precision Hair Hygromiter" from HAAR.  ALL electronics are plugged into a grounded 16gauge surge protector and I have the space heater on a separate surge protector and circuit for additional safety.  I run the fogger with a special 'repeat cycle timer' which offers off time as short as one minute!  A big problem I have with all other cycle timers is they offer an off time of 5 minutes which is too long in my situation.  Besides, I prefer finer grained control... 

I tried using an impeller cool-mist (Vics 420) but it could not keep the humidity over 90% WITHOUT covering the greenhouse in water droplets.  I keep the RH in the room around 50-60%.  I live in an area where it gets fairly cold and arid in the winter.  It is hard to keep humidity high (90-95%) in the greenhouse without keeping the RH of the room over 50%.  I use a few impeller cool mists in the room running on a repeat cycle of 15 min on and 15 min off.

• I am not listing the greenhouse I use because you can use these directions on any type of FC.  Be it a 'Martha' or a real greenhouse like the one most of us use (from Target).

• The links I offer for the products are some of the least expensive prices I found.  BigApple Pet supply also has very good prices on all products I am listing (except the hygrometer in both cases).

Repti-Fogger:
It has a dial which adjusts the amount of fog emitted and a 1 liter reservoir bottle.  I switched out the 1 liter bottle for a plastic 2 liter soda bottle.  This way I can go out of town for a few days...

Thermostat:

EDIT:
I am ordering a different thermostat than the one listed below and in the pics.  There is an issue with wattage, the R-Zilla thermostat can only handle 500watts.  So I need a thermostat which is rated higher.  I am going to use the Ranco HERE ($49.00), it requires very minor wiring to a low gauge cord.  When I get my Ranco I will updated this thread with pics and a how-to for wiring it (it's minor).  Later in this thread RogerRabbit and stealthc tell me how I am in danger of a fire and they are serious.  So don't' buy the R-Zilla.  I am goign to buy the Ranco but RogerRabbbit also listed another good option in place of the R-Zilla.  I am leaving the info/pics of the R-Zilla as it was, otherwise a few posts in this thread would not make sense.

This is neat and fairly inexpensive.  It turns OFF a heat source once a preset temperature is reached.  A big problem for some greenhouses is condensation on the walls due to temperature variation inside/outside the greenhouse.  My fix for that is to put the thermostat sensor INSIDE of the greenhouse, now I have no condensation.  This offers two additional benefits which help you save money:
  1. I keep my house thermostat at 68 degrees F all winter but we need greater than 70 degrees for p.cubensis.  By using the R-Zilla thermostat connected to the space heater I can ONLY heat the room where I grow mushrooms. 

2. By placing the thermostat sensor inside the greenhouse it allows the heater to run less while the lights are on.  I have two, 2' fluoros which provide a little heat (about 1 degree).  The heat from the lights is used by the thermostat senor so my room temp is 69-71 F and greenhouse temp 72-73 F while the lights are on.  When the lights are off the room temperature and greenhouse temperature are the same: 72 F.

Repeat Cycle Timer:
Like I mentioned, I prefer this timer because it offers a very short off time of one minute.  I like having finer grained control as I can tweak the time settings to prevent water droplets from build up in the greenhouse.

• ($85.00) HERE
    (Scroll to bottom of page)

Hygrometer:
There are many crappy hygrometers out there and only a few 'types' are trustworthy.  Hair (either human or synthetic) are the most accurate.  Some people like sling hygrometers but they rely too much on the skill of the user for accuracy.  If you spend less than $30.00 you have a crappy hygrometer (unless it's used, etc).

• +/-5% RH ($34.00) HERE
    (I use that one ^^ and I LOVE IT!  Very, very accurate and easy to calibrate.  Also the least expensive 'good' hair hygrometer I found.)

• +/-4% RH ($66.00) HERE

• +/-3% RH ($172.00) HERE
    (This is the industrie's best as far as I know, its an Abbeon.  It even comes calibrated with a certificate of calibration!)

Ceramic Space Heater:
I use a Lesko space heater model "754200" from amazon.  I set it to 90 degrees F (turn the dial half way) so whenever the R-Zilla thermostat turns on the space heater the space heater will produce heat. 

EDIT:
The following info is no longer relevant once I have the Ranco.  This info is about the R-Zilla thermostat.

One thing to note is I keep the space heater on the low setting but even that draws 900watts.  The thermostat is only rated for 500watts so I am overloading the thermostat a little but I have not noticed any ill effects (like wire heat, etc).

...All told it will cost you about $210.00 (no including shipping) to buy all the products I listed (no including greenhouse)...HTH

-goose2r

Edited by goose2r (01/03/09 11:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: goose2r]
    #9534175 - 01/02/09 08:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

thats pretty cool :thumbup:

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: goose2r]
    #9534189 - 01/02/09 08:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Pretty Sweet dude.. How long does the fogger water last for before you need to refill it..

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: Damion5050]
    #9534227 - 01/02/09 08:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I am in the process of setting up a greenhouse but I am making a home made fogger with a 8 gallon reservoir..

Invisibleviolentjoe0o
eoj
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: Damion5050]
    #9534289 - 01/02/09 08:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Man I just made a fogger too but i didn't put a reservoir on it and i have to refill it like every 4 or 5 hour's.But now
I cant even use it cuz where I have my Martha it is far too cold and to have a space heater on it blows the circuit every time.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: violentjoe0o]
    #9534306 - 01/02/09 08:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

violentjoe0o said:
Man I just made a fogger too but i didn't put a reservoir on it and i have to refill it like every 4 or 5 hour's.But now
I cant even use it cuz where I have my Martha it is far too cold and to have a space heater on it blows the circuit every time.

Can you put the heater on another circuit ??

Here is a link to the style of fogger I am making

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6252361#6252361

Invisibleviolentjoe0o
eoj
Male User Gallery

#9534351 - 01/02/09 08:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hell yea that's sweet I just made mine with a little 19 qt tub.And no it's a little utility shed ran off of the garage I would have to run an extension cord to it from the house.I tried putting some heat mats in it but it wouldn't hold temp and the fogger wouldn't work cuz I'm guessing temp diff's between the fog and the air in the fc.I was thinking of maybe putting a warm steam humidifier in there you think that would help?

Offlinegoose2r
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9534354 - 01/02/09 08:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
Pretty Sweet dude.. How long does the fogger water last for before you need to refill it..

Thanks.

With my 'winter' time settings of 7 min on and 4 min off a full bottle will last about 2-3 days.  There is about a 2" deep reservoir  in the base of the fogger too :smile:.

Oh yea, I messed up on two pics of the greenhouse so I'm uploading them now to the first post.  They will be of the greenhouse and the hose of the fogger going into the greenhouse:

-goose2r

Edited by goose2r (01/02/09 09:13 PM)

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: violentjoe0o]
    #9534370 - 01/02/09 08:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

violentjoe0o said:
Hell yea that's sweet I just made mine with a little 19 qt tub.And no it's a little utility shed ran off of the garage I would have to run an extension cord to it from the house.I tried putting some heat mats in it but it wouldn't hold temp and the fogger wouldn't work cuz I'm guessing temp diff's between the fog and the air in the fc.I was thinking of maybe putting a warm steam humidifier in there you think that would help?

Well if you look at that link agar puts a fish tank heater into his reservoir to keep the water temp up..

Invisibleviolentjoe0o
eoj
Male User Gallery

#9534374 - 01/02/09 08:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That's sweet man i saw one of those fogger's somewhere while i was out shopping.I wish I could put mine in the house:(.

Offlinegoose2r
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9534375 - 01/02/09 08:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
I am in the process of setting up a greenhouse but I am making a home made fogger with a 8 gallon reservoir..

Yea I'm doing the same, though not 8 gallons, lol.  You going somewhere for a few weeks? :wink:.  I want to rig a 1-2 gallon water bottle to the neck/thread of the 2 liter bottle somehow...

-goose2r

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9534382 - 01/02/09 08:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Run the heater in the room, not in the greenhouse itself. Heaters are not designed for 90% ambient humidity. Never use a thermostat rated lower than the device it controls.  Doing so is a fire hazard.  If the heater doesn't have a built in thermostat, you can get 'line voltage thermostats' at your local hardware store.

The cool mists in your room can run 24/7 if necessary.  I run two in my house all winter, since it's below zero and I have a wood stove cranked up pretty darn hot most of the time, which really dries out the air.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegoose2r
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9534392 - 01/02/09 08:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My settings:

I run my fogger with an ON time of 7 minutes and an OFF time of 4 minutes in the arid winter months.  I have my foggers intensity dial set to halfway.  I have my thermostat set to 72 degrees F and the fogger settings provide 90-95% RH.

A few more notes:

• If you want to add more than one greenhouse then you need to buy a fogger for each additional greenhouse but you do not need anything else.  I run all my foggers off one timer and move the hygrometer from greenhouse to greenhouse...

• I tried the digital Humidistat-thermostat from Zoo-Med called the "Hygrotherm" ($75.00).  It controls humidity from 15-95% and has temperature control too (day/night, heat and cool).  I really had high hopes for this humidistat but it let me down.  It worked well for a few days and was VERY accurate when compared to my hygrometer.  The company claims +/-1$% RH.  It's too bad because after a few days it started reading 95% as 85% when compared to my hygrometer which is always correct (and calibrated). 

• ($75.00) HERE

Edited by goose2r (01/02/09 08:48 PM)

Invisibleviolentjoe0o
eoj
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: Damion5050] * 1
    #9534402 - 01/02/09 08:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yea I have a fish tank heater in there,but the problem is the fc temp.I have the fogger inside it works great then I take it out to the GH and it don't blow out fog.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9534403 - 01/02/09 08:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

No not really going anywhere it's just that I work full time go to school part time and have a wife and a son.. So I am constantly busy.. So the less I have to worry about messing with the greenhouse the better.. I just want to be able to set trays in there and come back in a week to pick my fruits and dunk the trays for the next flush..

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9534405 - 01/02/09 08:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

What is your GH temp ?

Offlinegoose2r
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Easy hi-tec automated greenhouse! (fogger, thermostat, hygrometer, etc) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9534409 - 01/02/09 08:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Run the heater in the room, not in the greenhouse itself. Heaters are not designed for 90% ambient humidity. Never use a thermostat rated lower than the device it controls.  Doing so is a fire hazard.  If the heater doesn't have a built in thermostat, you can get 'line voltage thermostats' at your local hardware store.

Yea I'm doing that this weekend.  Thanks for the item name, I was going blind to the store.  I didn't realize my space heater was over 500watts until I got it in the mail. :frown:

Quote:

The cool mists in your room can run 24/7 if necessary.  I run two in my house all winter, since it's below zero and I have a wood stove cranked up pretty darn hot most of the time, which really dries out the air.

I find if I do that I get a bit of condensation on the floor and with a 15 on 15 off schedule I don't have to refill for 2 days.

-goose2r

Edited by goose2r (01/02/09 08:39 PM)

Invisibleviolentjoe0o
eoj
Male User Gallery

#9534425 - 01/02/09 08:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well right now I just shut everything down cuz of the heater issue I could keep it on low so the highest temp i could keep it was like 50-55.I thought about taking a fish tank or something and putting a heater in it and running a hose to the GH or something like that.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9534431 - 01/02/09 08:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Wow that is why your fogger was not working outside way to cold.. Try making a heatbomb.. That may help..

Offlinegoose2r
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9534436 - 01/02/09 08:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

Will it work with a external sensor?  Another option is the Ranco thermostat, I think it's rated higher and it's only about $50.00:

http://www.allthermal.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ETC-111000&Category_Code=

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom